Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Colvin ready to play wherever the Texans want

Wolf

100% Texan
http://www.khou.com/sports/texans/stories/khou080729_cc_colvintexans.15174edc.html

HOUSTON -- Rosevelt Colvin says he's fine wherever the Houston Texans want him to play. As long as he gets to rush the passer.

Colvin was mostly a linebacker when he was a two-time Super Bowl winner with the New England Patriots. He's likely to be used as a situational pass rusher at defensive end in his first season with the Texans.

Rosevelt Colvin watched Tuesday's Texans practice from the sideline.

"I would love to be going forward," he said. "A lot of the guys up there in New England used to say all the time when I'd drop back in coverage, 'Keep that guy going forward."'

The Texans want to improve their pass rush and take some pressure off the double teams Mario Williams will likely draw after getting 14 sacks last season.

Colvin has 52 1/2 sacks in nine seasons in New England and Chicago. He was released by the Patriots in February after missing the last five regular season games and the playoffs with a foot injury.

He's healthy now and coach Gary Kubiak is looking forward to seeing how quickly Colvin learns Houston's 4-3 scheme. At 6-foot-3 and 250 pounds, Colvin's quite a bit smaller than the rest of the defensive line.

You have to love the attitude of the Texans and wanting to be a TEAM. If Amobi steps up in his second season like Mario came on in his second season along with some of the veterans the D is going to be NASTY!

You have to love the attitude of the Texans and wanting to be a TEAM. If Amobi steps up in his second season like Mario came on in his second season along with some of the veterans the D is going to be NASTY!
Agree.

The attitude is completely different. If you've been here since the beginning, you can feel the positive attitude. There were times when guys would come in and collect a paycheck. Now, this is for pride and respect. I love this new attitude. I have to admit, I was suspect on Kub's when we first fired him, but him and Rick are putting in work! :photos:

The attitude is completely different. If you've been here since the beginning, you can feel the positive attitude. There were times when guys would come in and collect a paycheck. Now, this is for pride and respect. I love this new attitude. I have to admit, I was suspect on Kub's when we first hired him, but him and Rick are putting in work! :photos:
fixed the typo :whip:

exactly

The attitude is completely different. If you've been here since the beginning, you can feel the positive attitude. There were times when guys would come in and collect a paycheck. Now, this is for pride and respect. I love this new attitude. I have to admit, I was suspect on Kub's when we first fired him, but him and Rick are putting in work! :photos:

Never had a problem with his hire and Rick Smith's addition to the FO. My only suspect member of this staff from day one has been Richard Smith.

He's got talent on this defense now. Bring the pressure this year or step aside for someone else who doesn't run the base vanilla defense.

IDK, jury is still out on this guy IMO. To me he's sounded like he only wants to be here because it was the better paying gig and it sounds like he doesn't want to cover and only wants to rush the passer. Don't get me wrong I like that he wants the QB but it just sounds like he came here to get paid high for only doing one thing.

IDK, jury is still out on this guy IMO. To me he's sounded like he only wants to be here because it was the better paying gig and it sounds like he doesn't want to cover and only wants to rush the passer. Don't get me wrong I like that he wants the QB but it just sounds like he came here to get paid high for only doing one thing.

While he does make it sound like he just wants to rush the passer, my impression was that he took less money than was offered elsewhere (Colts).

My only suspect member of this staff from day one has been Richard Smith.

Iirc, Frank Bush was Kubiak's first choice but AZ locked us out for a year. I've cut Smith some slack for the first two years because of personnel, but he now has the players and the people around him to have a good-to very good defense. If it doesn't happen this year, Bush is in line to take over next year. With Holland and Jethro, Hoke and Rhodes ...my god they have the coaching....and most of the players they need to be good....

No expert here, but I've been under the impression that he just isn't very good at coverage and he knows it, or at least he knows that's what people think. He's a large LB--large enough to play DE in passing situatuions--so, he's probably a little too slow for coverage.

Never had a problem with his hire and Rick Smith's addition to the FO. My only suspect member of this staff from day one has been Richard Smith.

He's got talent on this defense now. Bring the pressure this year or step aside for someone else who doesn't run the base vanilla defense.

