Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-08-2008   #1
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1664 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Drafting Mario over VY

They are having a discussion about it here on the radio in CC. A lot of people especially the host are still saying we messed up by drafting Mario instead of VY. They say the same stuff, he led them to the playoffs, he sales tickets, you know. Anyway if y'all want to call in the # is 361-884-1230. Call in and show your Texans support.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!

Last edited by Brando; 08-08-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #2
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11948 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Drafting Mario over VY

Of course, at that time all the people who were wailing the loudest were complaining because we did not take Reggie Bush, not Vince Young. When Vince Young went #3 to the Titans, most of the experts thought that was a big mistake, and that the Titans should have drafted Matt Leinert instead. Some people obviously have either very short or very selective memories.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #3
Sal Rosenberg
All Pro

Rep Power: 110 Sal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
There having a discussion about it here on the radio in CC. A lot of people especailly the host are still saying we messed up by drafting Mario instead of VY. They say the same stuff, he led them to the playoffs, he sales tickets, you know. Anyway if y'all want to call in the # is 361-884-1230. Call in and show your Texans support.
I can not believe that people are still arguing this on the radio.Mario speaks for himself but i want to call in so bad
Sal Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #4
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1664 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Rosenberg View Post
I can not believe that people are still arguing this on the radio.Mario speaks for himself but i want to call in so bad
Do it!

You can email them also at sportslounge@espn1230.com I don't have the time to call in but I sent them an email.

Old 08-08-2008   #5
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Rosenberg View Post
I believe it, cause I have had 3 people in the last two weeks say it to me and with a straight face too.
Old 08-08-2008   #6
Brando
Site Contributor

This is what I emailed them.....keep in mind they were on location at a tobacco shop....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
You need to stop smoking there buddy. The Titans made the playoffs despite VY. The defense and Haynesworth took them to the playoffs. Yeah I said the defense got them there. He is not a West Coast QB another reason we didn't draft him. He scored a 6 on the Wonderlic and he also contemplated retirement after his rookie year. I don't want anybody with his mentality on my team. Also on the trade down....you can't do it if there is no one willing to trade with you. It takes 2 to tango. Who cares about merchandise and tickets sales? Championships are more important. Give the team a little break, Kubes took over a horrible team after the 2005 season(2-14) to (6-10)2006 to (8-8)2007. It maybe until next year until we win the Conference but we will make noise late in the year and sniff(if not make)the playoffs.

Go Texans!!!!!!!
By all means the show is off until Monday but it would be nice if we have a lot of emails for them when they get back. Come on guys and ladies, let'em have it!

Texans Pride!!!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2008   #7
pittbull3
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 pittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden cover

Can they get over it? Vince is a good athlete, that needs tons of help on defense and a dumbed down offense. The league will really catch up to that running crap this year.
pittbull3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-09-2008   #8
Sal Rosenberg
All Pro

Rep Power: 110 Sal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I believe it, cause I have had 3 people in the last two weeks say it to me and with a straight face too.
I might have told them never to speak to me about sports again
Sal Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #9
Brando
Site Contributor

Quote:
I feel your pain.

Old 08-09-2008   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If something is said often enough and long enough, it becomes perceived reality. Unless Mario become the second coming of Reggie White X 10 there will be a certain contingent of dipsticks that will only remember what was said when he was drafted.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just don't get it anymore... 2 years is enough.

The only reason Vince was a popular choice to come here is because he's from houston and just won the National Championship. We gave carr an $8million bonus and then we're to pay #1 money for another QB? On top of that, he wasn't concidered the #1 QB in the draft. Like mentioned, Tennessee was blasted in part because most 'experts' thought Leinart should go there with Chow.

Being from Houston and going to Texas doesn't all of a sudden make it OK to draft a player #1 instead of #3 or #10. It's a FOOTBALL decision (as CC said numerous times) not most popular or because he's the hometown kid.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 155499 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie Bush will never be as good at his position as Mario will be at his. Vince Young might, if properly surrounded by talent and good coaching. The Mario pick was a good one, and I'm glad it was made.

