Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-05-2008   #81
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
You're preaching to the chior.

While I don't know the S&C or medical fields well, I do know that the Texans have been near the top of the league in only one thig since their inception (INJURIES).

Please do away with the last remenant of the CC regime.

I started a tread about this subject in the off season & was chastised for it.

IMO we will never win big with Dan Riley as our S&C .

FIRE DAN RILEY
I'm not too familiar with him but apparently he's a really respected guy in the profession. I personally don't think all the injuries are a reflection of him doing anything wrong but the personel we have on the field and those backing them up.

Better teams generally have less injuries than bad teams, and for good reason. In the past we havn't had enough good players. Our starters had to play a lot more because the back ups behind them were insufficient. It's important to have quality backups to give the starters rest here and there, we're finally able to do that without completely giving the other team an easy score. The more a player plays, the more he plays tired, the sloppier his play is going to be, translating in him or a teammate being more likely to get injured. I guess conditioning could have some to do with that, but only to an extent. I don't see it as Riley's fault but maybe the way we were practicing and preparing (coaches). I think we're getting better at that, Kubiak is doing a great job of changing the 'atmosphere' (for lack of better words) on the field and in the locker room. Players here are finally ready to WIN and so they are working harder.

Although, I will say so many of our injuries seem to be the freak kind. Dayne rolling on Spencer's leg from behind, AJ getting hit in the knee by a helmet, Jacoby being thrown down by the punter, Dunta's leg getting rolled over at a weird angle, etc.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008   #82
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'm not too familiar with him but apparently he's a really respected guy in the profession. I personally don't think all the injuries are a reflection of him doing anything wrong but the personel we have on the field and those backing them up.

Better teams generally have less injuries than bad teams, and for good reason. In the past we havn't had enough good players. Our starters had to play a lot more because the back ups behind them were insufficient. It's important to have quality backups to give the starters rest here and there, we're finally able to do that without completely giving the other team an easy score. The more a player plays, the more he plays tired, the sloppier his play is going to be, translating in him or a teammate being more likely to get injured. I guess conditioning could have some to do with that, but only to an extent. I don't see it as Riley's fault but maybe the way we were practicing and preparing (coaches). I think we're getting better at that, Kubiak is doing a great job of changing the 'atmosphere' (for lack of better words) on the field and in the locker room. Players here are finally ready to WIN and so they are working harder.

Although, I will say so many of our injuries seem to be the freak kind. Dayne rolling on Spencer's leg from behind, AJ getting hit in the knee by a helmet, Jacoby being thrown down by the punter, Dunta's leg getting rolled over at a weird angle, etc.
I see your point but we also wre near the top of the league in injuries during the CC years.

I just dont think there is a coincedence between Dan Riley (2 different regimes) & all of the injuries we seem to get compared to other teams in the league.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008   #83
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The only question I have for Riley is why now? [in terms of his change in philosophy to warm up instead of stretching before practice this year - given his many years in the profession]
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008   #84
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
The only question I have for Riley is why now? [in terms of his change in philosophy to warm up instead of stretching before practice this year - given his many years in the profession]
I can't answer for him but I imagine there could be a lot of answers to that question. Maybe he wanted to change things up since what they were doing before obviously wasn't working. Maybe there has been a significant change in exercise science paradigm. I know the Braves have been using a similar warm up philosophy for a few years now. So, the Texans aren't alone in this practice.

But, I would like to know the answer to that as well.

Last edited by nero THE zero; 08-05-2008 at 12:39 PM.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008   #85
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I see your point but we also wre near the top of the league in injuries during the CC years.

I just dont think there is a coincedence between Dan Riley (2 different regimes) & all of the injuries we seem to get compared to other teams in the league.
I guess my thinking goes right along with that. Even when Kubiak took over 2 years ago and including last year... we still didn't have the personnel we really wanted on the field. Kubiak had to release some players from the CC era (CC castoffs) and sign "stop-gap" type of players (like Moulds and Dayne) for the short term because you can't find the right players at every position in one offseason. I think we're still trying to get the right players on our team and are really close to it. That's why I think the injuries have carried over for the couple years Kubes has been on board.

I really think that once we have solid starters and solid back ups that can put in some playing time, the quantity of our injures will siginificantly decrease. This, of course, is all speculation by me though.

