Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-07-2008   #1
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hypothetical Trade for Steve Smith

I've got to start off with this so those that just come in a say this trade won't happen... y'all are wasting you're time. This is completely hypothetical... for fun... for games... so let's relax.

Carrying on, I've seen/heard quite a bit of people talking smack about Smith now and how the Panthers might trade him, this and that. Whether it happens or not, I'm wondering what would our interest really be in him?

At first, I completely disregarded the notion and thought it'd be dumb and it'd never happen. The more I thought about it... the more interested I was. Now I don't know what Carolina would want but I would assume quite a bit as he is their biggest star. They would want at least a 1st rounder I would think... but looking at some recent trades from teams with chemistry issues, those didn't command quite as much as hoped. Jason Taylor, Deangelo Hall, etc.

So really what would be fair compensation... and what would YOU be willing to give up? I'm so thankful we finally have all our draft picks and think we can still find instant starters in rounds 1-3 so I'd hate to give up 2 picks for 1 player. With that said, I'd do it in a heart beat for a 2nd rounder. 1st rounder... probably not.

Just trying to get a feel for what would be too much, just for curiosity sake. a 2nd this year and 3rd next year..too much?

Think about, I think he's the perfect compliment to AJ.
Andre Johnson #1 WR- BIG, TALL, FAST
Steve Smith #2 Small, powerful, explosive, FAST
Kevin Walter- Slot WR- BIG, TALL, would instantly be one of the top slot wr's in the league and our whole WR corpse would be top 3.

How would secondaries account for both AJ and SS? double team 1 and leave one covered by a CB with safety help? Daniels and Walter would be open all day, not to mention our rushing offense would flourish! Think about having AJ, Steve Smith, Andre Davis, Steve Slaton all on the field... the possibilities are endless.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #2
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Trade for Steve Smith

Not interested. He is a bad man.
Old 08-07-2008   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

He's definitely a badd arse..... hot headed.

We could use a little more 'tude on this team, especially on offense.

I wouldn't mind having another playmaker on the offense, right now, we only have one.

If Matt Schaub can be the QB Kubiak thinks he can be, I wouldn't mind losing another pick or two.

I'd like to be patient enough to watch this team turnaround. But I'm beginning to wonder how long AJ can hold up, he needs help.
Old 08-07-2008   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Petey Faggins for Steve Smith. Good trade.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #5
Tex Trenches
Veteran

I don't want that locker room headcase on our football team. I think Steve Smith is an arrogant ***.
Old 08-07-2008   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Steve Smith = Vernon Maxwell. Great talent, but a chronic hothead/headcase.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #7
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind Steve Smith. He really is a lot like Vernon Maxwell. Winning cures everything, and if Matt can stay upright, and we have AJ at the 1 and SS at the 2, then watch out...
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2008   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Trenches View Post
I don't want that locker room headcase on our football team. I think Steve Smith is an arrogant ***.
Yep.
Old 08-08-2008   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87061 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I've got to start off with this so those that just come in a say this trade won't happen... y'all are wasting you're time. This is completely hypothetical... for fun... for games... so let's relax.

Carrying on, I've seen/heard quite a bit of people talking smack about Smith now and how the Panthers might trade him, this and that. Whether it happens or not, I'm wondering what would our interest really be in him?

At first, I completely disregarded the notion and thought it'd be dumb and it'd never happen. The more I thought about it... the more interested I was. Now I don't know what Carolina would want but I would assume quite a bit as he is their biggest star. They would want at least a 1st rounder I would think... but looking at some recent trades from teams with chemistry issues, those didn't command quite as much as hoped. Jason Taylor, Deangelo Hall, etc.

So really what would be fair compensation... and what would YOU be willing to give up? I'm so thankful we finally have all our draft picks and think we can still find instant starters in rounds 1-3 so I'd hate to give up 2 picks for 1 player. With that said, I'd do it in a heart beat for a 2nd rounder. 1st rounder... probably not.

Just trying to get a feel for what would be too much, just for curiosity sake. a 2nd this year and 3rd next year..too much?

Think about, I think he's the perfect compliment to AJ.
Andre Johnson #1 WR- BIG, TALL, FAST
Steve Smith #2 Small, powerful, explosive, FAST
Kevin Walter- Slot WR- BIG, TALL, would instantly be one of the top slot wr's in the league and our whole WR corpse would be top 3.

How would secondaries account for both AJ and SS? double team 1 and leave one covered by a CB with safety help? Daniels and Walter would be open all day, not to mention our rushing offense would flourish! Think about having AJ, Steve Smith, Andre Davis, Steve Slaton all on the field... the possibilities are endless.

Steve Smith has only had problems with anger and rage. He hasn't had problem with his coaches or anything like that.

