Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2008   #161
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Texans Training Camp 2008

The players sure are because then they don't get any water.
Old 07-29-2008   #162
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry guys and gals, a few things need to be taken care off.
I thought Andrew would give a report already.
Or some other fans who were at the practice.
And Andy was there as usual to take all the pictures.
I've always wished he would have a digital recorder with him to provide some caption to the photos.

Give me a moment, and I will get to it!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #163
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Today I want to watch the linemen first (I've always believe in the war in the trenches.)

1. Okam and Brown slim down a good bit from what I can see.

2. During the linemen drill, the D won it today.

3. Goal line situation, the O-line won it, however.

4. I wasn't able to watch the full 11 in total, maybe Andrew can give more insights there, for he was in the bleachers and I was in the endzone working slowly up.

5. Good showing by the RBs overall (without Chris Brown), so it meant good job by the O-line.
Old 07-29-2008   #164
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

The D sure did win the battle today and number 64 was hit in the noggin and had to leave but then he came back. What was wrong with Chris Brown?
Old 07-29-2008   #165
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Thanks for all of the updates, everyone! They just announced on 610 that tomorrow's morning practice is open to everyone, even if you don't have tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
The D sure did win the battle today and number 64 was hit in the noggin and had to leave but then he came back. What was wrong with Chris Brown?
Back spasms, according to HT.com
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #166
gary
Hall of Fame

I saw him get hit as well.
Old 07-29-2008   #167
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The linemen drill.

Pitts was most solid on the Oline. There was nobody who can get pass him on this day.

Bull fighting out there between two Longhorns as Okam got a hold of Studdard (whether by the chest or by the throat - as another observer said that might have been the casse) and shoved him back.
Studdard was definitely in pain as he moved off to the side to recollect himself. 5-7 yard away, surely you can see it. Studdard was alright though, he came back 4-5-6 minutes later.

They were teaching Okam how to shred the double team right through the middle. And he applied it on the next drill.

The veteran O-linemen were OK-solid for the most part, but they all were tested.

On the Dline, Bulman looked good, I can see why they consider having him on the outside some.

Cochran, Jesse Nading, Gabe Long made their case.

The reserved Oline didn't look too good, I'm a bit worried about the depth at center.

I don't know if we can count off Zgonina, however old he is.
Sponsored links
Old 07-29-2008   #168
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the report.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #169
gary
Hall of Fame

Chris M. wasn't that good today at center he was getting beat quite often.
Old 07-29-2008   #170
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

I noticed a lot of work on the running game. There was a good portion of the tc scrimmage time devoted to working the run. Green looked good, as did Walker.

They also worked Slayton on kickoff returns. I thought he looked pretty good.

Remember my user name and take my report for what it is worth. BTW, it was nice meeting some more board members today. I got to sit with Obsiwan and Painekiller. And thanks to Gary (who EVERYONE knows) for the tickets.
Old 07-29-2008   #171
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Everybody's favorite man, chipping in on today's practice.

Quote:
Three players who are flying under the radar but are having excellent camps: running back Chris Taylor, defensive lineman Earl Cochran and receiver David Anderson.
Quote:
Andre Johnson and Mario Williams, the two-best players on the team, continue to impress the heck out of me. Johnson has been catching everything in sight. Williams toys with linemen like a lion toying with a zebra. I can't wait for September when these two play for real.
Quote:
One coach asked me to perhaps limit my constant praise of rookie cornerback Antwaun Molden. Okay, coach, let's see how I can put it. The kid is outstanding. He makes big plays in every practice. How's that? I could have called him extraordinary. I can't wait to watch Molden develop.

The more I watch Frank Okam, who is 6-5, 337, the more I like him. He moves well. He's extremely intelligent. And he's working hard. Now I'm wondering was it poor coaching last season at UT or did he just take off too many plays? Perhaps it's the coaching of Jethro Franklin and Frank Bush. Perhaps he'll hit the wall, or, when they play for real, he'll go back into his shell. Right now, Okam is a beast, but can he keep it up?
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/07/r..._training.html
Old 07-29-2008   #172
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I went to practice today. MW was just lighting it up. He was strong and fast coming off the edge. Green and Taylor had some really nice runs along with Steve S. McCoy had another nice day so did AJ not much again from JJ or AD. AD caught some. D Brown was able to provide some holes for the RBs. ES did ok as well at LT. Gabe Long looked really good. Leach did good. Molden did well again. Fred W. did not practice I don't know why. Matt threw well today.
Gary pretty much hit all the high points.

Chris Brown, Fred Weary, J.Jones, and Scott Jackson rode the exercise bikes for the 1st part of practice. As Gary said, Brown and Jones weren't a surprise. Jackson and Weary were. I could be that Weary is one of the vets that Kubiak said won't have to participate in every practice.

