Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-01-2008   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Joey Dorsey (Houston Rocket) trying out for the Texans?

Would be sweet to have an Antonio Gates type athalete at TE or DE.

http://dimemag.com/2008/07/joey-dors...ay-in-the-nfl/

Joey Dorsey Wants to Play in the NFL
By Andrew Katz

Could Dorsey play in the NFL? (photo. NBA)Joey Dorsey is 6-9 265 lbs. physical freak with Evander Holyfield’s shoulders. He was the sole enforcer on Memphis’ national runner-up squad, swallowing up virtually every rebound and tossing weak shots around the tin.

The Rockets liked Dorsey’s ridiculous athleticism (38-inch vertical) and toughness enough to trade for him despite being stacked three or four-deep already at power forward. But Joey doesn’t seem concerned about his spot on the Rockets. He can’t get his mind off of another Texas team that has inquired about his services.

At a recent workout with the Rockets, the Texans came to scout Dorsey as a potential Antonio Gates (Kent State, San Diego Chargers)/Tony Gonzalez (Cal, Kansas City Chiefs) two-sport standout.

“Football’s my passion - it’s my first love,” Dorsey told us. “They said I’ve got some of the fastest feet for a big man they’ve ever seen. I can see myself playing [defensive] end or tight end.”

Maybe Dorsey doesn’t realize that with the NFL starting in August and running through late January, it would be directly conflicting with at least two months of the Rockets’ regular season. Or maybe he’s just prepping himself for another career if things don’t work out with the NBA.

I almost hope our PF's do so well the Rockets wont need him. Like to see what he could do in pads. He was really an enforcer in college basketball. He looks tough enough and fiery enough to make that kind of a move forsure.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #2
Polo

Default Re: Joey Dorsey (Houston Rocket) trying out for the Texans?

A 6'9" football player is going to have a hard time...

That said, I'd like to see what he could do at DE...
Old 08-01-2008   #3
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I've always wondered what Karl Malone would do in football situations. Dorsey is probably the closest thing to it.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #4
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

He's really only 6'7. Heights are always exaggerated in basketball for obvious reasons.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember Lance Z. said that he talked to a scout and he said Chuck Hayes looks like he would be a good NFL tight end. I'm assuming the scout didn't watch enough Rockets games to see that Hayes can't catch a basketball pass so I'm not sure how that would translate into being a good TE...

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I cannot even begin to fathom the red zone scoring opportunities with putting him at TE. The 5 yard contact rule would be a huge advantage and being 6'9 with a 38" vert., I imagine he's able to outleap quite a few linebackers and corners/safeties. On top of that, he's a stud rebounder and knows how to catch/block the ball at its' highest point (aka he knows how to jump.. which sounds silly).

EDIT: Saw just posted he may 'only' be 6'7. With that said, he'd still probably be the tallest player on the field.
If nothing else, Madden would be fun! LOL
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #7
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I remember Lance Z. said that he talked to a scout and he said Chuck Hayes looks like he would be a good NFL tight end. I'm assuming the scout didn't watch enough Rockets games to see that Hayes can't catch a basketball pass so I'm not sure how that would translate into being a good TE...
Actually Chuck Hayes' hands are really good...
Sponsored links
Old 08-01-2008   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
I've always wondered what Karl Malone would do in football situations. Dorsey is probably the closest thing to it.
HA!!! He (Malone) would fall over as the punter grazed him but then knee someone in the groin and win absolutely nothing.. -SO- Pretty much the same as his NBA career.

Last edited by Texan_Bill; 08-01-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #9
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I cannot even begin to fathom the red zone scoring opportunities with putting him at TE. The 5 yard contact rule would be a huge advantage and being 6'9 with a 38" vert., I imagine he's able to outleap quite a few linebackers and corners/safeties. On top of that, he's a stud rebounder and knows how to catch/block the ball at its' highest point (aka he knows how to jump.. which sounds silly).

EDIT: Saw just posted he may 'only' be 6'7. With that said, he'd still probably be the tallest player on the field.
If nothing else, Madden would be fun! LOL
Ive actually read 6'6.25" but this is what would make a difference anyway. 8' 11" standing reach, 7' 1.75" wingspan and a 38in verticle.

I would to see him tryout for us if he doesnt make it as a Rocket. What do we have to loose?
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #10
DoCRoN
Veteran

Section: 608!!
Rep Power: 1328 DoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
HA!!! He (Malone) would fall over as the punter grazed him but then knee someone in the groin and win absolutely nothing.. -SO- Pretty much the same as his NBA career.
Love it love it love it. Freakin' hate Malone. Spot on Texan_Bill!
Old 08-01-2008   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

For some reason this thread reminds me of The Fridge from Pittsburg. Don't know why.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
That gave me a good laugh ..... I must spread rep around .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #13
Chicagotexan1
Hall of Fame

Location: In a van down by the river next to another van down by the river
Rep Power: 52 Chicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
For some reason this thread reminds me of The Fridge from Pittsburg. Don't know why.
It reminds me of that wrestling dope Lezner trying out for the Vikes. But Dorsey could pull it off. He's a thug (in a great way) on the court that intimidates and bullies the oppostion and he loves doing it. That and his athleticism could translate to football.
Old 08-01-2008   #14
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

He did call himself "Ray Lewis with a basketball".
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #15
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually Chuck Hayes' hands are really good...
Really? I always recall him letting passes slip through his hands that would have been an easy layup. Unless I'm thinking of someone else. I'm fairly sure that's Hayes though.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Why stop at TE or DE..........put 25 pounds on him and give us dueling LT's.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Harold Carmichael had a pretty decent career. Wasn't he 6'-8" or something?
My question is: what's his 40 time? He's no good if he's running a 5.5 40 or something...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Harold Carmichael had a pretty decent career. Wasn't he 6'-8" or something?
My question is: what's his 40 time? He's no good if he's running a 5.5 40 or something...
He's a basketball player, I imagine he can run under 5 in a 40 yard dash.
Old 08-01-2008   #19
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario is that tall with a 41 inch vertical .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read