Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-01-2008   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN article and video on cut blocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
But there seems to be some inconsistancy in Daniels remarks,
Daniels didn't say back of the leg he said back leg.
Old 08-01-2008   #22
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
He's not saying that we won't cut block Denver. he's saying that Denver won't be ticked off about us doing it, since they are used to playing against it already.
This is how I understood that comment as well
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #23
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I need to watch the video on cut blocking when I get home, can't see it at work. But you know, if the O-linemen make illegal blocks they'll be called on it. If they get a reputation amoung the refs for lots of illegal blocks, they come under scrutiny. But if it's legal, it's just football.

I'm sure Gibbs knows what he's doing, it's how our linemen execute is the deal.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #24
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Daniels didn't say back of the leg he said back leg.
If he means the "back leg" and not "back of the leg" then of course you're right, and Owen is legal. And you're right, he was quoted as saying "back leg".
On the other hand coachs remark "if you take the back of a guy's legs out, that's not nearly as cool", crosses the line between not cool into what's not legal, maybe ? There's some ambiguity in that chose of words.
Bit I definitely gotta think Gibbs knows the difference and/or wouldn't go on the record leaving the impression he doesn't. Therefor it leaves one to think he was misquoted or didn't choose his words as carefully as he might have.
At the very least, the technique is very controversial.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #25
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I need to watch the video on cut blocking when I get home, can't see it at work. But you know, if the O-linemen make illegal blocks they'll be called on it. If they get a reputation amoung the refs for lots of illegal blocks, they come under scrutiny. But if it's legal, it's just football.

I'm sure Gibbs knows what he's doing, it's how our linemen execute is the deal.
I think it's alot of mind games also . Kinda like having a peputation for a spit ball ... pretty soon your more worried about the pitch than hitting it .
Old 08-01-2008   #26
Polo

You can chop the back of D-linemen's legs in the trenches
Old 08-01-2008   #27
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
In fact, lets just make it illegal to hit any player below the belt....like boxing....

Why stop there and emulate a brutal sport like boxing. I say we stop this hitting business entirely. I have this idea where the players each wear two flags at their waist......
Old 08-01-2008   #28
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Why stop there and emulate a brutal sport like boxing. I say we stop this hitting business entirely. I have this idea where the players each wear two flags at their waist......

Lance Berkman tore up his knee playing flag football, so running is out of the question. We could go with some fast walking Doctor Detroit style....

Last edited by Señor Stan; 08-01-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #29
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"It's all in how you cut someone. If you make eye contact, if your head is in front, then it's a legitimate cut," Gibbs said. "If you do something cheap, if you take the back of a guy's legs out, that's not nearly as cool. I don't operate that way. I don't do things like that."
not just uncool but also a clip, right coach ?

Said Daniels: "Say you beat me across the face and then I am cutting your back leg. I don't know if that's a penalty, but that's definitely something guys will get more mad about."
Yea Owen, that's a penalty because it constitutes a clip as I understand
the meaning of that term.

If this is really of interest to you, be sure to watch the video featuring Mark Schlereth, former Broncos Olineman who is an authority on this technique. He clearly explains that hitting the back of the leg constitutes a clip and the area to aim for on the cut-block is between the waist and the kneee, not below the knee.

But there seems to be some inconsistancy in Daniels remarks, and even what Gibbs says is legal vs what Sclereth says ?
But all in all though, I've got to think the technique wouldn't be legal if there was a real concern to injury to defensive players. Afterall, these owners have been known to pay some pretty big bucks to DLineman and one has got to think they'd object to this technique if it was that dangerous.
And one more thing, I can't think of anyother technique that is not tested, developed during the week at practice but just used during games ?
Gibbs never made this statement. It was Pitts. The article has been corrected and they made this post in the comment section:

Because of an editing error, a quote in this post on cut blocking was initially attributed to Alex Gibbs. The quote was from Chester Pitts. The attribution for the quote has been corrected. -- Paul Kuharsky

Just wanted to clarify this.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #30
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Gibbs never made this statement. It was Pitts. The article has been corrected and they made this post in the comment section:

Because of an editing error, a quote in this post on cut blocking was initially attributed to Alex Gibbs. The quote was from Chester Pitts. The attribution for the quote has been corrected. -- Paul Kuharsky

Just wanted to clarify this.
Yea, went back and checked the article and it's definitely been amended. Thanks for the heads-up Insideop.
Old 08-01-2008   #31
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, seen the video, don't see a problem with cut blocking as long as it's executed properly.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #32
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

As Daniels is quoted in the article, the psychological impact of the block is perhaps more effective than the block itself.

