Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2008   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My petition for keeping Darius Walker

Ahman Green is the heir apparent to start.
Chris Brown is the next most accomplished guy on the squad, and he brings speed
Chris Taylor is a fan favorite, and a guy who had a lot of potential before he went down
Steve Slaton is our newest rookie
Mike Bell knows the system and comes from Denver

And then theres Darius Walker

The guy is understated. He's smart. He's a hard worker. He went undrafted, and he worked until he found a spot on the team. He wasn't getting any PT, but when he was called on, he produced.

He's not fast, but he's quick
He's not huge, but he's solid

He can run between the tackles, he can make defenders miss, and he's a great receiver out of the backfield.

In only 4 games last year, he averaged over 4.6 ypc
He ran for 264 yards and a td
He caught 13 passes for 81 yards

He put up these numbers against the #2, #3, #12, and #19 defense

He never put the ball on the ground

He's having a great camp

So I say, why not keep him around? He is the ONLY player on the Texans with NFL experience who isn't coming off a serious injury.

I really like Walker, and I hope he is a Texan this year
Old 07-31-2008   #2
Polo

Default Re: My petition for keeping Darius Walker

I said it a long time ago, and I'll say it again...

D-Walk is probably going to make this roster...
Old 07-31-2008   #3
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

didn't know we were getting rid of Darius "the KLINGON" Walker
Old 07-31-2008   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
Hopefully we aren't, but I'd say over half the board seems to believe he's not going to make the roster
Old 07-31-2008   #5
Toro59
Rookie

I like him alot. I really hope they keep him around. He's the only running back with out an injury history. Hope it stays that way.

I think Darius wants it more than any other back we have.
Toro59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #6
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Same here...besides Steve Slaton, I'm really excited about Darius Walker. He definitely showed some flashes last year...he's not spectacular at any particular phase, but he's just a good runner who gets yards. And he's a good kid, too.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think our RB situation is going to be like our WR situation was last year. Going into the season we weren't sure who was going to be the #2 WR. We weren't even sure how good our wideout corps would be. We had Kevin Walter who we traded for a late round draft pick. We had Andre Davis who was trying to get his career back on track. And we had Jacoby Jones, a rookie. I was kind of skeptical about how it would work out, but Walter and Davis did good things last year and now we all feel pretty confident about our WR corps.

I think the RB situation this year will be the same. We have Chris Taylor, Darius Walker and Steve Slaton who are all unproven. We also have an aging Ahman Green and an injury prone back in Chris Brown. I think whichever 4 (or however many) make the team, one of them will step up and take over the starters role and make the team and fans feel more confident in our running game. Of course we've had a musical chairs of running backs for a few years now so it may not be any different this year. I just think somebody will step up this year.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2008   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep the best backs we have no matter who they are. That's all I ask. I have no favorites, I have no preferences. Best four running backs make the team and lets get started.
Old 07-31-2008   #9
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He ain't got no forehead...he got a fivehead! Seriously though, I think he makes the team and is a big contributer this year.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #10
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

awesome im not the only one who thinks he looks like a Klingon.
Old 07-31-2008   #11
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Slaton stays healthy I don't think I will be worried about if Walker made the team or not. Walker did take advantage of the opportunity when his number was called but, he ain't Steve Slaton.:mshadows:
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #12
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt he'll make the cut, but I like him an think he has potential. The truth is that if he makes the cut and isnt another DD, it only means we still have problems. IMO the better teams with running games arn't too worried about their 4th best backs...
Old 07-31-2008   #13
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if they cut him (Walker) with the intent of stashing him on the practice squad, he won't make it - I think somebody will snatch him up. Might not be what is best for the Texans but might be what's best for Darius Walker....
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #14
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

As a ND fan I have watched D Walker's career since his freshman year in college and I fully understand his weaknesses and his strengths. In this type of system I think he can have some success and be the secondary rb who gives the primary rb a spell and does a lot of psoitives for the team. He will not wow anyone but he will always run forward. He blocks decently enough and can catch out of the backfield.
Old 08-01-2008   #15
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Smith and Kubes are trying to build a young team that will be around. Threfore, I think Walker stays and Brown is on the bubble. You can't make the team in the training room. I would love to see some footage of Slaton running between the tackles. The only clips I've seen of him in a Texans uniform show him going to the edge. In my opinion, Slaton gets filed into the Reggie Bush bucket until I see otherwise.

RB

Green
Walker
Bell
Slaton

FB

Leach
Taylor
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #16
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that fourth spot is a battle between Taylor, Walker and now Bell. The fact Taylor is being asked to take reps at FB to me says trouble for him.

I'll be pulling for Walker.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #17
DoCRoN
Veteran

Section: 608!!
Rep Power: 1328 DoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
The fact Taylor is being asked to take reps at FB to me says trouble for him.
I think the fact that Taylor is being asked to take reps at FB says trouble for Cook. Kubes has always liked Taylor, and now FB & ST are 2 more uses for him. I think (hope) it adds value to Taylor & he's a part of the 53.
Old 08-01-2008   #18
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
I think if they cut him (Walker) with the intent of stashing him on the practice squad, he won't make it - I think somebody will snatch him up. Might not be what is best for the Texans but might be what's best for Darius Walker....

No one snatched him up last year
Old 08-01-2008   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
That was before he stepped foot on an NFL field.

Either way, I think he's got a chance to stay on the PS because of all the veteran RB's that are looking for jobs now. Plus those who might get cut soon.

Old 08-01-2008   #20
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
4.6 yds/carry can change things...
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read