Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-02-2008   #61
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Your will really love this then, was the 3rd from last play of practice.
Old 08-02-2008   #62
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
What exactly do you mean by "guarding his knee"?

Gtexan02 and The Pencil Neck have characterized well my exact concern. And to answer b0ng's observation, it's amazing how "compensation" can be outwardly disguised.............until the compensating area is stressed to injury.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #63
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 224197 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Let us protect those that serve.

Let us pray for AJ (even if we don't pray normally, like me)

Let us wish for playoffs in our future.

Let's hope that stupid ass Thorn finishes his rebuolding of an old PC before his Jack Daniels runs out.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #64
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
When you have an injury in one part of your body, you instinctively guard that injury by overcompensating with other parts of your body. That causes secondary injuries in other places. It's very common for injuries to "move up the chain". A foot injury causes you to hurt your knee. A knee injury causes you to hurt your hip or groin.

Basically, Cloak is very worried that Andre's knee isn't as healthy as everyone has been saying.

Also, when you train, part of your training is teaching your body to shut down certain protective mechanisms in the body (like the Golgi Tendon). When you get hurt, they "re-engage" and you've got to train them to shut down again but before you've done that, if you try to do things that you used to be able to do, you can hurt yourself. And again, it can move up the chain from the initial injury.
I am not familiar with golgi tendon but I do know that I hurt my ankle in HS then I injured my knee compensating for it.

(We've led the league in injuries 2 yrs in a row. How many years will it take to get DAN RILEY fired?

He is the last holdover from the last regime.

Tell me more about this golgi tendon.

I agree all eyes should be on AJ's groin
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #65
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I agree all eyes should be on AJ's groin
Sounds like some sort of therapy for VY.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #66
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Sounds like some sort of therapy for VY.
Yeah it sure does.

Very funny

The truth works like that.
Old 08-02-2008   #67
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

VY throws like a girl.

Not that theres anything wrong with that.

BUD THE END IS NEAR.
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2008   #68
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Tell me more about this golgi tendon.
Here's my understanding...

The Golgi Tendon is an organ that is in the connection between your muscles and the tendons where they attach to the bone. If the tension on a particular golgi tendon goes over a certain level, it shuts down the muscle to keep you from rupturing the tendon or the muscle; this is called the T-Reflex. When you train heavy, you decrease the sensitivity of the organ and that allows you to increase the weight you lift because the golgi tendon isn't shutting down and causing failure.

Some advanced lifters have a problem because they've desensitized the golgi to the point where it stops shutting down and voila! Ruptured tendons.

Cloak can probably give a more thorough description of how it works. I only know about it from a practical standpoint.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #69
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

The Golgi Tendon is an organ that is in the connection between your muscles and the tendons where they attach to the bone. If the tension on a particular golgi tendon goes over a certain level, it shuts down the muscle to keep you from rupturing the tendon or the muscle; this is called the T-Reflex. When you train heavy, you decrease the sensitivity of the organ and that allows you to increase the weight you lift because the golgi tendon isn't shutting down and causing failure.

Some advanced lifters have a problem because they've desensitized the golgi to the point where it stops shutting down and voila! Ruptured tendons.

Cloak can probably give a more thorough description of how it works. I only know about it from a practical standpoint.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-03-2008   #70
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Again, you've given an excellent simple example. In very simplistic terms, the Golgi tendon is a neurosensory structure located in the muscle/tendon connection. It acts as a sensor feedback mechanism that maintains a fine balance between stretching of the muscle and contraction of the muscle (with its accompanying stresses on the tendon). It allows our bodies to automatically tell us that when our muscles are being stretched to back off of the simultaneous contraction of those same muscle groups. Without this feed back mechanism, a stretching muscle would be met with a contraction of that same muscle. These "contradictory" opposing actions if severe enough would lead to tear of the muscle or the tendon.
Old 08-04-2008   #71
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Any updates on our favorite WR?
Old 08-04-2008   #72
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

From camp quotes at ht.com: - Kubiak speaking - we may have dodged a bullet on AJ but they are nuts if they play him Saturday. I can't imagine what a 120 percent AJ looks like but if I was a DB, I'd be very afraid.

I threw in a couple other quotes on Bell and J. Williams. I have a feeling Bell isn't long for this place if he can't get back on the field this week. In other news, Chris Brown took 6 reps today without complaining once.

Quote:
(on WR Andre Johnson) “Andre (Johnson) is doing well. I think we’re very fortunate with Andre (Johnson), but I think we’re going to take the cautious approach. We’re going to make sure we get him 120 percent back before he comes back out here. We’ll try to keep his condition level up but I think we’re very fortunate that it wasn’t worse.”

(on WR Andre Johnson playing Saturday) “I don’t know. It’s easy for me to tell you no right now. We’ve got to long way to go. We’ll see how he’s doing. He was very upbeat and felt very good so we’ll see.”

(on RB Mike Bell’s hamstring effecting him) “He’s very effected, very effected. I think he’s behind our team physically, conditioning wise. You can’t go out here and all of a sudden go miss 8-10 days as (running) back. We’re going to give him a couple days here and see if we can get him back on the field. He’s tells us this has happened before and he was back within a couple days. We’re going to trust him on that and see if we can get him back out here, hopefully tomorrow.”

(on any serious injuries with DB Jimmy Williams) “They’re going to scope him, I just know that. It’s his knee. I don’t know exactly what it is right now; you’ve got me off guard. So many tough questions. But I know he was going to need a scope and when they do that I’m not quite sure. I’ll go check at lunch.”

