Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-10-2008   #1
shawn76ers
Texan Genius

Default Dead Weight

It's time to cut the dead weight on this team...especially after watching the game tonight.

Bye Bye Weaver, Ahman, Faggins & Damaged goods Chris Taylor "Reminds of the Spencer situation"

And i hope everyone notice how m. greenwood sat on his ass & watched cutler run 15 yds for that TD , he is getting slower & slower each yr.
shawn76ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #2
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Dead Weight

Faggins didn't seem like dead weight tonight. He got beat sometimes but he also made his share of plays. It wasn't like Greenwood getting beaten around the corner by a qb.
Old 08-10-2008   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Faggins didn't seem like dead weight tonight. He got beat sometimes but he also made his share of plays. It wasn't like Greenwood getting beaten around the corner by a qb.
...by a qb with the diabetes.

Cutler could have whipped his device and performed a finger-prick test while running that TD, and Greenwood would have still been beaten.
Old 08-10-2008   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I have been one of the most vocal opponents of Faggins, but he had a pretty good game tonight. He's never going to be a cover corner, but he made some good plays in run support tonight, and he got his man to the ground very well.

Greenwood's speed has never impressed me, and all I heard about when he came here was how fast he was for a LB.

Ahman's got to go. Taylor didn't impress me. Weaver I didn't watch.

I have not reviewed my DVR yet, so this is all from my initial thoughts at the game.
Old 08-10-2008   #5
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn76ers View Post
It's time to cut the dead weight on this team...especially after watching the game tonight.

Bye Bye Weaver, Ahman, Faggins & Damaged goods Chris Taylor "Reminds of the Spencer situation"

And i hope everyone notice how m. greenwood sat on his ass & watched cutler run 15 yds for that TD , he is getting slower & slower each yr. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/ima...ies/jogger.gif
I thought Faggins had a pretty nice game tonight.
Old 08-10-2008   #6
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
...by a qb with the diabetes.

Cutler could have whipped his device and performed a finger-prick test while running that TD, and Greenwood would have still been beaten.
Just because he has diabetes, does not make him less of a football player.
Old 08-10-2008   #7
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 304 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't see how anyone can say that we should cut Faggins after last night. I guess it is all the negatives from previous seasons built up because as stated a few times already, Faggins played a good game.

I was very impressed by D. Brown last night (initial thoughts).

Taylor and Green both concern me. Has any thought been given to the field causing some of the leg and knee problems we seem to always have?

Overall: very sloppy game. You could tell there hasn't been much hitting going on during TC.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2008   #8
shawn76ers
Texan Genius

when i say that Faggins had a bad game...i am specifically talking about his abilty to stop the RB coming out of the backfield...
yea-he looked descent against denvers 2nd string WR's - but they are nobodies.

HE repeatedly took bad angles & to me seemed scared to make that big hit on #23 for denver.
shawn76ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #9
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Petey didn't play real bad, but he makes to much money to be a dime CB. Ahman Green is not going to make it and I didn't think glenn earl played very well either.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

AhMonI'm-Injured-Again Green is a waste of a roster spot. Screw it, let him go and do the best with what we have left.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #11
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Come on guy its the first game that isn't for real. Greenwood will eventually be replaced by a faster more athletic Xavier Adibi, but not in the first preseason game. By the way, no one ever accused Cutler of being slow....he was coming right at us and that dude was moving pretty good.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i thought it was a solid first outing.. plenty of room for improvement especially in the run game etc but some bright spots roo..
im not going to critique anybody/overreact too bad after this game

despite the knee jerk reactions, i think we should keep ahman around though
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched the game twice already. Here are some things that haven't been mentioned and some things that need to be emphasized again:

Duane Brown seems capable of handling the outside rush. He got absolutely blown up on a few bull rushes that scare me since they were coming from a "speed" rusher.

I am saying "I told you so" about Green. I will never post on this board again if you can find a post of mine saying he was a good pick up. Not once.

Bennett looked to have a difficult time closing and was beat down the seam (QB and WR didn't communicate though).

Faggins did not have a "good" game. He was slow to close the gap on screens and couldn't contain a RB on a dumpoff that he had a pretty easy play on.

The most impressive DB tonight was #21 Fletcher. He showed good technique in man coverage and was willing to stick a man or two. I liked that he didn't give a huge cushion.

Shaub didn't appear to have the best arm strength as he floated a few passes.

Sage didn't look too sharp.

#16 Carter will not make this team after that drop.

Slaton showed good promise at RB and at KR. He should see an increase in his snaps next week, even if Green returns.

