Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2008   #1
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Can Dunta play Stong Safety for us?

If Molden develops like we hope by mid-season & Bennett continues where he left off last year, Dunta might have a hard time cracking the starting lineup, which brings me to my point.

Bob Sanders is listed at 5'8" 206lbs & hits like a ton of bricks. We all know Dunta hits the same way & is more of a #2 CB than a #1. Does anyone think that if he put on another 20lbs of muscle (5'10" 200lbs), he could play SS for us? Again, assuming Molden & Bennett develop into stud CB's, putting Dunta at SS would allow us to put our 4 best secondary players on the field at the same time.

LCB: Bennett/Fletcher
RCB: Molden/Reeves/Williams
FS: Demps/Ferguson/Harrison/Barber
SS: Dunta/CC Brown/Earl

That'd be a tough starting lineup & possibly one of the best secondaries in the NFL with some very good depth at the safety positions. We could still use a little more quality depth at CB, but it sure looks like we'll be cutting some good players this year.

What do you think? Given that scenario, could Dunta play SS for us?

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Can Dunta play Stong Safety for us?

This Dunta to free safety idea is a little far fetched IMO. Dunta to strong safety is just ridiculous.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I do when I scout college football players is try to project their frame and how much weight they will be able to add. Danuta's frame will not hold an additional 20lbs of anything.
Old 08-03-2008   #4
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

People are already fussing about the idea of moving a 180lbs Dunta Robinson to FS, so to go even further and have the thought of him being at SS? Well that's just.....

Switching Dunta to FS and putting Demps at SS would be better, imo.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

The best thing that could happen would be if both our young CB's develop as they show they could, and Daunta takes over the Nickle role and we can rid ourselves of Reeves.
Old 08-03-2008   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

or Faggins.

Definitely Faggins.
Old 08-03-2008   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
The best thing that could happen would be if both our young CB's develop as they show they could, and Daunta takes over the Nickle role and we can rid ourselves of Faggins.
That's kind of how I see it. Hopefully we can get to the point where Dunta can switch in and out of a starting CB spot and the nickel spot. His rookie year he was very effective playing in the nickel. We may actually be able to blitz him again as we used to do in his rookie year. He was a very effective blitzer.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2008   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

I agree, but he would have to take a paycut on his next contract. I still can't believe the Reeves signing, so there is no room for another questionable contract in the secondary. We can't afford two guys competing for the NB spot with guaranteed, long term contracts.
Old 08-03-2008   #9
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I see it like this... yes, Bob Sanders is an undersized, but excellent safety who despite his size, hits like a truck.

He's also constantly injured.

Dunta would have to be constantly bringing the pain as a strong safety. Lots of hard hitting, constantly piling up on his body at a higher frequency than it would as a cornerback. It's not like Dunta's going to back off his aggressive style - and I wouldn't want him to - but I think that would lead to him to more injuries because his frame isn't "naturally" big enough for safety.

If Dunta wasn't such an amazing hitter for his size, I'd have less reservations about it. You don't have to necessarily be a hard-hitter to play SS, but you do need to be great in run support, and a great tackler.

So, while I don't dismiss the move out of hand like a lot of others do, I'm not sure it would be a good move because of what a great aggressive corner Dunta is. If he wasn't such a wrecking ball, I think it might work better.

www.HoustonDiehards.com

Last edited by DiehardChris; 08-03-2008 at 11:25 AM.
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87623 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

If Dunta doesn't ever regain the speed and quickness that had before he was injured, (which is pretty much a given, in my opinion) then he won't be good enough to play CB, FS, SS, or NB. There's only so many roster spots, and the competition for those spots is too fierce.

Is a pre-injured Dunta better than Faggins? Of course.

Is a post-injured Dunta better than Faggins? You might like to think so, but . . .
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #11
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Another thing that we might consider is that Dunta refuses to return punts or kickoffs (not that he's been asked to). I know this because he was asked by someone in the media (who probably wasn't serious). His response was that no, they haven't asked me, and, no, I'm not doing that anymore.

I think Dunta knows his physical limitations. He will hit anybody, but don't ask him to do it constantly, because he isn't stupid. He knows that will break him down over time. I hope he comes back 100%. If not, and if he is no longer even one of the two best CBs on the team, he will just have to play nickel.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #12
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I see it like this... yes, Bob Sanders is an undersized, but excellent safety who despite his size, hits like a truck.

He's also constantly injured.

Dunta would have to be constantly bringing the pain as a strong safety. Lots of hard hitting, constantly piling up on his body at a higher frequency than it would as a cornerback. It's not like Dunta's going to back off his aggressive style - and I wouldn't want him to - but I think that would lead to him to more injuries because his frame isn't "naturally" big enough for safety.

If Dunta wasn't such an amazing hitter for his size, I'd have less reservations about it. You don't have to necessarily be a hard-hitter to play SS, but you do need to be great in run support, and a great tackler.

