Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2008   #21
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Can Dunta play Stong Safety for us?

Move somone else not DRob.
Old 08-03-2008   #22
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

How about we give D-Rob a chance to heal and win his job back...?
He's not Charles Spencer or Domanick Davis; he'll be back.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #23
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
How about we give D-Rob a chance to heal and win his job back...?
He's not Charles Spencer or Domanick Davis; he'll be back.
That's not my point. The question was how can we get our best players on the field at the same time. I indicated that I was assuming Molden would develop into a starting CB by mid-season. If that happens, do you demote him to the NB position where he'll most likely only get in on obvious passing situations? I'm also assuming that Dunta is going to be a step slower. It wasn't an endorsement to take his job away, but a question as to whether or not he could bulk up to play the SS position. It's my opinion that Bennett, Dunta, & Demps are our best 3 secondary players with Molden looking good enough so far, to become a starter. It was just a hypothetical question.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #24
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

DRob should not be moved without having a chance to win back his starting job.
Old 08-03-2008   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
That's not my point. The question was how can we get our best players on the field at the same time. I indicated that I was assuming Molden would develop into a starting CB by mid-season. If that happens, do you demote him to the NB position where he'll most likely only get in on obvious passing situations? I'm also assuming that Dunta is going to be a step slower. It wasn't an endorsement to take his job away, but a question as to whether or not he could bulk up to play the SS position. It's my opinion that Bennett, Dunta, & Demps are our best 3 secondary players with Molden looking good enough so far, to become a starter. It was just a hypothetical question.
It all depends on how good or bad Dunta is when he comes back and how good or bad the other corners are when he gets back. Whoever the two best corners are should be on the field.

But if you want to be successful in this league, you need two great corners and at least one very, very good corner. If Antwaun steps up and Dunta comes back as good as he was, excellent. When we face pass happy teams like the Colts and the Patriots, we're going to be in good shape.

If we keep these three guys together, great. We can rotate guys, we can use them situationally.

The idea is to put the best 4 DB's on the field that we can. That means the two best corners and the two best safeties. Dunta MAY could be a free safety... but our system isn't really a Strong side/Weak side defense. It's more of a cover-2 type of approach with a right/left corner and a right/left safety. So we don't really have the smaller, speedy free safety; we have two guys who are kinda tweeners between strong and free. Two guys who can come up and play the run but can also play deep zones... at least, that's the idea.

I don't know if Dunta could grow into that sort of role. If he's not one of our two best corners, then he probably shouldn't be on the field.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #26
gary
Hall of Fame

Ageed.
Old 08-04-2008   #27
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I agree, but he would have to take a paycut on his next contract. I still can't believe the Reeves signing, so there is no room for another questionable contract in the secondary. We can't afford two guys competing for the NB spot with guaranteed, long term contracts.
Actually Reeves contract is pretty cut friendly, he has roster bonuses, those have driven up the reports of the guaranteed money. Really we gave him a one year deal, we can walk away from, BTW Keith from In The Bulls Eye pointed this out to me, and he really has a good understanding of the contracts.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2008   #28
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I see alot of people assuming Dunta will not come back a starting CB and I urge you guys to open your minds a little bit. Dunta is a very hard worker, yet he does not overwork himself. He seems to be doing well in his recovery. Yes, he will not be back to the old Dunta this season, but after a year, I think we might be getting our old Dunta back. Even if he doesn't come back 100%, which is very possible, I still believe he has a good shot at being able to play CB in this league as a starter.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #29
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Even if he doesn't come back 100%, which is very possible, I still believe he has a good shot at being able to play CB in this league as a starter.
"In this league", may be the operative phrase here, because the system the Texans have not only places a premium but places a requirement on pure foot speed for its CBs in its man-coverage. So Dunta may be a fit in a system with more zone type coverages for its corners, while not here.
And this in no way a knock on D-Robs work ethic or personal determination or persevearance. It's just a matter of whether or not his body is able to mend such that his pre-injury athletic prowess is restored.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #30
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
And this in no way a knock on D-Robs work ethic or personal determination or persevearance. It's just a matter of whether or not his body is able to mend such that his pre-injury athletic prowess is restored.
True, my point was that if it is physically possible, D-Rob is doing everything he can to make it happen.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #31
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I see alot of people assuming Dunta will not come back a starting CB and I urge you guys to open your minds a little bit. Dunta is a very hard worker, yet he does not overwork himself. He seems to be doing well in his recovery. Yes, he will not be back to the old Dunta this season, but after a year, I think we might be getting our old Dunta back. Even if he doesn't come back 100%, which is very possible, I still believe he has a good shot at being able to play CB in this league as a starter.
First of all, I don't assume Daunta would be able to hold his starter job for much longer based on talent. However, I'll play along with that notion for now. We both agree that Robinson won't be the same calibur player this season as he was before his injury. Cool. However, Daunta's contract expires after this season and we do not have an extension in place yet to my knowledge. You believe he will come back and be a top notch CB in the following season. I believe he was never a top notch CB and will be nothing more than a Nickle when he comes back. We vary there, but the main issue with our disagreeing opinions is the issue of his next contract. He is unlikely to play many games this year, and he is VERY unlikely to play as many series as he did prior to the injury. In essense, I mean: the coaching staff will ease Robinson back slowly only AFTER he is cleared to play in games at all. Meaning, Daunta Robinson will not be a starting CB for your Houston Texans this season. Does Rick Smith offer him a contract that an elite (which he clearly isn't) CB would get on the open market? Does Rick Smith offer him a servicable veteran STARTING CB contract like we gave Reeves? Does Rick Smith offer him a contract that a Nickle-Back would expect to recieve? Does Rick Smith even offer him a contract?
Old 08-04-2008   #32
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Does Rick Smith even offer him a contract?
I believe the Texans will offer Dunta a contract. It won't likely be the $60 million with $20 million guaranteed type deal Robinson could have gotten prior to the injury. Dunta might be best served signing a 1 year contract, then returning to the FA market next season.