I would actually be all for it, because it would instantly give the Texans the best WR core in the entire league. Plus, by trading a pick or so, at least you're doing it for a guy that is PROVEN without a doubt, as oppose to a guy who is an unknown draft pick with a bunch of hype.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #10
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Plus, Steve Smith is relatively young, too. You aren't getting some ancient veteran.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87061 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see how you could stop AJ and Steve Smith on both sides. They both can stretch the field, go up the middle, move the chains, and make freakish plays.

I'm sure everyone remembers that play Smith made against the Texans last year. That was one of the best football plays I have ever seen period.
Old 08-08-2008   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

If you can get Steve Smith and you can afford Steve Smith, then you go get him. Smith and AJ would be unstoppable.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

Steve Smith has only had problems with anger and rage. He hasn't had problem with his coaches or anything like that.

I would actually be all for it, because it would instantly give the Texans the best WR core in the entire league. Plus, by trading a pick or so, at least you're doing it for a guy that is PROVEN without a doubt, as oppose to a guy who is an unknown draft pick with a bunch of hype.
That's kind of my take on it and what change my mind from the initial, "no don't get rid of draft picks... plus or wr's are good enough" mindset.

I don't know what it would take to get him, or what I would be willing to trade though- that's kind of my biggest question here. What would be a fair trade for both sides?

Say it's similar to the Schaub trade. A 2nd rd this year and a 2nd next year. If we keep those 2nd's I think we have 2 starters. BUT... I don't think we would find a player of Smith's calibre that would be able to start right away, draw that kind of attention and still be able to play here for years.

Shoot think of Michael Crabtree, probably the 1st WR taken next draft (as a junior). He will probably be a top ten selection or at least top half of the 1st round? So then compare him vs. Steve Smith... Smith is proven and insanely talented. Can Crabtree be better than Smith? yea maybe but only marginally better, in my opinion. So right there a team may be more willing to trade a 1st rounder for Smith... But I think we still have too many needs to trade a 1st on a WR... if we get those positions filled correctly then I'd consider a 1st rd pick.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
That's kind of my take on it and what change my mind from the initial, "no don't get rid of draft picks... plus or wr's are good enough" mindset.

I don't know what it would take to get him, or what I would be willing to trade though- that's kind of my biggest question here. What would be a fair trade for both sides?

Say it's similar to the Schaub trade. A 2nd rd this year and a 2nd next year. If we keep those 2nd's I think we have 2 starters. BUT... I don't think we would find a player of Smith's calibre that would be able to start right away, draw that kind of attention and still be able to play here for years.

Shoot think of Michael Crabtree, probably the 1st WR taken next draft (as a junior). He will probably be a top ten selection or at least top half of the 1st round? So then compare him vs. Steve Smith... Smith is proven and insanely talented. Can Crabtree be better than Smith? yea maybe but only marginally better, in my opinion. So right there a team may be more willing to trade a 1st rounder for Smith... But I think we still have too many needs to trade a 1st on a WR... if we get those positions filled correctly then I'd consider a 1st rd pick.
You bring up an interesting point on Crabtree Ole Miss Texan. He reminds me of Smith. And yes, he'll for surely go in the top ten of the draft when he comes out. However, would you rather have him or a proven commodity at WR like Smith. I'd take Smith because I know exactly what I'm getting.

I don't think that the Texans would ever do something like this. Right now, WR at least is not one of our main concerns. We definitely could use an upgrade, but we need upgrades at other positions even more.

I don't even think it would take 2 second rounders though. Maybe a 2nd, and a 6th round pick. Maybe a 2nd and a player as well. I don't think that Carolina will be able to get that much value in return for Smith, because of his issues with rage and attacking other players so he carries a little baggage. I don't think that Carolina will get rid of him either. Right now, he is theit entire offense along with a rookie Jonathan Stewart. If they move Smith right now, their offense will be one of the worst in the NFL.
Old 08-08-2008   #15
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

he wouldnt want to come to us anyway.. we're 'not that good'
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #16
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What if his anger causes him to punch out Fred Bennett, break his nose and Bennett's out for 2-3 wks?? Or DeMeco, a team leader, steps in to break up a Steve Smith fight and gets hurt over some B/S...?
No thanks.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #17
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't think that the Texans would ever do something like this. Right now, WR at least is not one of our main concerns. We definitely could use an upgrade, but we need upgrades at other positions even more.
Totally agree.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #18
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Great receiver.

And he did apologize. People do things in the heat of the moment that they regret. All he can is apologize and take his punishment.

If he WERE available..well you can never have enough great players.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #19
Sal Rosenberg
All Pro

Rep Power: 111 Sal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respected

He is not a very good leader.
Sal Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Rosenberg View Post
He is not a very good leader.
And not exactly a great follower either.

But he's a helluva receiver.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read