Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2008   #21
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown's performance vs the Broncos

question because I didn't see the game

I am so optimistic about hearing what y'all say about brown

but.. as NFL football fans .. (not Texan fans)

how would you rate him ..does he seem that good or is it the best that WE have seen in a steel blue uniform?

just taking a step back and wondering for conversation sake (because again, I didn't see the game) and two it is vanilla out there on the defenses
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #22
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

how would you rate him ..does he seem that good or is it the best that WE have seen in a steel blue uniform?

just taking a step back and wondering for conversation sake (because again, I didn't see the game) and two it is vanilla out there on the defenses
Objectively, he seemed "OK" to me. Not great. He missed some assignments in the run game.

But he was going against Dumerville and in pass protection, he held up just fine. He didn't make mental errors (that I could see). No penalties.

So... considering that he's a rook, that's pretty damned impressive.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #23
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

The best thing that Duane did against the Broncos was . . . play. Contrast with the two OT prospects that most of us were hoping againse hope would fall to us (Chris Williams and Brandon Albert--cue the I-told-you-so's to now bombard the thread with, "I didn't want Williams because I'm sooo stinkin' brilliant.").

I cannot claim to have watched the tape nearly as close as others within this thread. But what I did see was that it was not open season on our QB's backsides--aside from the one corner blitz that would not have been Brown's responsibility. Of course, Dumervil is the prototype speed rusher, so who knows if he can handle a pure bull rush.

Our run blocking was not good, but I am not prepared to say that Brown was the only culprit. He clearly has some work to do. Which is pretty much what you'd expect from a rookie who saw seven players at his position picked ahead of him.

If Brown can take his lumps without forcing his QBs to take theirs, I'm OK with having him play his way through his learning curve.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #24
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks for the responses I was curious
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #25
Dancerdog
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Dancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVP

I want to see how he performs against the Saints. If there is one thing Denver's defense knows, it's the ZBS. They practice against it all the time. Maybe Duane's run blocking will look better against the Saints.
Dancerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #26
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO Duane played better, maybe far better than Clady who was the top LT drafted this past spring. But then Dumerville was a lesser assignment than Mario.
Good first game for Duane, now he's got Will Smith in NOLA who will be much stronger than Dumervile.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #27
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well he isn't Joe Thomas...and he's never going to be. Want Joe Thomas type you've gotta lose 12+ games or give up a bunch of picks. And in seven years here, I've seen no one advocating that. Considering two of the guys I was hot for Brandon Albert and Chriss Williams are already hurt....and the third Clady got the poodle collar put on him by Mario, I'd say we're ahead of the game. Saints feature a couple of good DEs...this will be the next step on the ladder for Duane Brown. I was very disappointed in the rushing attack....the only thing I can hang my hat on is I saw no, zilch, zero, back side cut blocks. I think Duane will excel at that.

The glaring thing to me on on the offensive line execution...and yeah I'm all for it- the play that Ahmen went gimpy on...o-lineman in space, two targets....we wiff one more time. Same 'ol same 'ol.

Gonna expend all of that energy to get out there, you gotta fall down ,at least fall in front of someones feet and make a road block. The only one we got who knows how to execute a block in space is Winston. And that's damned sad to me.

Someone was banging me last Thursday or Friday over my concern for our new center....well we're going to find out if Myers can throw his little skinny leg over the Cedric Ellis wall. Mr. Ellis if he's playing, will thin out the guard choices this weekend.

http://blackandgold.com/news/latest-...080426142.html

Last edited by threetoedpete; 08-12-2008 at 10:35 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read