Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2008   #141
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Training Camp 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba...m_saturda.html

I'm starting to see a trend, the FA we throw the most cash at end up busting.... looks like Reeves is heading into that infamous list of players. Let's hope he break the curse, or else we'll just have another subpar player on a bad contract.

Memo to Smith. Don't buy players anymore draft them.
addendum to memo:
If you MUST shop (because you only have so many picks); browse the bargain racks. Those guys - Anthony Maddox, Bulman, Andre Davis, Kevin Walter, etc. - are more often much hungrier.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #142
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure this has been posted yet or not. Kieth (InTheBullseye) had a few comments on Saturdays practice. The portion about Gibbs is hilarious.

Quote:
When I arrived at Reliant Park and finally saw Gibbs, I thought, my what a fresh face on the field, a true visage of wisdom and warmth. Then practice started, and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD he ripped into fullback Jameel Cook for whoknowswhat. I heard maybe ten words come out of his mouth and at least four of them were "ass". I can only assume the other six were nuggets of his genius, like rainbows of love shone across a golden dewy meadow, but all I kept hearing was "ASSASSASSASS".
http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2008/20080726.html
Old 07-28-2008   #143
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I have to watch some more of the DB.
Old 07-28-2008   #144
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

thanks guys for the updates!
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #145
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

There will be some more reports tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2008   #146
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
By MEGAN MANFULL and JOHN McCLAIN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Hot times for Brown

Rookie Duane Brown got his wake-up moment of training camp just two days into it. He struggled to deal with the heat during the morning practice, and had to leave the field before it was over. He returned to participate in all of the afternoon session inside the bubble.

“Ah, man, it was terrible,” Brown said. “It didn’t get this hot in Virginia. Me, being young, I thought I could just come out there and do my thing, but there’s a lot more to it.”

The Texans are giving Brown a lot of repetitions at left tackle, and Saturday was the first day they donned shells under their jerseys. The coaches are also working with Brown to lose about 10 pounds. He said he hopes to get down to 315 pounds soon.

“(He) just got gassed,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “Taking a lot of reps, which he’s going to do, and he’s a little bit overweight right now. ... In this business, you’ve got to be able to go all day, and he’s figuring that out, and we’ve got to catch him up with everybody else.”
No help needed

Second-year defensive tackle Amobi Okoye is enjoying walking off the practice field with just his helmet and his pads. A year ago, his hands were filled as veterans dumped their gear on him.

“I just watch as the veterans ask the rookies to carry their helmets and I think, ‘Ha ha ha. That was me last year,’ ” Okoye said.

He hasn’t gotten up the nerve to ask anyone to carry his gear though. And he has no intention of asking fellow defensive tackle Frank Okam to do it down the road.

“I’ll just carry mine,” Okoye said. “If they volunteer to carry it then I’ll give it to them. But I’ll keep mine for another three or four years, because those guys are all still older than me.”

Okoye is 21 years old, Okam 22.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5909464.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #147
gary
Hall of Fame

He must loose some pounds.
Sponsored links
Old 07-28-2008   #148
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sights and sounds of the Texans' reporting day

I've covered the NFL in four decades, and Thursday was the first time I've seen a player pushing his baby in a stroller after he reported for duty. But there was defensive tackle Travis Johnson pushing seven-month-old Travis Andre "Duece" Johnson II in and out of Reliant Stadium.

While daddy was being interviewed, Duece was sucking on his bottle as flashbulbs went off, video and television cameras clicked and reporters - this one included - made faces to try to get his attention. But Duece didn't flinch. Even when daddy took him out of the stroller and held him high in the air, Duece didn't bat an eye, yawn or make a sound.

Johnson and Johnson provided the most interesting visual Thursday, the day before the Texans begin two-a-day drills at their practice facility. The best sounds came from all those players who spoke seriously about making the playoffs for the first time.

Considering how tough the AFC South was last season and how tough it should be this season, it's difficult seeing the Texans having a record good enough to move up and make the playoffs.

Think about it: They're 1-11 against the Colts and 2-10 against the Titans, including 0-3 against You Know Who. If they weren't 7-5 against the Jaguars, the Texans would be an abomination in the AFC South.
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/07/s...the_texan.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #149
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Just a note to the guys about the deep balls being underthrown. Sometimes the underthrow is by design. When you have a WR like Andre that is such a beast, most DBs do not have a chance going up for a ball against him.

When the DBs have deep position, the QB will underthrow the ball so the WR can try to out jump the DB or knock the ball to the ground. I know Kubiak uses this method, because he was trying to teach it to Carr.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008   #150
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Just a note to the guys about the deep balls being underthrown. Sometimes the underthrow is by design. When you have a WR like Andre that is such a beast, most DBs do not have a chance going up for a ball against him.

When the DBs have deep position, the QB will underthrow the ball so the WR can try to out jump the DB or knock the ball to the ground. I know Kubiak uses this method, because he was trying to teach it to Carr.
We know how that went.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #151
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm not sure this has been posted yet or not. Kieth (InTheBullseye) had a few comments on Saturdays practice. The portion about Gibbs is hilarious.

http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2008/20080726.html
Gibbs' "nuggets of genius" are not for the faint of heart. Even when plays looked successful, he found something to yell about. And when they weren't successful.... whoa...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #152
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post

How do you underthrow a slant Mr. Kubiak?
Old 07-29-2008   #153
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Gibbs' "nuggets of genius" are not for the faint of heart. Even when plays looked successful, he found something to yell about. And when they weren't successful.... whoa...
Yeah, me and a buddy kept an eye on him for a while during Sunday's practice. The guy's like a pissed off Energizer Bunny. It got to the point to where all we could do is laugh about it. I don't think there was 1 Olineman of the group that didn't face the wrath of Gibbs at one point or another.

My first name is Eric and when Winston missed the blitz from the rt side (forgot who it was), Gibbs screamed "Eric, $%#@" I thought I could've shat myself.

Old 07-29-2008   #154
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

It's been about 4 hours since practice ended and there is no news yet?
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #155
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
It's been about 4 hours since practice ended and there is no news yet?
I know, right! Didn't anybody go to the practice this morning? I guess switching to the morning practice's is a conflict for people's work. I know it was for me.

Anybody??
Old 07-29-2008   #156
gary
Hall of Fame

I went to practice today. MW was just lighting it up. He was strong and fast coming off the edge. Green and Taylor had some really nice runs along with Steve S. McCoy had another nice day so did AJ not much again from JJ or AD. AD caught some. D Brown was able to provide some holes for the RBs. ES did ok as well at LT. Gabe Long looked really good. Leach did good. Molden did well again. Fred W. did not practice I don't know why. Matt threw well today.
Old 07-29-2008   #157
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Texans Training Camp 2008

Thanks for the report, gary.
Old 07-29-2008   #158
gary
Hall of Fame

Oh, I forgot. To quote 76 Texan, "The water boys did a great job of running with the water."
Old 07-29-2008   #159
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Oh, I forgot. To quote 76 Texan, "The water boys did a great job of running with the water."
Thanks for the run down Gary.

Heck, I'd be a water boy if it meant I'd be on the field with the team. Hmm, I think I might do that when my kids graduate College.
Old 07-29-2008   #160
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I'm worried about injuries on that water unit.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read