Quote:
There is also a mind-game element in Gibbs' method.

"I think it just makes guys more tentative, makes guys a little softer," Daniels said. "If they are getting cut they are going to back up a little bit when they think they are going to get cut again. And maybe that's not what we're doing this time."
The preseason hasn't even begun, and the Texans have opponents thinking about the cut block. That hesitation should also slow defenders on play action passes, opening up the Andres to big plays down field.
Old 08-01-2008   #33
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
In today's AFC South Blog, there is an article about the Texans cut blocking scheme along with reaction from Mario Williams and Albert Haynesworth, along with a video by Mark Schlereth.

ESPN article and video on cut blocking
interesting article. thanks for the link.
what I found even more interesting were some of the reader comments - "well, if you won't do it in practice, why would you do it in a game?"
please....
No team hits their own QBs in practice.
No team allows their WRs to be "blown up" by their own LBs or safeties in practice.
No team crushes RBs in practice (unless you're Chris Taylor)
what a bunch of whinners....
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #34
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
OK, seen the video, don't see a problem with cut blocking as long as it's executed properly.
Exactly.
Don't want to start getting a rash of penalties because the guys aren't "getting across the bow" as Schlereth said. Not much worse than having a big gain or TD called back because of clipping.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"It's all in how you cut someone. If you make eye contact, if your head is in front, then it's a legitimate cut," Gibbs said. "If you do something cheap, if you take the back of a guy's legs out, that's not nearly as cool. I don't operate that way. I don't do things like that."
not just uncool but also a clip, right coach ?

Said Daniels: "Say you beat me across the face and then I am cutting your back leg. I don't know if that's a penalty, but that's definitely something guys will get more mad about."
Yea Owen, that's a penalty because it constitutes a clip as I understand
the meaning of that term.

If this is really of interest to you, be sure to watch the video featuring Mark Schlereth, former Broncos Olineman who is an authority on this technique. He clearly explains that hitting the back of the leg constitutes a clip and the area to aim for on the cut-block is between the waist and the kneee, not below the knee. But there seems to be some inconsistancy in Daniels remarks, and even what Gibbs says is legal vs what Sclereth says ?
But all in all though, I've got to think the technique wouldn't be legal if there was a real concern to injury to defensive players. Afterall, these owners have been known to pay some pretty big bucks to DLineman and one has got to think they'd object to this technique if it was that dangerous.
And one more thing, I can't think of anyother technique that is not tested, developed during the week at practice but just used during games ?

Are you sure about this? All descriptions of the difference between the cut block (legal) and chop block (illegal) are where the position of the helmet is.........in the case of the cut block, in front of the DL.........in the case of the chop block, to the side or from the back of the DL (or if the DL is already engaged). Both can occur BELOW the knee.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #36
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
As excited as I am about the new offensive scheme, I do have to admit I don't like the cut block.

Its even more depressing when Kubiak specifically states he won't cut block in practice or against Denver because he doesn't want to hurt those players. But he'll cut block Tampa, NO, and Dal and th erest of our opponents
I guarantee you that if the Texans don't cut block in the Broncos game, it will only be because they have a deal with Denver to be avoiding the same.
Old 08-01-2008   #37
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Are you sure about this? All descriptions of the difference between the cut block (legal) and chop block (illegal) are where the position of the helmet is.........in the case of the cut block, in front of the DL.........in the case of the chop block, to the side or from the back of the DL (or if the DL is already engaged). Both can occur BELOW the knee.

I thought the chop block involved cut blocking a player while he was engaged/being blocked by another player?....

Old 08-01-2008   #38
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
I thought the chop block involved cut blocking a player while he was engaged/being blocked by another player?....

I believe that the cut block (if performed legally with front position helmet) is only illegal if the defender is already engaged.
Old 08-02-2008   #39
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Did you watch the video ? Schlereth was very explicit when he said the target area was the knee-thigh pad, which sounds like the area between the waist and knee to me. And he also articulates very nicely the angle the blocker needs to take on the defender. But I gotta say ouch !
Schlereth also explains OLineman would only use the technique on the backside of the play and not onside or play side. The X-Bronco player does a great job in the video.
Old 08-02-2008   #40
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post

I don't think that's a requirement to be a cut block, it just usually happens that way....sort of.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read