So, while I don't dismiss the move out of hand like a lot of others do, I'm not sure it would be a good move because of what a great aggressive corner Dunta is. If he wasn't such a wrecking ball, I think it might work better.

I agree & that's why I was thinking the extra muscle mass could help him. But, as YTF suggests, if he can't put that much weight on his frame, then it just won't work. I'm just afraid he's going to have lost enough of his quickness to not be as effective as he once was. And, once the opposing teams see that, it'll be like feeding time in a blood filled tank of piranha.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #13
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

If any of our current CB's get moved to a safety position, it will be Bennett and/or Molden. They have the size to make the switch.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #14
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
If any of our current CB's get moved to a safety position, it will be Bennett and/or Molden. They have the size to make the switch.
Ding ding ding we have a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222730 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I agree & that's why I was thinking the extra muscle mass could help him. But, as YTF suggests, if he can't put that much weight on his frame, then it just won't work. I'm just afraid he's going to have lost enough of his quickness to not be as effective as he once was. And, once the opposing teams see that, it'll be like feeding time in a blood filled tank of piranha.
I also agree with Diehard.......but that same muscle mass/WEIGHT that you suggested on the same frame puts even more stress on the areas that have already experienced a major potentially career threatening trauma.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #16
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 33364 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not very knowledgeable about some of the mechanics and strategies of football, so I've got a request...

Would someone help me understand the differences between the cornerbacks and the various safety positions?

How do they differ, and most importantly the idea and strategies behind each one's role.

Rep for all who help.
Old 08-03-2008   #17
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

In simple terms SS's are tacklers used predominantly in run support to tackle the ball carrier that makes it into the 2nd level or area covered by the linebackers. FS's are usually more coverage support. They cover and disrupt recievers once they get into the deep secondary portion of the field (10-20 yards from the line of scrimmage) they also are not so much run support but tackle support. While the CB's are engaged on the WR's the FS is free to move in for the dissrupting hit at the point of reception. The CB's basicly cover WR's , either as they enter their zone or in a man to man role.

Not to confuse things, but the Texans differ from this norm in that they typically assign their secondary to sides of the field rather than a particular reciever. so you have a LCB, RCB, LS and RS. left corner right corner, etc. this makes their footwork easier as they are usually defending a certain angle of attack at all times. Hope that helps.
Old 08-03-2008   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 287880 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
I'm not very knowledgeable about some of the mechanics and strategies of football, so I've got a request...

Would someone help me understand the differences between the cornerbacks and the various safety positions?

How do they differ, and most importantly the idea and strategies behind each one's role.

Rep for all who help.
A lot depends on the scheme but generally you've got two cornerbacks. They usually line up on either side of the alignment but that can change depending on the defense (and the offensive alignment.) In a "normal" offense, the cornerback's main job is to run with the wide receivers and keep them from catching the balls. In a zone defense, that job changes to just being able to react to the ball and either get to it before the receiver in his zone or to make the tackle.

Safeties are the last line of defense. They're usually the guys that line up deepest in the defense.

A FREE safety is like a cornerback except usually a little slower. A free safety's job responsibilities are frequently to just go back and make sure no one gets behind him as well as to read the QB's eyes and try to make a play on any pass he makes. Sometimes, they'll have to cover a slot receiver. When cornerbacks start to lose a step as they get older, they frequently move to free safety. They normally have to have good ball skills and be willing to hit. In zones, they're usually in the deep zone.

A STRONG safety is a smaller, faster linebacker or bigger and slower than a FREE safety. His job is usually to come up in run support as well as to be the last line of defense if someone breaks through. In pass defense, he'll frequently be called on to cover the tight end or to play a deep zone. Strong safeties are frequently the enforcers in the middle of the field whose job is to hit any receiver in the middle of the field and take their head off.

In some defenses, like ours, some of these definitions get blurry.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222730 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
In simple terms SS's are tacklers used predominantly in run support to tackle the ball carrier that makes it into the 2nd level or area covered by the linebackers. FS's are usually more coverage support. They cover and disrupt recievers once they get into the deep secondary portion of the field (10-20 yards from the line of scrimmage) they also are not so much run support but tackle support. While the CB's are engaged on the WR's the FS is free to move in for the dissrupting hit at the point of reception. The CB's basicly cover WR's , either as they enter their zone or in a man to man role.

Not to confuse things, but the Texans differ from this norm in that they typically assign their secondary to sides of the field rather than a particular reciever. so you have a LCB, RCB, LS and RS. left corner right corner, etc. this makes their footwork easier as they are usually defending a certain angle of attack at all times. Hope that helps.
Pretty much a good synopsis, TK and Pencil Neck.

Watchman, for some useful fill in to the above position info:

CORNERBACK

SAFETY
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #20
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Good article on the main site on this subject (secondary):

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4454

Also, check out the video of Hoke explaining a few things....
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read