Last edited by aj.; 08-04-2008 at 03:58 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #73
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
From camp quotes at ht.com: - Kubiak speaking - we may have dodged a bullet on AJ but they are nuts if they play him Saturday. I can't imagine what a 120 percent AJ looks like but if I was a DB, I'd be very afraid.

I threw in a couple other quotes on Bell and J. Williams. I have a feeling Bell isn't long for this place if he can't get back on the field this week. In other news, Chris Brown took 6 reps today without complaining once.

They better not get AJ in this Saturday.................and BTW, explain to me how Riley and the rest of the staff, after tryout work out, is not able to ascertain a player's state of condition. If they are this out of touch, how do they decide how far they can push a roster player before putting them in danger?.............furthermore, how do they then reasonably assess an injury-recovering player as to when they can advance to the "next level" without undue risk? Looking back at things, could this explain some of our problems?
Old 08-04-2008   #74
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
They better not get AJ in this Saturday.................and BTW, explain to me how Riley and the rest of the staff, after tryout work out, is not able to ascertain a player's state of condition. If they are this out of touch, how do they decide how far they can push a roster player before putting them in danger?.............furthermore, how do they then reasonably assess an injury-recovering player as to when they can advance to the "next level" without undue risk? Looking back at things, could this explain some of our problems?
Indeed it could. I know Riley is very well respected for the work he did on the Redskins Super Bowl teams but imo the track record here hasn't been too impressive. I know the S&C field is always evolving so i'm wondering if he's just too stuck to his ways. I'm tired of hearing that being at or near the top of the league with players on IR every season is "just bad luck".
Old 08-04-2008   #75
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are more or less the "medical staff" of the msg board, but it seems to me that its one thing for a player to pass the tests that determine if there are any lingering injuries he's trying to hide and to pass flexibility and range of motion medical tests and quite another to get out in the July Texas heat and run with guys that have been training since May OTAs.

Even Fred Weary, who's been here, is, wind-wise, behind the guys who were able to participate in OTAs and the team physical training program.

Remember that not being in good shape cost Charles Spencer a chance to compete for a job here.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #76
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
You guys are more or less the "medical staff" of the msg board, but it seems to me that its one thing for a player to pass the tests that determine if there are any lingering injuries he's trying to hide and to pass flexibility and range of motion medical tests and quite another to get out in the July Texas heat and run with guys that have been training since May OTAs.
Even Fred Weary, who's been here, is, wind-wise, behind the guys who were able to participate in OTAs and the team physical training program.

Remember that not being in good shape cost Charles Spencer a chance to compete for a job here.
I don't totally disagree. But part of a total NFL assessment includes evaluation of endurance, and extrapolation to the expected conditions to be placed under.

As far as Spencer, the jury's still out on why he was really released; and if it were based on the "shape he was in", if it was, indeed, a correct call or due to another inaccurate assessment.
Old 08-04-2008   #77
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Regardng Spencer's release, and this is totally my own opinion, I think that he got let go because he wasn't in "Gibbs shape". If we were still running the Sherman power running game, I think there's a decent chance that Spencer would still be around.

Back to my Weary example, the time he's lost due to his injury is still costing him his starting spot.
From Kubiak's presser today
Quote:
(on G Fred Weary) A little disappointed. I thought hed be back a little earlier sometime this week. Coming out of the meeting Saturday, it doesnt look that way. It looks like were a little further off. No concerns about Fred (Weary) as a player or person, and you guys know what I think of him. Im concerned hes behind in our new system. Thats what concerns me. The hamstring has been the problem, not the work he had done before. Hopefully, we can make up some ground this week and get in there and compete before this camp is done.
now one could interpret that quote as Weary isn't picking up zone blocking as quickly as the guys who are getting the snaps. But the reason he can't get the required snaps is that he is behind in his conditioning and, as a result, has to be held out of one of the two-a-day sessions. I know he was on the bike during two of the four camp sessions I went to.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #78
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
You're preaching to the chior.

While I don't know the S&C or medical fields well, I do know that the Texans have been near the top of the league in only one thig since their inception (INJURIES).

Please do away with the last remenant of the CC regime.

I started a tread about this subject in the off season & was chastised for it.

IMO we will never win big with Dan Riley as our S&C .

FIRE DAN RILEY
Old 08-05-2008   #79
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we expect AJ to play most of the regular season games in his remaining NFL seasons ? Though he just turned only 27 and there's no denying his awesome talent and he should be in the prime of his career, he seems to have become increasingly fragile over the years he's spent in the league and I just wonder if his reliability and stamina might continue to decline when most players at his age are enjoying the most productive part of their career ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008   #80
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Can we expect AJ to play most of the regular season games in his remaining NFL seasons ? Though he just turned only 27 and there's no denying his awesome talent and he should be in the prime of his career, he seems to have become increasingly fragile over the years he's spent in the league and I just wonder if his reliability and stamina might continue to decline when most players at his age are enjoying the most productive part of their career ?
I really don't see this as him becoming more and more fragile. He got injured a few years ago. He got injured last year.

He got a little tweak over the weekend but that tweak could well be related to him unconsciously trying to protect the injury he's still recovering from. But, really, players get little tweaks all the time. Everyone plays with aches and pains. I think this little groin pull would have just meant that they rested him in practice but he'd still be ready to go for the games.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read