Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-24-2008   #21
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario #2 in USA Today's top 5 active DE

I saw a rankings where Sporting News had Mario at #10. I thought he would be ranked above that.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #22
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142254 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
MC ahead of AJ. Unreal.
I know, right? I can't wait for a health QB and AJ to show everyone what a beast AJ is. Last year he would have blown up, but his injury stopped that.

AJ to me is TO w/o the attitude. I want him to have one of those years you know he is capable of having and deserves, now that he's got a couple QBs with testosterone to hang in the pocket and deliver him the ball.2

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #23
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I saw a rankings where Sporting News had Mario at #10. I thought he would be ranked above that.
Me too I think that he should at least be nine and up.
Old 07-24-2008   #24
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I can see reason for the other 4 ahead but...Marques Colston? Reggie Wayne at this point is better then Marvin and He's about in the same about as AJ quiet, from the U but goes out and does his thing very well. Should've made the list.

Why are people pointing out that RB who plays in N.O. without a mention of a certain QB not getting any votes either?
Reggie Wayne is ahead of Harrison on the list. I just listed the players ahead of AJ I disagreed with. I could have included TO in that list but I can see why he would be ranked ahead of AJ, even if I wouldn't do so myself.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #25
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Ain't this some shit?

Sincerely,
Osi Umenyiora
That was the first thing that popped into my head ........ not exactly that, but I was thinking Osi would have beef with it .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #26
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I know, right? I can't wait for a health QB and AJ to show everyone what a beast AJ is. Last year he would have blown up, but his injury stopped that.

AJ to me is TO w/o the attitude. I want him to have one of those years you know he is capable of having and deserves, now that he's got a couple QBs with testosterone to hang in the pocket and deliver him the ball.2
He doesn't even come close to what AJ does out there on that field.
Old 07-24-2008   #27
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I can't think of a single WR I'd rather have than AJ. There are a couple that are equivalent, but none are superior, IMO.
Old 07-24-2008   #28
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I can't think of a single WR I'd rather have than AJ. There are a couple that are equivalent, but none are superior, IMO.
But MC better than AJ?
Old 07-24-2008   #29
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
He doesn't even come close to what AJ does out there on that field.
Dude what are you talking about? TO one season last year, at age 33, was better then ANY season AJ ever put up. If you look at his stats, it is AJ that the one that doesn't even come close to TO.

Don't get me wrong, AJ my boy; and I get that he had Carr in the past and a crappy o-line, etc. But so far, he has NOT done anything to warrant being consider a top 5 receiver. So everyone need to get off AJ nuts, and wait till he proves he can produce as much as the other top receivers before you crown his ***.

There shouldn't be anything holding him back this year, so next off-season, he's either consider a top 5 receivers or he's not, it'll depend on him and his health. He got all the tools and is surrounded by good talents/coaches to succeed though.

Last edited by J-Russ; 07-24-2008 at 12:57 PM.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #30
austintexanite
All Pro

Hopefully he continues progress and we can make the playoffs. Dre should be in the top five, but I think his injury is what led to some people forgetting just how great of a reciever he is.
Old 07-24-2008   #31
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Dude what are you talking about? TO one season last year, at age 33, was better then ANY season AJ ever put up. If you look at his stats, it is AJ that the one that doesn't even come close to TO.

Don't get me wrong, AJ my boy; and I get that he had Carr in the past and a crappy o-line, etc. But so far, he has NOT done anything to warrant being consider a top 5 receiver. So everyone need to get off AJ nuts, and wait till he proves he can produce as much as the other top receivers before you crown his ***.

There shouldn't be anything holding him back this year, so next off-season, he's either consider a top 5 receivers or he's not, it'll depend on him and his health. He got all the tools and is surrounded by good talents/coaches to succeed though.
You are talking about TO we are talking about MC.
Old 07-24-2008   #32
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post

My mistake, I saw your quote and thought you were talking about TO. But what I still meant what I said. So far, AJ has the potential to be a top 5 receivers, but the media can't just claim he is, just off of 9 games last year, or what they saw on the field when he had Carr the years before. That all just potential. He needs to start producing before he can get up there, though.
Old 07-24-2008   #33
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
My mistake, I saw your quote and thought you were talking about TO. But what I still meant what I said. So far, AJ has the potential to be a top 5 receivers, but the media can't just claim he is, just off of 9 games last year, or what they saw on the field when he had Carr the years before. That all just potential. He needs to start producing before he can get up there, though.
Agree, and I think he'll prove himself this season as long as he does not get hurt.
Old 07-24-2008   #34
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142254 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think they are similiar in their skills and styles.

Unfortunately, AJ has been hampered by Carr and injuries, whereas TO has had capable to very good QBs winging the ball to him. I don't think AJ has "potential," I think he has the complete package already and is just waiting for talent on the throwing-side of the ball to be consistent.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #35
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I realize it's subject to debate, and nothing's cut and dry, but Sporting News, PFW and Pete Prisco at Sportsline.com all currently put AJ in the top 5 WR's, so it's not an unrealistic opinion or simply the result of folks being on AJ's nuts.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #36
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Well, that's great then. But if that's true, then he is overrated, IMO.

Remember, there was a site that rated Mario at #6 overall player. Did you think he deserve that rating after one good season, and only half a dominate season?
Old 07-24-2008   #37
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Not done anything? He made the ProBowl with David Carr as his QB; David "freaking" Carr. He had a great season on one knee last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #38
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So everyone need to get off AJ nuts, and wait till he proves he can produce as much as the other top receivers before you crown his ***.
Prove he can produce? Well how about:

6.7 receptions per game - 3rd in the league
94.6 yards per game - 1st in the league
.88 TD's per game - 4th in the league

I'd say the proof is already in.
Old 07-24-2008   #39
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Not done anything? He made the ProBowl with David Carr as his QB; David "freaking" Carr. He had a great season on one knee last year.
On 9 games.

He never produced more then 1,150 yards, and never had over 15 YPC, and he also never had double digit TDs. I know he got the skills and talent, that why he was 3rd overall selection in the draft. He just haven't put in the numbers yet, and although that might not be his fault, that just how it goes.
Old 07-24-2008   #40
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, that's great then. But if that's true, then he is overrated, IMO.

Remember, there was a site that rated Mario at #6 overall player. Did you think he deserve that rating after one good season, and only half a dominate season?
I agree that Mario isn't the #6 overall player in the NFL, and if you'd read my posts, you would have realized I already said that.

I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid - I'm just saying so are the other opinions on this board.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read