Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-01-2008   #1
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP
Default ESPN article and video on cut blocking

In today's AFC South Blog, there is an article about the Texans cut blocking scheme along with reaction from Mario Williams and Albert Haynesworth, along with a video by Mark Schlereth.

ESPN article and video on cut blocking
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN article and video on cut blocking

As excited as I am about the new offensive scheme, I do have to admit I don't like the cut block.

Its even more depressing when Kubiak specifically states he won't cut block in practice or against Denver because he doesn't want to hurt those players. But he'll cut block Tampa, NO, and Dal and th erest of our opponents
Old 08-01-2008   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
As excited as I am about the new offensive scheme, I do have to admit I don't like the cut block.

Its even more depressing when Kubiak specifically states he won't cut block in practice or against Denver because he doesn't want to hurt those players. But he'll cut block Tampa, NO, and Dal and th erest of our opponents
Where did he say that?
Old 08-01-2008   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:

I agree. Football is a violent sport, and injuries happen just because big, fast guys are flying around hitting each other. The cut block seems like a deliberate attempt to injure, though. Sure, the coaches can all talk about technique, and getting out in front, and eye contact, etc., but at the end of the day, they've acknowledged that it's a bigger injury risk by not using it against opponents in a preseason game (if that's what they do). To me, it crosses a line,and it's cheap. I kind of feel like I'm rooting for John Stockton.

I have to admit, one Titan gave a quote that I respect a lot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by article above
Tony Brown, Titans defensive tackle: "I dislike it. I feel like that's the offensive lineman's cheap way out of it. We're all out there trying to fight and compete. If you want to be a man about it, try to block someone one-on-one, don't cut him. We're not going to like it, but at the same time that's what they are being coached to do. So we know they are not trying to be personal about it. That's their scheme. It's up to us as a defensive line to keep them from doing us like that. What you want to do is make sure you get your hands on them as much as you can, because if you come off the ball and don't have any hands, they're going to go at your feet quicker than you imagine. One mistake from you, you know you're going to be down, and there goes the ball cut into your gap."
Haynesworthlessness is not capable of understanding this, evidently.
Old 08-01-2008   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans won't likely tick off the Denver Broncos in the preseason opener, since the scheme assistant coach Alex Gibbs, essentially the run game coordinator, brought to Houston was the same one he installed and ran in Denver years ago.

But New Orleans, Dallas and Tampa Bay may not be very happy that their top defensive linemen are susceptible to cut blocks in the preseason.
Not from Kubiak, but in the article
Old 08-01-2008   #6
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I say if you're gonna do it, you have to do it to everyone. Sparing a team because you like them doesn't really help the image of cut blocking.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So it is purely speculation by a guy who just recently got his gig covering the AFC South.
Old 08-01-2008   #8
Polo

Cut blocking doesn't cause anymore injuries than regular blocking...

Guys just don't like it because they hate eating turf....No one likes their legs taken away from them....It makes you feel helpless...

If Offensive lineman can no longer cutblock, defenders can no longer go at running backs legs...It's cheap...Be a man and Tackle that 250 lb bruiser back up high!!!!
Old 08-01-2008   #9
Polo

In fact, lets just make it illegal to hit any player below the belt....like boxing....
Old 08-01-2008   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

Guys just don't like it because they hate eating turf....No one likes their legs taken away from them....It makes you feel helpless...
Damn straight!

Signed,

Travis Johnson
Old 08-01-2008   #11
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's not saying that we won't cut block Denver. he's saying that Denver won't be ticked off about us doing it, since they are used to playing against it already.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #12
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I don't like cut blocks either. We are going to be hated for this, but if that's what it takes to win, I'm all for it.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

That's true. The problem is when the cut comes from the backside and perhaps the player is already engaged. While that's not legal and not taught, the reality is that if you cut block regularly there will be more instances of this happening. Similarly, if you use a punch as an offensive lineman, you are more likely to hit a guy in the face.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Anything the Texans can do to piss off Haynesworth is fine by me. If the last NFL szeason taught me anything, fans will hate a team for any number of irrational reasons. A lot of east coast based sportswriters hate Houston already so I'll be fine with a little more hate if we're winning.

I've never felt cheap about any win my team has had playing football, and I'm not about to start because some opposing defensive lineman don't like it. Sign me up I'm all about going all-out to win.
Old 08-01-2008   #15
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 14294 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's time for us to start dishing out the punishment instead of taking all these years.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Albert Haynesworth, Titans defensive tackle: "They always talk about us being dirty, maybe they need to look at that, trying to hurt people and stuff. If they aren't man enough to stay up, shoot, they shouldn't be in the league then. The coach, either."
Ya know Fat Albert. I've been wrong about you. You're not dirty. Because driving QB's into the turf with the intent of hurting them AND stompin a mudhole in someone's dome is never dirty.

Asshat!!!
Old 08-01-2008   #17
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
That's true. The problem is when the cut comes from the backside and perhaps the player is already engaged. While that's not legal and not taught, the reality is that if you cut block regularly there will be more instances of this happening. Similarly, if you use a punch as an offensive lineman, you are more likely to hit a guy in the face.

To quote an old saying...."Sometimes you're the statue, sometimes you're the pigeon."

Its time the Texans stopped being the statue...

Old 08-01-2008   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
To quote an old saying...."Sometimes you're the statue, sometimes you're the pigeon."

Its time the Texans stopped being the statue...

If it's your team ... then we're scrappy .

If it's their team ... their dirty .

Here's to a scrappy season .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 08-01-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"It's all in how you cut someone. If you make eye contact, if your head is in front, then it's a legitimate cut," Gibbs said. "If you do something cheap, if you take the back of a guy's legs out, that's not nearly as cool. I don't operate that way. I don't do things like that."
not just uncool but also a clip, right coach ?

Said Daniels: "Say you beat me across the face and then I am cutting your back leg. I don't know if that's a penalty, but that's definitely something guys will get more mad about."
Yea Owen, that's a penalty because it constitutes a clip as I understand
the meaning of that term.

If this is really of interest to you, be sure to watch the video featuring Mark Schlereth, former Broncos Olineman who is an authority on this technique. He clearly explains that hitting the back of the leg constitutes a clip and the area to aim for on the cut-block is between the waist and the kneee, not below the knee.
But there seems to be some inconsistancy in Daniels remarks, and even what Gibbs says is legal vs what Sclereth says ?
But all in all though, I've got to think the technique wouldn't be legal if there was a real concern to injury to defensive players. Afterall, these owners have been known to pay some pretty big bucks to DLineman and one has got to think they'd object to this technique if it was that dangerous.
And one more thing, I can't think of anyother technique that is not tested, developed during the week at practice but just used during games ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #20
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 49148 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

There is sometimes a real fine line between a legal cut block and an illegal chop block (a matter of inches, having your head ahead of the d-lineman or behind) and a lot of fans don’t know the difference.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read