The Texans could place a transition tag on Robinson before the '09 FA period. That would allow the Texans to match any offer he receives, but would not return any compensation from the team that signed Robinson. Last year's transition tag number for DBs was over $7.6 million. A large cap hit, but not the investment required of a long term contract.

Regarding the thread topic, Dunta can't play safety for the Texans.
Old 08-04-2008   #33
Polo

If Dunta comes back and is playing close to or on the same level as he was pre-injury he's better than Molden or Bennett...

Not saying that they can't eventually be better, but they will have some catching up to do...

Dunta got caught on his fair share of times, but QB's weren't throwing it his way much because of who he was and the ability he had...Dunta was playing at a really high level last year, so assuming that he won't come back and be better than Molden or Bennett is a little naive IMO. I think folks are selling Dunta waaaay short in this thread...

That said...I'd rather move Molden to FS if Dunta proves he can come back and play corner at a high level...Molden is physical and has the big body for the position...I think he could be a really good FS and provide a lot of range and play making ability...He's still young and raw enough to where that could be an effective move...

I don't like Dunta as a safety, Free or Strong...

Even if Molden is playing at a high level..I'd rather him move to Free if Dunta can come back and be a starter...That move would make our secondary stronger than having little Dunta at FS...JMO...
Old 08-04-2008   #34
Matt
Blogfather

Rep Power: 11 Matt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVPMatt was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Is a pre-injured Dunta better than Faggins? Of course.

Is a post-injured Dunta better than Faggins? You might like to think so, but . . .
Hold up. Even a dead Dunta is better than Petey.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #35
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
If Molden develops like we hope by mid-season & Bennett continues where he left off last year, Dunta might have a hard time cracking the starting lineup, which brings me to my point.

Bob Sanders is listed at 5'8" 206lbs & hits like a ton of bricks. We all know Dunta hits the same way & is more of a #2 CB than a #1. Does anyone think that if he put on another 20lbs of muscle (5'10" 200lbs), he could play SS for us? Again, assuming Molden & Bennett develop into stud CB's, putting Dunta at SS would allow us to put our 4 best secondary players on the field at the same time.

LCB: Bennett/Fletcher
RCB: Molden/Reeves/Williams
FS: Demps/Ferguson/Harrison/Barber
SS: Dunta/CC Brown/Earl

That'd be a tough starting lineup & possibly one of the best secondaries in the NFL with some very good depth at the safety positions. We could still use a little more quality depth at CB, but it sure looks like we'll be cutting some good players this year.

What do you think? Given that scenario, could Dunta play SS for us?
If Dunta can't overtake Molden or Bennett, then I would be entertaining trade offers for him. His value would be at its highest for us. Contract year is why. Dunta simply isn't going to become a backup. I don't know. If he can take a starting job elsewhere in the NFL, then that's what I'd think he would want. He's a football player and he wants to play ball. I just don't see him signing a contract to remain with the Texans and as a backup.
Old 08-04-2008   #36
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
If Dunta comes back and is playing close to or on the same level as he was pre-injury he's better than Molden or Bennett...

Not saying that they can't eventually be better, but they will have some catching up to do...

Dunta got caught on his fair share of times, but QB's weren't throwing it his way much because of who he was and the ability he had...Dunta was playing at a really high level last year, so assuming that he won't come back and be better than Molden or Bennett is a little naive IMO. I think folks are selling Dunta waaaay short in this thread...

That said...I'd rather move Molden to FS if Dunta proves he can come back and play corner at a high level...Molden is physical and has the big body for the position...I think he could be a really good FS and provide a lot of range and play making ability...He's still young and raw enough to where that could be an effective move...

Even if Molden is playing at a high level..I'd rather him move to Free if Dunta can come back and be a starter...That move would make our secondary stronger than having little Dunta at FS...JMO...
We have a winner.
Old 08-04-2008   #37
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I think people are trying to make long term decisions here on a short term situation. I think Kubiak will put the best players on the field and if Dunta isnt 100% he will play nickel until he is. This will get him through the season and they will iron out his contract situation based on results of the season by all CB's involved. we allready have a starting FS so I dont see them realligning the whole secondary to suit Dunta. There is also a chance Dunta sees backup time this season until his exact condition/performance can be evaluated. my 2 cents.
Old 08-04-2008   #38
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

Molden has more pure speed than Dunta which reinforces your point about his potential to have good-to-very good range.

like Gary said, "we have a winner"
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008   #39
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
we allready have a starting FS so I dont see them realligning the whole secondary to suit Dunta.
Move Demps to strong....

WALA!
Old 08-05-2008   #40
gary
Hall of Fame

Bingo.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read