Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-26-2008   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Bell rumored to visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
GTFO Mike Bell! We are already saturated at the RB position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I'll second that. Tired of being the Broncos 2.0, as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I think Chris Brown just got sent a message.

STAY @ THE WEDDING IF YOU WANT & WE"LL MOVE ON

CHRIS IT"S TIME TO GET IN CAMP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
No more running backs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Thirded on the first statement, and seconded on the second.

I'm ready for having our own identity.
What's wrong with bringing in proven players when you have no real feature back? It's not like Green did anything last year or Brown doesn't have a history of going down. If a guy can play we should take a look.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008   #22
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

We don't need a washed up running back. We have enough talent on our roster at the RB position I think. I'm tired of getting the Denver cast offs. How much better would Mike Bell put us? Who would we cut?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We don't need a washed up running back. We have enough talent on our roster at the RB position I think. I'm tired of getting the Denver cast offs. How much better would Mike Bell put us? Who would we cut?
we have a few "washed up" rb's already. Bell is younger than both of them. as far was who do we cut...donno, but if you bring a guy in and think he can do the job better than the guys you have...you gotta make a move. Thats how you improve your roster.

Old 07-26-2008   #24
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

But I don't see how Mike Bell improves us much more, if at all, from what we currently have.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
But I don't see how Mike Bell improves us much more, if at all, from what we currently have.
what exactly do we have? A guy the Titans no longer wanted in Brown, a guy the Packers no longer wanted and hasn't produced in years in Green, an unproven back in Taylor, and an undersized situational back in Slaton....not exactly a cornucopia of talent.

Old 07-26-2008   #26
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

So would this be thread that it is OK for me to point out that Chris Taylor and Mike Bell are more alike than different?
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008   #27
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

you'd be crazy not to try him out. like vinny says, if he's better, you get him. if he's not you don't. if you find room for him and it's worth letting him compete, you do it. it's that simple. one of the main reasons this regime has been so successful is that they focus on players that fit their scheme, have some knowledge base in the system and meet a certain character criteria. i don't give a rats ass where he played before. it's logical that it was in denver because it's a similar system.

get over the denver thing. pay attention to our football team as they get better and take everyone else by suprise.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2008   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Vinny I'm in total agreement with you.

These Denver rejects have helped us reach 8-8 for the 1st time since our inception.

Who could they cut? One name that comes to mined (Petey Faggins).
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008   #29
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Vinny I'm in total agreement with you.

These Denver rejects have helped us reach 8-8 for the 1st time since our inception.

Who could they cut? One name that comes to mined (Petey Faggins).
Or... Mark Bruener
Old 07-26-2008   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Or... Mark Bruener

I'm not so sure at this time, the Texans would be entertaining this since they don't really have the depth they want at FB. And, at least for now, TE Bruener is our most reliable blocker outside of Leach.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008   #31
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

oh! oh! me! me! in the back! with my hand raised!!!

yes barrett?

oh! oh! how about jeff zgonina!!??!!?? he's 632 years old and does the flannigan every time he's on the field!!!!

(yes dale, we know, you'd cut ephram. don't bother posting)
Old 07-26-2008   #32
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
what exactly do we have? A guy the Titans no longer wanted in Brown, a guy the Packers no longer wanted and hasn't produced in years in Green, an unproven back in Taylor, and an undersized situational back in Slaton....not exactly a cornucopia of talent.
Bell is just a guy that Denver didn't want. If he couldn't make it work in their then running scheme, then how's it going to be any different with Houston. And if healthy there is no question that Brown and Green are better backs. And we already have enough projects at the RB position as it is IMO. We may have an inexperienced back field(besides Ahman and Green) but I wouldn't say it doesn't have talent, Slaton may be small but he's stocky and has a low center of gravity and has excellent speed. Taylor has shown flashes that he could be an every down back, has nice size and speed etc.

Last edited by ReliantTexan; 07-26-2008 at 08:12 PM.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008   #33
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
well gee...
when you put it like that...
where did I put those anti-depressant pills?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008   #34
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
oh! oh! how about jeff zgonina!!??!!?? he's 632 years old and does the flannigan every time he's on the field!!!!
Isn't it sacreligious to cut Methusaleh?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008   #35
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
Bell is just a guy that Denver didn't want. If he couldn't make it work in their then running scheme, then how's it going to be any different with Houston. And if healthy there is no question that Brown and Green are better backs. And we already have enough projects at the RB position as it is IMO. We may have an inexperienced back field(besides Ahman and Green) but I wouldn't say it doesn't have talent, Slaton may be small but he's stocky and has a low center of gravity and has excellent speed. Taylor has shown flashes that he could be an every down back, has nice size and speed etc.
not exactly bad in 2006 when he got a shot.. shown alot more than MB darling chris taylor tbh (except he hasnt seriously injured his leg)

in 15 games: 157 att for 677 yds (4.3 avg). 8td's, 1 fumble + 20 receptions for 158 yds (a healthy 7.9 avg)
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008   #36
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

So does anyone here really believe Green and Brown will stay healthy the whole season? I think that's asking a bit much given their history. But, we have what we have and that's how we are headed into the season. If they both go down, the Texans will be out in the market for someone in the middle of the season again.

It's not like we haven't been through this before though. If Gibbs system proves effective, maybe Taylor and Slaton scare up enough yards to keep the defense honest. We won games with Dayne before The Days Of Gibbs, maybe Taylor and Slaton will rise to the occasion.

But, whatever, at this point it's all speculation anyway.

Jeezzzzz.....that first pre-season game just can not get here soon enough so we all have something concrete to argue about. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008   #37
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

If Smith thinks Bell can come in and improve our team, who could be against it? It's not like we have to pay the guy and its not like he is going to take carries away from some super stud prospect.

I actually like our RB situation considering who we have coaching us. Kubiak and Gibbs historically have tended to gravitate towards running a lot of RBs in and out and having success doing so. The era of featured backs has come and gone. There are a few out there but its not necessary to win games.

The only thing that worries me is if Bell was so good, why did Denver get rid of him? Smith knows more than I do, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 07-26-2008   #38
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
If Smith thinks Bell can come in and improve our team, who could be against it? It's not like we have to pay the guy and its not like he is going to take carries away from some super stud prospect.

I actually like our RB situation considering who we have coaching us. Kubiak and Gibbs historically have tended to gravitate towards running a lot of RBs in and out and having success doing so. The era of featured backs has come and gone. There are a few out there but its not necessary to win games.

The only thing that worries me is if Bell was so good, why did Denver get rid of him? Smith knows more than I do, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.
Agreed. I Kubes and Smith both like him then hey, go for it, but I don't think they'll sign him. Personally, I just don't think he gives us any more than what we already have.

Last edited by ReliantTexan; 07-27-2008 at 12:01 AM.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #39
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
we are a different team with different situations. different depth, probably somewhat different schemes as well. just because he was let go in denver doesn't mean he's not a good fit here. (i'm not saying he is, i'm just saying it's not fare to say we are the exact same team). i know you're not saying that we're the same team either but the denver / houston thing has gotten silly for some people. the systems are similar so it makes sense to consider players from their system. it also makes sense to consider former players we've had that we've cut because they have an understanding of the system already.

again, that a huge part of the success of the new regime.
Old 07-27-2008   #40
checo446
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 checo446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to checo446

I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him and had him compete as a fullback in camp. The guy was okay as a fullback in Denver and could be solid depth at the position if the Taylor experiment doesn't work out there...
checo446 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read