Now, two years ago I was against it, but hey, like a typical politician I've flip flopped my position. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

now- no way! Mario is the centerpiece of the Texans defense, flashes only upside actualizing his potential = to superstar atheletes in any sport.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I just don't get it anymore... 2 years is enough.
We knew when this started, that this was going to be part of it for the rest of Mario's career.... 3 years won't be enough... 4 years won't be enough.... Mario will have to remain a starter, and play at a high level for years.... good for us.

I don't think Reggie is going to be relegated to "back-up" status. He may never be "THE" playmaker, but he'll be a strong complimentary player, like a Reggie Wayne, or Houshmandzadah(sp)...

QBs aren't so lucky. Other than David Carr, no other QB will be given more than 4 years, to prove they should be a starter. It's obvious Fischer is using a different ruler/standard to judge Vince Young, than many on this board is using, but long story short, this is a make or break year for Vince...... not necessarily so for Mario.
Quote:
The only reason Vince was a popular choice to come here is because he's from houston and just won the National Championship. We gave carr an $8million bonus and then we're to pay #1 money for another QB? On top of that, he wasn't concidered the #1 QB in the draft. Like mentioned, Tennessee was blasted in part because most 'experts' thought Leinart should go there with Chow.
When this team paid David Carr that extra $8 mil, they were making the decision to pass on Vince Young. Doesn't really matter that they mad it in February, and not the Draft. They chose Reggie/Mario over Vince Young.

As a side note, Tenessee parting ways with Norm Chow shows how much Fischer(and the Titans) believe in Vince Young.
Quote:
Being from Houston and going to Texas doesn't all of a sudden make it OK to draft a player #1 instead of #3 or #10. It's a FOOTBALL decision (as CC said numerous times) not most popular or because he's the hometown kid.
Some people will get it, some people won't. It was the right decision to make, so there really is no need to get bent out of shape when some one says contrary.

We'll see..... that's what I'll say.

But I do have to ask my self...... would we have gone to the play-offs by now, had we drafted Vince Young instead.

I don't believe so..... 'nuff said.
Old 08-10-2008   #15
Brando
Site Contributor

They advertised that they are home of Houston Texans football, advertised Friday they would in fact air the game and what do ya know, they showed us up, they didn't air the game.

Thanks to Steel Blue Texans for posting the link to the stream.

Old 08-10-2008   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Funny story......

I was at the game last night, going up to my seat(section 608... the nose bleeds). As I got to my section, the beer guy was at the bottom of the stairs, and I asked him for a beer.

He handed me a Budweiser, and told me it would be $7.25. I said,"$7.25 WTF.... you're killing me!!"

He laughed it off, and said, "Just be glad we didn't draft Vince Young. If we had, you'd be paying $8.25 for this same beer."

I just said, "hrmph" and continued on to my seat.
Old 08-10-2008   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
As a side note, Tenessee parting ways with Norm Chow shows how much Fischer(and the Titans) believe in Vince Young.
I think it shows that Young was a bad fit for Chow's offense. I don't think Chow was ever able to put in his version of the WCO with Young.

Offensive coordinators are easy to kick to the curb. QBs who are high picks with mega signing bonuses, not so. Texan fans should know that as well as anyone.
Old 08-11-2008   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
They are having a discussion about it here on the radio in CC. A lot of people especially the host are still saying we messed up by drafting Mario instead of VY. They say the same stuff, he led them to the playoffs, he sales tickets, you know. Anyway if y'all want to call in the # is 361-884-1230. Call in and show your Texans support.
Write that radio station and tell them that they really ought to investigate subjects with which they want to discuss. Otherwise, you and other listeners will go elsewhere... Streaming radio. It's a beautiful thing.

On the other hand, it's ALWAYS nice to know who the ignorant people out there are.
Old 08-11-2008   #19
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Rep Power: 935 ATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respected

you would think Mario's last season would shut people up about this.
ATRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRAIN View Post
you would think Mario's last season would shut people up about this.
Alas, love is blind.... *sigh*

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read