Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-10-2008   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Duane Brown's performance vs the Broncos

How would you rate his performance? He got to see some time against Dumervil and watching it at Reliant Stadium I thought he did quite well aside from the time he was pushed back into Sage on our 2nd series the 3rd down before the FG.

Solid performance from the rookie in pass blocking, I didn't really notice them running to his side much. We didn't have much going running the ball against their starters. I thought our interior OL was getting beaten for most of the game.
Old 08-10-2008   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown's performance vs the Broncos

Brown looked pretty good in pass protection. Run blocking left a little something to be desired, but then again, the entire O-line wasn't exactly opening up the biggest holes ever.

Overall I'll take it, and it's a helluva lot better pick than Chris Williams has turned out to be.
Old 08-10-2008   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I think he's got the feet to hang with the edge rushers he'll be seeing. Dumervil is an elite edge rusher and Brown hung pretty nicely with him. His biggest problem though is going to be his lack of strength at the point of attack which will be exposed by the bullrushers he'll go up against. Its good that he's practicing against Mario for that but he's gonna have to add strength to be better equipped to handle that in the NFL.
Old 08-10-2008   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

my major concern is ONE can he stay healthy TWO can he break through the rookie wall THREE can Gibbs keep him going forward

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

If you grade his performance by number of sacks given up and number of penalties, he did well. I watched him during run blocking and he didn't excite me much.
Old 08-10-2008   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

He played better than I expected and in the regular season we will be able to give him plenty of help since Winston doesn't need much help on his side. I feel a little better about the prospects of him starting after watching him yesterday. As an aside, he looks a little out of shape for a guy who has to rely on being more of an athlete than other OT's though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

As I mentioned in another thread, he was eaten up by bull rushes.

When he would rail block to the second level, his LB would shed and continue about half the time it seemed. I am VERY nervous about him in the regular season. Run blocking to the left was not too good while he was in the game.
Old 08-10-2008   #8
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=YoungTexanFan;969582 Run blocking to the left was not too good while he was in the game.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, run blocking anywhere was not too good. I did not think that Brown was especially bad at run blocking, the whole line stunk it up.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Solid performance from the rookie in pass blocking, I didn't really notice them running to his side much. We didn't have much going running the ball against their starters. I thought our interior OL was getting beaten for most of the game.
Not trying to school you or anything, just wanted to point out an observation of mine.

In the ZBS running game, the big plays come on the backside of the play. Let's say they run to Winston's side. If the backside guard, center & Tackle cut their guys, there is a huge hole on the backside of the play. The defense is stuck on the front side of the play, and viola, big gain in the run game.

None of our guys were getting where they should've been on the backside... hence, there were no holes.

hopefully last nights game was exactly what they needed, to see the difference between practice, and game time. Hopefully, we'll see a dramatic change, as the preseason continues, and we get closer to Pittsburgh.
Old 08-10-2008   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Duane held his own and didn't commit any screw-ups last night, at least in any kind of major way. So I'd have to say he did a pretty dang effective job of busting his NFL cherry against the Broncos. And it has to be a huge positive for his confidance factor.
Regarding the run-blocking component of his game, we shouldn't forget that this was the first time that Duane and the rest of the Texans Olineman have excecuted Gibbs full-blown ZB schemes, cut-blocking and all.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #11
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
As I mentioned in another thread, he was eaten up by bull rushes.
Yeah, he gave up a little too much ground in pass protection, but to say he got eaten up is a little harsh. Duane missed one block on one running play, that's it. He stayed in front of his man on pass protection and the QB's were never in any danger from his side. I'd say that was pretty good, considering Chris Williams (14th pick) is having surgery for a herniated disc in his back and Gosder Cherilus (17th pick) was boo'ed by the crowd after his third penalty.

The kids got the tools and did a heck of a job for his first NFL game. I'd say we did pretty well with our 26th pick.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #12
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Duane held his own and didn't commit any screw-ups last night, at least in any kind of major way.
I'd say Duane made one screw up. On the first drive, somewhere around the Broncl's 30 yard line, we ran Taylor up the middle. The Bronco's DE stunted to the inside and Duane totally missed him. Taylor was hit at the line of scrimmage for little to no gain. While some wouldn't call it major because it wasn't a sack on the QB or anything dramatic like that, I would say major in the sense that Duane was wiffing at air. Still, all in all, I'd say it was a strong performance.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #13
pittbull3
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 pittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden cover

I thought Duane did a check of a job, in his first game, against, Non-Texan competition. Sometimes as fans we can trivialize the game. I would attribute it to playstation, old high school dreams, and ignorance....lol. It's extrememly tough in the NFL, and the jump from college to Pro is light years. All camp long, he goes against guys that he gets used to their respective technique, speed, and ability. For him to do as well as he did in pass protection was an awesome sight, against new competition. As for the run blocking, this is more line cohesive, therefore grades are hard to give. I give the kid an A- for pass protection, but a B overall, because he is part of the non-running production.
pittbull3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #14
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

As I said in another thread I didn't get to see the first quarter of the game but from the post in this thread and others I get the impression that our run game was basicaly like last years. Not good. Ok here is my little 2 cents on this. One problem with the ZBS is that they won't practice it against their own defense because of injury concerns. Thus this is the first time that they have been able to use it in a live contact type situation. I am not saying that I know the run game will come around but it is posible that what we saw last night is not what we will see once the O-line men are able to "practice" it a few more times this preseason. It MIGHT come around and be what we hope it to be.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
One problem with the ZBS is that they won't practice it against their own defense because of injury concerns. Thus this is the first time that they have been able to use it in a live contact type situation.
Well, they practice zone blocking. They just don't perform the actual cut blocks.

Another aspect to be considered is the Broncos familiarity with the ZBS. Their defense sees it twice a day. I would be very surprised if the Texans don't run the ball much better against the Saints, next week.
Old 08-10-2008   #16
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Well, they practice zone blocking. They just don't perform the actual cut blocks.

Another aspect to be considered is the Broncos familiarity with the ZBS. Their defense sees it twice a day. I would be very surprised if the Texans don't run the ball much better against the Saints, next week.
I didn't think about that but you are right about it.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #17
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Another aspect to be considered is the Broncos familiarity with the ZBS. Their defense sees it twice a day.
Bingo...

When a defense is always seeing the ZBS they learn to start reacting to steps...
Old 08-10-2008   #18
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, but when an offense is used to seeing a defense that is used to them and reacts to them, they learn to react to that; but, if they react to quickly, they pull their groins.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He convinced me he deserves to be our starter against Pittsburgh even if Salaam is 100% healthy. I always thought he'd be the type to groom into the role, play him during some games... and then finally start him 4-8 games in. I guess Kubiak really does know what he's doing LOL
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #20
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

A quick question for the Playstation/Madden head coach wannabes.

Step in your way back machine, remember the last 2 years and answer this simple question?

Who would you rather have guarding Schaub's backside? Duane Brown or Ephraim Salaam?
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read