Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-27-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario Williams is Houston’s reluctant star

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Quote:
HOUSTON (AP)—Mario Williams isn’t comfortable as the face of the Houston Texans. The defensive end is so uneasy with the notion he pretends not to notice.

“I really don’t pay much attention to it,” he said. “You know I don’t watch TV or read newspapers or magazines.”

When pressed, he continued: “I don’t have to know that. I’m just here to play ball and be part of the team.”

Like it or not, last year’s 14-sack season has made Williams this relatively anonymous team’s biggest star. Now the Texans are waiting to see how the top overall pick in 2006 will follow it up.

Williams made a big jump last season after having 4 1/2 sacks as a rookie while playing through a painful foot ailment. Houston defensive coordinator Richard Smith expects even more in 2008.

“He’s a lot more disruptive than a year ago,” Smith said. “He finished the year strong, which, I think, means more confidence. And, in turn, I think he’s going to have more success than he had a year ago. I’m not just talking about sacks; I’m talking about hurries on the quarterback and disruptive plays.”
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams is Houston’s reluctant star

Admirably humble, indeed. It's sad how some players get a taste of success and publicity.......and after a while ride the wave of their press clippings and past merits instead of focusing their attention to maintaining and improving their skills.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #3
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

My authentic Battle Red, Mario Williams jersey just came in last week! He's becoming my favorite player, after all the media BS he's been through. I can't wait to sport it this year. Here in the Austin area alot of people still on VY's nuts?
Old 07-28-2008   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans owner Bob McNair, quoted in the Houston Chronicle on rising star DE Mario Williams: “I think he has separated himself. If you go back and look at the films last year, there’s only two or three people who could possibly play at the level he plays. I’m excited because people haven’t given him the recognition that he’s due. And he’s been terrific from Day One. All of a sudden people think he’s become this terrific player. Well, he’s been a terrific player, but one person can’t do it by themselves. Now he has more tools, teammates who can help more, and so you get a chance to see his talent and it’s more obvious to everyone.”
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...said072808.htm

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5909580.html

Last edited by Wolf; 07-28-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2008   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans owner Bob McNair, quoted in the Houston Chronicle on rising star DE Mario Williams: “I think he has separated himself. If you go back and look at the films last year, there’s only two or three people who could possibly play at the level he plays. I’m excited because people haven’t given him the recognition that he’s due. And he’s been terrific from Day One. All of a sudden people think he’s become this terrific player. Well, he’s been a terrific player, but one person can’t do it by themselves. Now he has more tools, teammates who can help more, and so you get a chance to see his talent and it’s more obvious to everyone.”

A blind ESPN reporter (typical) walks into Reliant Stadium with a guide dog. He picks the dog up and starts swinging it around his head. Having alarmed the surrounding fans, a security guard approaches him: "Can I help, sir?" 'No thanks,' says the reporter. "Just looking and gathering material for my article."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
A blind ESPN reporter (typical) walks into Reliant Stadium with a guide dog. He picks the dog up and starts swinging it around his head. Having alarmed the surrounding fans, a security guard approaches him: "Can I help, sir?" 'No thanks,' says the reporter. "Just looking and gathering material for my article."
nice..

gotta spread rep first though
Old 07-28-2008   #7
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario doesn't really have the voice to go with his fearsome physique. He would rather let his exploits on the field speak for him.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-28-2008   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Mario doesn't really have the voice to go with his fearsome physique. He would rather let his exploits on the field speak for him.
we need to hire James Earl Jones to do voice over!
Old 07-29-2008   #9
Eight Gov
Rookie

That's refreshing to hear from a football player
Eight Gov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #10
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Old 07-29-2008   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the best and most respected by his peers defensive linemen in NFL history was a guy named Ray Childress who played for the Houston Oilers.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...C/ChilRa00.htm He was not known as a mouth or troublemaker. Just a constant pillar of a team. It is still early but I hope to be able to continue to compare the two.
Old 07-29-2008   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't wait for the Steelers game when Mario demolishes the Steelers horrible O-line!

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #13
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 85968 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When pressed, he continued: “I don’t have to know that. I’m just here to play ball and be part of the team.”
Sounds like Mario is humble just like that other guy everyone wanted the Texans to draft instead of him.

Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #14
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
One of the best and most respected by his peers defensive linemen in NFL history was a guy named Ray Childress who played for the Houston Oilers.
man, that guy clobbers big city prices for real.
Old 07-29-2008   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
man, that guy clobbers big city prices for real.
Nice!!
Old 07-29-2008   #16
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully the Pro-Bowl snub will be enought to fuel his jets for a while.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Perhaps he just doesn't turn his "Batman voice" loose except on gameday.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read