Gibbs was still in total Napoleon form again today, barking at everyone after almost every play. I did see something interesting; I saw Ephraim Salaam giving him lip in return. And Gibbs laughed about it. Its like when the Joker laughs. Its an eerie thing to witness and no good can come from it.

Back to seriousness... Boyd took the reigns with the third team and looked good at times. I think that guy has more zip on his ball than anyone this side of Schaub.

The O-line appeared to get the better of the D on most running plays. The RBs didn't get hit until they were at the LB level. Speaking of RBs, Walker and Green looked good again today as did Slaton. Slaton got to the edge on the defense on one play and kicked in the jets and no one on our roster could have caught him. Taylor played RB, FB, and even practiced as a KR. By the time they got to 11-on-11s Taylor looked to be dragging. To his credit, Taylor did everything he was asked.

Overall, I think the D-line got the better of the O-line on pass plays. At least when Mario was in. As Gary said, Mario was a beast all day. Cochran looks like he could step up and take ND's spot as Mario's backup. Weaver was a non-factor in the pass rush. Didn't see much of the DTs because of the way the ZBS works. Its just one big mass of humanity flowing right or left and it was hard for me to tell who was beating who in the trenches.

They did red zone drills today. I don't think the O scored but once or twice when the ball was placed at the 20. But they scored fairly repeatedly during the goalline drills. I don't know whether to be encouraged about the O or discouraged about our D where that is concerned.

Won't make it tomorrow but I will Thurs. evening.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #173
gary
Hall of Fame

They focussed alot on punt returns and on the running game today. YOU ARE VERY WELCOME GLASSHALFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2008   #174
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Gary pretty much hit all the high points.

Chris Brown, Fred Weary, J.Jones, and Scott Jackson rode the exercise bikes for the 1st part of practice. As Gary said, Brown and Jones weren't a surprise. Jackson and Weary were. I could be that Weary is one of the vets that Kubiak said won't have to participate in every practice.

Gibbs was still in total Napoleon form again today, barking at everyone after almost every play. I did see something interesting; I saw Ephraim Salaam giving him lip in return. And Gibbs laughed about it. Its like when the Joker laughs. Its an eerie thing to witness and no good can come from it.

Back to seriousness... Boyd took the reigns with the third team and looked good at times. I think that guy has more zip on his ball than anyone this side of Schaub.

The O-line appeared to get the better of the D on most running plays. The RBs didn't get hit until they were at the LB level. Speaking of RBs, Walker and Green looked good again today as did Slaton. Slaton got to the edge on the defense on one play and kicked in the jets and no one on our roster could have caught him. Taylor played RB, FB, and even practiced as a KR. By the time they got to 11-on-11s Taylor looked to be dragging. To his credit, Taylor did everything he was asked.

Overall, I think the D-line got the better of the O-line on pass plays. At least when Mario was in. As Gary said, Mario was a beast all day. Cochran looks like he could step up and take ND's spot as Mario's backup. Weaver was a non-factor in the pass rush. Didn't see much of the DTs because of the way the ZBS works. Its just one big mass of humanity flowing right or left and it was hard for me to tell who was beating who in the trenches.

They did red zone drills today. I don't think the O scored but once or twice when the ball was placed at the 20. But they scored fairly repeatedly during the goalline drills. I don't know whether to be encouraged about the O or discouraged about our D where that is concerned.

Won't make it tomorrow but I will Thurs. evening.
I saw some passes Matt that could not have been thrown much better and they were not caught.
Old 07-29-2008   #175
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Sorry I din't have a chance to meet y'all.

All the RBs looked good.
Green with good spring in his legs. He looked darn good.
Walker doing what he does best and that is finding the hole.
Taylor was quite impressive. At this point, I really don't know who we should cut to make the 53-man roster as far as RB goes.
And Slaton was running inside, too!

A good, very good fair share of the successful running plays were to the left, where we were standing in the back of the endzone.

Not much in the passing game.

Well, yeah, Jacques Reeves had good coverage on Andre Davis on that one play, as tight as I've seen Reeves in coverage, so maybe there's hope there!
Old 07-29-2008   #176
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks again for all you guys posting your reports about training camp. It is appreciated from those of us who can't make it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #177
gary
Hall of Fame

It is always good to have an RB that runs to the in and outside on your team. Walker did drop a pass that he should have made but no big deal. LOL.
Old 07-29-2008   #178
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

I hope the group of RB, especially Ahman, can atleast give us one good year. And give us time to find our feature back next year.

And I officially given up on Chris Brown. Sorry, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.
Old 07-29-2008   #179
gary
Hall of Fame

In camp Green does look like he has game left in him.
Old 07-29-2008   #180
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I hope the group of RB, especially Ahman, can atleast give us one good year. And give us time to find our feature back next year.

And I officially given up on Chris Brown. Sorry, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.
Word to this. Chris Brown is looking to be the odd-man out this year.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read