This is finally a year where I can personally say I'm much more comfortable with our depth... next year should be even better. We're finally starting to cut good football players from our team because they aren't good enough. That's the first sign your team is getting better and close to where you want it to be.
Old 08-05-2008   #86
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I guess my thinking goes right along with that. Even when Kubiak took over 2 years ago and including last year... we still didn't have the personnel we really wanted on the field. Kubiak had to release some players from the CC era (CC castoffs) and sign "stop-gap" type of players (like Moulds and Dayne) for the short term because you can't find the right players at every position in one offseason. I think we're still trying to get the right players on our team and are really close to it. That's why I think the injuries have carried over for the couple years Kubes has been on board.
I think you have a good point. McKinney and Ahman Green fall into that category - you get older, you're bound to have more injuries. I wasn't too confident in Riley or the medical staff for the sheer number of them, but more so the drawn out sagas of DD, Green, and Mathis. But in reviewing the IR list from last year, there aren't a whole lot there that you can blame on conditioning.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008   #87
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
I think you have a good point. McKinney and Ahman Green fall into that category - you get older, you're bound to have more injuries. I wasn't too confident in Riley or the medical staff for the sheer number of them, but more so the drawn out sagas of DD, Green, and Mathis. But in reviewing the IR list from last year, there aren't a whole lot there that you can blame on conditioning.
Did you know that Mathis is still listed on our depth chart as a backup PR on nfl.com !? http://www.nfl.com/teams/houstontexa...chart?team=HOU

I saw that the other day and got to remembering about Mathis... it's a shame he just couldn't stay healthy. Then I just watched a youtube video of Andre Davis' 2 returns against JAX last season and I didn't miss Mathis too much.
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2008   #88
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure I'm not the only one who grimaces at this thread title every time they see it. Could we please change it to

"AJ injured - but it's the same injury as last time, not a new one, and they think it's pretty minor as long as they take precautions with him, so we're pretty much talking about injuries in general now, along with Dan Riley specifically!"
Old 08-05-2008   #89
Polo

Losing causes a lot of injuries too.
Old 08-05-2008   #90
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

You automatically become the "wrong personel" once you get injured. I bet we can look back at some very promising players that became injured (not necessarily freak) and then just disappeared. Some of these were depth players that were tagged with the expectation to work themselves up the ladder.........but later tagged to anonymity. When you have a promising depth player (whether draftee or FA acquisition) that gets injured
he is classified as the "wrong personel" before he has the opportunity to realize the "right personel" label. If conditioning has been a significant factor, it could very well explain why we seem to have gotten our share of the "wrong personel"................and will be a reason for why we will forever looking to be stocking up on "good depth." Just food for thought.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008   #91
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
You automatically become the "wrong personel" once you get injured. I bet we can look back at some very promising players that became injured (not necessarily freak) and then just disappeared.
Example--Ramon Walker. Blocked a punt and a kick plus made something silly like 3 of 5 special teams tackles against NE. Blew his knee out the next week and never touched the radar screen again.
Old 08-06-2008   #92
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

I view "wrong personnel" as not fitting into the system you are either installing or have installed. Kubiak talked repeatedly when he got here and they were changing things up, about getting the 'right' guys in here. Babin might be a good example of being in the "wrong personnel" category as he was more of a 3-4 defensive guy and not a true LB or DE in the 4-3. When you have guys playing out of position, it's not good for your team or themselves. Kubiak had to get guys that play the way he wants them to play in the schemes he wants to run.
Old 08-06-2008   #93
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not blaming Dan Riley for all of our injuries.

I just believe that he either has bad karma or his S&C routine is out dated.
Old 08-07-2008   #94
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ is rehabbing in the pool, getting lots of massages to his groin. This is what we get for an update.

Quote:
‘Dre report: ... He has been in the pool rehabbing his groin while head athletic trainer Kevin Bastin supervises his workouts.

Johnson’s injury isn’t major and doesn’t require surgery. He’s had some soreness, but his groin has been feeling healthier each day.

I am getting massages on it and, like I said, just taking it one day at a time and doing a lot of rehab to make sure that when I come back, I am at full strength.”
Groin massages in the pool... man, training camp sounds rough...

(only kidding, get well soon AJ!)
Old 08-07-2008   #95
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
AJ is rehabbing in the pool, getting lots of massages to his groin. This is what we get for an update.

Add a keg to that and it's just like summer vacation
Old 08-07-2008   #96
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

Quote:
‘Dre report: ... He has been in the pool rehabbing his groin while head athletic trainer Kevin Bastin supervises his workouts.
Johnson’s injury isn’t major and doesn’t require surgery
. He’s had some soreness, but his groin has been feeling healthier each day.

I am getting massages on it and, like I said, just taking it one day at a time and doing a lot of rehab to make sure that when I come back, I am at full strength.”

It's statements just like this that make me nervous.........why even mention this? When there is so much effort to dispell things, you start wondering if there is something not being shared. Too much deja vu.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #97
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's statements just like this that make me nervous.........why even mention this? When there is so much effort to dispell things, you start wondering if there is something not being shared. Too much deja vu.
I completely agree that it seems very strange to even mention that. Why? He didn't pull it. He doesn't need surgery. So what exactly is wrong?
Old 08-08-2008   #98
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
When it comes to the Texans & injuries I'm always worried.

The Texans always understate injuries (case in point AJ's hyper- extended knee last year). DDWs knee.
Old 08-08-2008   #99
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

so AJ will not play Sat. night right?
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #100
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS4MARIO View Post
so AJ will not play Sat. night right?
Right. There's absolutely no reason for him to risk injury in our first preseason game.
Allstar is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read