Mario was amazing. He couldn't be blocked. e came across the entire OL to make a backside tackle at the LOS.

Ryans looked good filling the gaps and getting through the gaps.

Okoye had two really nice plays where he blew trough the line to get into the backfield.
Old 08-10-2008   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn76ers View Post
when i say that Faggins had a bad game...i am specifically talking about his abilty to stop the RB coming out of the backfield...
yea-he looked descent against denvers 2nd string WR's - but they are nobodies.

HE repeatedly took bad angles & to me seemed scared to make that big hit on #23 for denver.
Faggins takes rotten angles...consistently. I texted out an angle comment last night to some friends when he blew that one play. I thought he tackled well otherwise.

On the greenwood play (non-play) he also took a rotten angle when Cutler took off...he ran right at Cutler at first when he left his coverage instead of taking the angle to the corner of the field. That made him look much slower than he actually is (lack of football instinct).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #15
big homey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Duane Brown seems capable of handling the outside rush. He got absolutely blown up on a few bull rushes that scare me since they were coming from a "speed" rusher.
If you're talking about Elvis Dumervil, he's been praised for his ability to bull rush despite his size. It's a leverage/hand-placement thing that Brown will have to work on.

Quote:
Faggins did not have a "good" game. He was slow to close the gap on screens and couldn't contain a RB on a dumpoff that he had a pretty easy play on.
Amongst those few plays he had several other ones where he was able to bring the ball carrier quickly and reliably. Not saying he's pushing for even a nickel spot, but he ought to make the 53.

Quote:
Shaub didn't appear to have the best arm strength as he floated a few passes.
I'll have to catch the replay for this one, but Schaub looked sharp to me. I don't think he even threw downfield enough to "float" anything.

Quote:
Okoye had two really nice plays where he blew trough the line to get into the backfield.
Plus, had he not gotten deathlocked on Cutler's TD, Cutler wouldn't have even broken containment.

Also, it looked like the whole Broncos' front 7 was committing to Taylor's carries, and I also saw 8 in the box pretty often. In a real game the playcalling would have shifted away from the run, but I believe Kubiak was more concerned with giving Taylor his carries. Give it couple weeks before you rag on him.

I agree with the rest of your assessment, but my opinions may change once they show the game again (I'm just going off what I thought I saw at the game last night).
Old 08-10-2008   #16
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
Come on guy its the first game that isn't for real. Greenwood will eventually be replaced by a faster more athletic Xavier Adibi, but not in the first preseason game. By the way, no one ever accused Cutler of being slow....he was coming right at us and that dude was moving pretty good.
In Greenwood's defense he was in coverage running the other way when Cutler tucked and ran. I personaly want to see Adibi there this year, but call it what it was. He wasn't in a spy mode. I'm not picking on your quote I just started rambling. I agree with what you said.
Old 08-10-2008   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
In Greenwood's defense he was in coverage running the other way when Cutler tucked and ran. I personaly want to see Adibi there this year, but call it what it was. He wasn't in a spy mode. I'm not picking on your quote I just started rambling. I agree with what you said.
he was but he took a rotten angle and ran directly at Cutler when he should have taken more of a horizontal path. Greenwood wasted several steps as he had to adjust his angle on the fly and it was just too late then.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone else hear Andre Ware's comments about Ahman during the drive home last night? It was about 10:30ish I'm guessing - when he said ... my words not his but very close to I quote: 'I hope Ahman isn't trying to pull that old veteran trick to find a way to get yourself out of a (meaningless preseason) game because that won't set very well with Kubiak.' Vandermeer quickly went to Matt Jackson in the locker room where he did a really good post-game interview of Chris Myers.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #19
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Anyone else hear Andre Ware's comments about Ahman during the drive home last night? It was about 10:30ish I'm guessing - when he said ... my words not his but very close to I quote: 'I hope Ahman isn't trying to pull that old veteran trick to find a way to get yourself out of a (meaningless preseason) game because that won't set very well with Kubiak.' Vandermeer quickly went to Matt Jackson in the locker room where he did a really good post-game interview of Chris Myers.

thats really stupid..
he works really hard in the off-season but doesnt feel like playing 15 snaps? and the last thing he'd want to do after last season was 'fake' an injury.. this isnt robaore smith we're talking about here

do these 'experts' ever think something through before opening their traps?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ahman will be fine, imo. He felt a tweak in his groin, same as AJ. Both of them have a history of knee problems. Lets give them a chance. Its not like we have a better RB

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read