Richard Smith was my other suspect hiring. This is a guy that slips under the radar. Now, the main question: Is the talent not good enough at times, or is the scheme and defensive play calling not up to par. I hate the aspect that we sit back and wait for a team to make a mistake or the front 4 to get pressure. We hardly ever blitz, roll coverages, stunt, etc....Our defense looks to be the most base defense in the NFL at times. Had it not been for the 1 man wrecking crew (Mario) during the last 7 games, the defense really would ahve looked suspect.:thinking:

Iirc, Frank Bush was Kubiak's first choice but AZ locked us out for a year. I've cut Smith some slack for the first two years because of personnel, but he now has the players and the people around him to have a good-to very good defense. If it doesn't happen this year, Bush is in line to take over next year. With Holland and Jethro, Hoke and Rhodes ...my god they have the coaching....and most of the players they need to be good....

I also remember it the same way; Kubes wanting Bush but getting Dick - I mean Richard. Eery how our D coaches are also in the White House...WHOA!

Richard Smith was my other suspect hiring. This is a guy that slips under the radar. Now, the main question: Is the talent not good enough at times, or is the scheme and defensive play calling not up to par. I hate the aspect that we sit back and wait for a team to make a mistake or the front 4 to get pressure. We hardly ever blitz, roll coverages, stunt, etc....Our defense looks to be the most base defense in the NFL at times. Had it not been for the 1 man wrecking crew (Mario) during the last 7 games, the defense really would ahve looked suspect.:thinking:

I had reviewed 3 Pats' game from last year.
The season opener against the Jets, plus the Browns and Charger games.

1. Colvin is a saavy veteran who can read the flow of the game quite well.

2. They lined him up both on the right and the left.
Most of the times at OLB, but sometimes he would put his hand down and play DE. He played more on the right.

3. He did misread one play and allow a receiver in the slot to stretch left, then down the sideline for a 7yd TD. Otherwise, he's solid in coverage.

4. Funny thing is that Colvin had McNeil's number, but was more or less neutralized by the rookie Joe Thomas.

5. He's quite strong. He can push a big guy like ONeill all the way to the QB in the pocket when he gets good leverage.
He can also give a good push against the double team.

hmmmm I guess I've felt a hint of this attitude as well. It's not really fair to make that kind of judgment though on just a few quotes, which is all I've heard or read. I am still excited about his role regardless of if it's limited and motivated by money. I think he can add an aspect to our defense that we didn't have before he got here.

This is the year for Richard Smith to put up or shut up, IMO. However, to give him his due, it was Kubiak wanting to keep it vanilla, because of all the injuries last year. This year we've got the players and the coaches we need. Hopefully the injuries will visit some other team. So it's time to let the dogs out!

No expert here, but I've been under the impression that he just isn't very good at coverage and he knows it, or at least he knows that's what people think. He's a large LB--large enough to play DE in passing situatuions--so, he's probably a little too slow for coverage.
he's just a classic tweener and most of those guys are better rushing off the edge than they are in space. He isn't a great coverage guy but he is a fantastic tackler. He gives us the ability to go to 3-4 looks in an instant and gives the defense a ton of flexibility.

he's just a classic tweener and most of those guys are better rushing off the edge than they are in space. He isn't a great coverage guy but he is a fantastic tackler. He gives us the ability to go to 3-4 looks in an instant and gives the defense a ton of flexibility.

I was just dreaming about packages with C.Thompson and Colvin in the game together. Mario could pinch inside the tackle with Okoye and TJ on the line, and those two guys could lineup at OLBs in a 3-4 right before the snap. That sounds fun!

Sorry man, I wouldn't say Colvin is fantastic tackler.

Sure, LT can make people miss. But Colvin didn't look too good in the Browns game against the run either.

i missed the broncos game, but saw the highlights online. no glimpse or mention of colvin. anybody hear anything recent?

(b4 anyone jumps, i'm in Sacto, CA, 49er/raider-land)

i missed the broncos game, but saw the highlights online. no glimpse or mention of colvin. anybody hear anything recent?

(b4 anyone jumps, i'm in Sacto, CA, 49er/raider-land)

He played a little bit but didn't get anything statistics-wise. I barely even noticed he was in there.

I'll take some of that action. I'll donate $10 to this site in your name if he doesn't make the roster you donate $10 in my name if he does.

Fair bet?

I'm thinking Thompson might not make it....

Why not? So far he has been impressive in TC and practices. He subbed in with the 1st team and play with the 2nd team, stood out on acouple of plays as well.

I think we'll carry 6/7 LBs this year. The starters of course, with Adibi, Bently, and Thompson. Coley looked pretty good as well in today's game, so he might be in too.

Back