Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-08-2008   #101
pittbull3
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 pittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: the injury list

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Salaam, obviously, out 3-4 weeks. That's one tackle.

Scott Jackson, has been out more than a week with a foot problem. They expected him to be back by now, but he's not. That's another tackle.

Fred Weary, having pain. That's a guard out.

Normally, they would let Duane play the first half at LT and Winston probably play the first quarter at RT. Then Salaam or Butler would come in at RT for the second quarter.

Then in the second half, Salaam would probably move to LT for a quarter and Butler play RT. Then Jackson and Butler or Frye would play the fourth quarter.

But now, it's going to be Duane and Winston probably for a half. And then Butler and Frye for the second half. Which is more work for Winston and probabl Frye than they planned.
No matter what, by the beginning of the 3rd quarter, Butler and Frye would have been playing. Salaam is 200 years old. The Texans were not going to be him up much anyway. This opens the door for them to let Salaam go. Save cap space and move forward with Brown at LT
pittbull3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #102
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull3 View Post
No matter what, by the beginning of the 3rd quarter, Butler and Frye would have been playing. Salaam is 200 years old. The Texans were not going to be him up much anyway. This opens the door for them to let Salaam go. Save cap space and move forward with Brown at LT
Unless there are complications with his postoperative course, there isn't a chance in HHHH that Salaam is released.............not with his past supportive performance and with the fact that he is the only experienced (in terms of longevity and knowing the system) back up tackle we have.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #103
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
So, in other words, we've had more injuries on the OLine that counted on, and the draftees/free agents/backups pool is being dipped into sooner than expected?

I'm beginning to see why this new 80 man rule sucks. I say drop a tight end or two, and get some OLinemen into camp.
Problem is, we're tight on TE's, too. We've got 4 right now and we'll probably carry at least 3.

The positions where we have the most players and the most excess is actually at WR, Safety, and maybe CB. I was surprised when they let Bell go to sign Tucker. I expected a wideout to be let go. We've got 5-6 guys fighting for the 5th wideout spot.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #104
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 258627 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

^

This is probably why I'm a NetAdmin for a living and not an NFL coach. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #105
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was surprised when they let Bell go to sign Tucker. I expected a wideout to be let go. We've got 5-6 guys fighting for the 5th wideout spot.
Bell was out of condition and unlike the WRs, he wasn't able to "Fight for a job". Just didn't have it. I'm a bit surprised that a guy who has been in the league and gets cut doesn't work harder at being physically ready to make a new team. IIRC, he did get some pretty good dollars in Denver, so maybe he just doesn't want to work that hard. Happens.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #106
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Bell was out of condition and unlike the WRs, he wasn't able to "Fight for a job". Just didn't have it. I'm a bit surprised that a guy who has been in the league and gets cut doesn't work harder at being physically ready to make a new team. IIRC, he did get some pretty good dollars in Denver, so maybe he just doesn't want to work that hard. Happens.
I hope that wasn't it. For his two years in Denver, he made less than $700,000. Remember - he was an UDFA, and his annual salary never made it above the minimum.
Old 08-09-2008   #107
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I hope that wasn't it. For his two years in Denver, he made less than $700,000. Remember - he was an UDFA, and his annual salary never made it above the minimum.
For some reason I thought he got some sort of bonus/extension a couple of years ago. Must be thinking of someone else.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-09-2008   #108
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Salaam, obviously, out 3-4 weeks. That's one tackle.

Scott Jackson, has been out more than a week with a foot problem. They expected him to be back by now, but he's not. That's another tackle.

Fred Weary, having pain. That's a guard out.

Normally, they would let Duane play the first half at LT and Winston probably play the first quarter at RT. Then Salaam or Butler would come in at RT for the second quarter.

Then in the second half, Salaam would probably move to LT for a quarter and Butler play RT. Then Jackson and Butler or Frye would play the fourth quarter.

But now, it's going to be Duane and Winston probably for a half. And then Butler and Frye for the second half. Which is more work for Winston and probably Frye than they planned.
Very Nice post. It Put 'em in a pickle. As to how much to expose the QB position to offensive lineman they have no more line on but what they feel about their capabilities. I'm sure they were hoping to get Winston off the field as soon as possible. No one asked the question on six ten yesterday. I'd like the question asked so we can drive a stake in it's heart, wrap garlic around it's neck and bury the fricker.

What would it take to flip Erick to the left side?
Old 08-09-2008   #109
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

What would it take to flip Erick to the left side?
Eric would probably have to grow some longer arms, slightly quicker feet to go along wit it. I think if Kubiak had plans for Winston to switch over to the left side we probably would not have Duane Brown on the team at this moment.

Don't let all of the "Go Winston" talk fool you, he's had his pass protection troubles as well. I think if we ever see Winston on the left it would be more temporary than permanent.
Old 08-21-2008   #110
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

trying to think of who we've got for this week....

Pitts (ankle) won't play. Studdard will start in his place.
Green (groin) won't play until the regular season
Adibi (i want to say it was a foot or something) will he play?
Fletcher (don't know) game time decision

a pretty short list for late august.

Thats all I know of. feel free to update it as you see fit.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #111
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
trying to think of who we've got for this week....

Pitts (ankle) won't play. Studdard will start in his place.
Green (groin) won't play until the regular season
Adibi (i want to say it was a foot or something) will he play?
Fletcher (don't know) game time decision

a pretty short list for late august.

Thats all I know of. feel free to update it as you see fit.
What about AJ? Are they going to play him? I didn't figure they would take any more chances in preseason with him.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #112
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
What about AJ? Are they going to play him? I didn't figure they would take any more chances in preseason with him.
Kube said AJ is going to play less than 3 quarters.

So unless something else happens, expect to see him in the game.
I don't care whether he played. Moss didn't participate in a single snap last year during pre-season, and look at the season he had.

Also, LT didn't play at all last pre-season either.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #113
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i don't mind him getting reps. he doesn't need them but it would be good for Schaub. maybe even just a quarter or two.

i forgot about the obvious injuries as well.

Jackson (foot) out
Weary (leg) IR
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read