Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-27-2008   #1
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Salary Cap

Based on Keith Weiland's calculation at intheBullseye.com (as of July 22, 2008), the Texan's were about 8 million under the cap before cutting Charles Spencer, and before signing Duane Brown (11.5 million over 5 years). If this calculation is correct, this looks like a lot of available salary cap space going into the season. Are the Texan's going to leave these resources on the table, or could we see a significant free agent signing some time in the next couple of months?

The Texan's could get at least one very nice player for that amount of money.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Salary Cap

I think that the Texans will of course pay attention to who becomes available around the league during training camp but I also think that they know the importance of leaving yourself a little room to pick up players over the course of the season as injuries take their toll.

If you're pressed right up the cap limit you don't have any money to sign guys to fill holes if the injury bug attacks (like it has the last couple of years).
Old 07-27-2008   #3
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Subtract the 52nd and 53rd salary from the available amount and a few million for the IR buffer and that's what you really have to work with. I'm not sure there is one 'very nice player' that's worth a lot of money who's still available. Lots of familiar names and former stars who are near the ends of careers are out there but if they could really be helping teams, they would probably be in camp already... I think the Texans remaining signings will be of the Anthony Maddox ilk, i.e., good depth and cheap.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #4
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a list of the 2009 UFAs.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

I would like a Steven Jackson please.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the question was about signings from the remaining FA pool this year.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #6
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

ahh, I see. Who's out right now that could possibly help us though?(Ty Law? maybe Mike Bell). We're already having a difficult time with the roster as it is, i.e cutting some pretty decent players to go down to 53. I guess we're waiting to see who's going to get cut from other teams, then make a decision on if we're going to spend anymore.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
ahh, I see. Who's out right now that could possibly help us though?(Ty Law? maybe Mike Bell). We're already having a difficult time with the roster as it is, i.e cutting some pretty decent players to go down to 53. I guess we're waiting to see who's going to get cut from other teams, then make a decision on if we're going to spend anymore.

Yep. Let's just wait to see who gets cut later on.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2008   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see the Texans making any more significant moves to bolster the team. Personally, I like the team we have. I don't know if there are any players that could significantly improve this team anyway.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't Shaun Alexander still available?
Old 07-27-2008   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Isn't Shaun Alexander still available?
Man, I hope that's a joke! His career is over. He's been awful for two years. Sluggish, afraid to hit the holes... no thanks!

there are no RBs available right now that are good enough to replace the 5 we have in camp right now.

Regarding the room in the cap, my guess is they'll do some restructuring and maybe get some guys signed to count against this year's cap: Demeco, Dunta?, Winston, etc..
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #11
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Who knows how injuries will effect us, it's really good to see the FO being fiscally responsible and having something put away in the event we need to go out and snag a player to fill a glaring need.
Old 07-27-2008   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Line dancing is good for your salary cap.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #13
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect them to leave themselves a good amount of salary cap space, not just for picking up fill-in FAs, but also to redo contracts of current players, and accelerate the hit into the current year.

My understanding is that if you work out a new contract with a player before the end of the season, you count this year as the first year, and thus accelerate some of the hit into this year, instead of future years. I think this mainly comes into play with the signing bonus (since I don't think you can adjust salary for games already played), but there's probably a way to accelerate some of the hit as salary, also.

In the same way, if there's no cap room left, it means they are limited in how they can rework contracts (have to wait until after the season, or do some sort of weird guaranteed salary/roster bonus instead of a signing bonus), since otherwise the signing bonus would have to be allocated in the current year. So, if they want to rework a contract early, they want to have some room available.

I konw Dunta Robinson's contract is up after this year, so I expect they will want to rework that. I don't know which other players they might also want to resign, but leaving some room is always good. They can always "use it up" by reworking someone's contract at the end of the year (converting future salary to current), if they want to.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #14
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
I expect them to leave themselves a good amount of salary cap space, not just for picking up fill-in FAs, but also to redo contracts of current players, and accelerate the hit into the current year.

My understanding is that if you work out a new contract with a player before the end of the season, you count this year as the first year, and thus accelerate some of the hit into this year, instead of future years. I think this mainly comes into play with the signing bonus (since I don't think you can adjust salary for games already played), but there's probably a way to accelerate some of the hit as salary, also.

In the same way, if there's no cap room left, it means they are limited in how they can rework contracts (have to wait until after the season, or do some sort of weird guaranteed salary/roster bonus instead of a signing bonus), since otherwise the signing bonus would have to be allocated in the current year. So, if they want to rework a contract early, they want to have some room available.

I konw Dunta Robinson's contract is up after this year, so I expect they will want to rework that. I don't know which other players they might also want to resign, but leaving some room is always good. They can always "use it up" by reworking someone's contract at the end of the year (converting future salary to current), if they want to.
I was thinking the same thing. We are about to enter into a new era in the Texans organization where the focus is on keeping the current players, as opposed to keeping an eye in other player's free agents.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #15
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

gosh, what a funny funny feeling.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #16
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the texans could go after Safety Roy Williams once the Cowboys release him from there roster, he would fit really nice into our defense and he would solidify our back end.
PHAROAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #17
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

id rather just use the spare cap to accelerate some bonuses so re-signing dunta wont be a problem next year
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #18
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97234 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I think the texans could go after Safety Roy Williams once the Cowboys release him from there roster, he would fit really nice into our defense and he would solidify our back end.
What?? Why on earth would the Texans want that over hyped awful safety? He can't cover, and he doesn't even tackle well anymore unless he horse collars someone. System or no system, we'd be absolute fools to go after that guy.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #19
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post

*Too slow! Texecutioner already addressed it*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #20
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i didn't deem this worthy of a new thread so i tagged it onto the end of the closest related one i could find.

i just read an article on chron.com that mentions:
Quote:
Rosenfels, who re-signed with the Texans in the offseason...
i don't remember him resigning. i thought he was just under continuing contract. am i mistaken?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read