Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-23-2008   #1
RobbC
Media

Exclamation Charles Spencer picked up by Panthers/cut/now with Jags

Adam Caplan from Scout.com / BattleRedNation.com reports:

The Carolina Panthers claimed former Houston Texans OL Charles Spencer off of waivers today. Spencer was noted on the transaction wire failing Houston's team physical on Tuesday. However, it's believed he'll be able to participate in Carolina's training camp which begins on Friday.
RobbC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #2
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Charles Spencer picked up by Panthers

Good for him. I hope it works out.

I remain skeptical that he'll be able to "participate" in camp, though.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #3
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow first Carr to Panthers now Spencer. Kinda like the Broncos and Texans saga as to the Texans and Panthers saga wierd.

The hell with that good luck Spence dawg prove the Texans wrong.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

that was quick...it will be interesting to see if we bailed too soon or if we had it right.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
that was quick...it will be interesting to see if we bailed too soon or if we had it right.
Maybe we wouldn't have bailed as fast if we were still going to do some power blocking. I'm guessing that his weight, combined with his injury, limited him to a point where Gibbs wanted nothing to do with him.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 7167 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

At least he isn't in our division, that's all I have to say....
Old 07-23-2008   #7
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm thinking we bailed too soon. Just a gut feeling. The good thing is, the Panthers are in the NFC and we won't have to play them again for what, four years (unless we meet in a Super Bowl ).

Best of luck to him.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-23-2008   #8
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

It says right there above that he failed his physical. After almost two full years of rehab, and he can't pass a physical - let alone hang with the other lineman in OTAs which didn't even require pads or contact - I think it was time to move on. I hope he makes a comeback though.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 07-23-2008   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 296273 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish Spencer the best of luck with the Panthers, except when we play each other.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #10
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
It says right there above that he failed his physical. After almost two full years of rehab, and he can't pass a physical - let alone hang with the other lineman in OTAs which didn't even require pads or contact - I think it was time to move on. I hope he makes a comeback though.
I've heard before, that a team can make sure you don't pass a physical if they are ready to get rid of you.
Old 07-23-2008   #11
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I've heard before, that a team can make sure you don't pass a physical if they are ready to get rid of you.
Yeah, and keeping him around for two years and paying him during that time is a sure sign that we wanted to get rid of him.

The Texans did the right thing. I wish the fans were able to move on as well.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 07-23-2008   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get the 'too soon' and 'too fast' comments. This was one of the most deliberate, prolonged and painful decisions I can recall for any player rehab decision. If he couldn't get back on the field without pads nearly two years post-surgery, I don't see how waiting two or even four more months would all of a sudden have gotten him back on the field with pads and with expectations to perform at full NFL speed.

If he plays anywhere this year, it's not because the Texans gave up too soon, it's because of one of two things: a) they completely blew the assessment of where he's at, which I doubt is the case, or b) he no longer has the requisite agility to play in a Gibbs 'get to the second level in a hurry' system, but can still maul away in a power blocking scheme, which is possible. I'm leaning toward his NFL career is over and the Texans did everything they could to help him come back.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #13
SOLIS
United We Stand

Rep Power: 21 SOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of FamerSOLIS is a Hall of Famer

Let's keep something in perspective - he was picked up by the Panthers - the same team that thought enough of David Carr to give him a spot on the roster.

I'm not saying... I'm just saying.

Say word.
SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he said that he'd never be 100% again , I see him having issues from now on . A 340 lb dude with 8 screws holding your bone together and you push off with said bone while trying to drive another 300 lb guy 2 yards back , just seems painfull .

I was afraid he would end up with the Titans and become all world . Did'nt the Panthers draft Otah from Pitt ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #15
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

I knew he'd be cut the day I saw that photo of him during OTAs. His size was shocking.

I was as high on Big Nasty as anyone, but I think the praise and hype Spencer got was hugely disproportionate to his on-field contributions. He may have developed into a great LT, but we really only saw him once. No one really knows how good he would've been.

As unfortunate as the Big Nasty situation was for all parties, I'm hopeful that his deal with the Panthers portends good fortune for both the player and his former team. The fact that Spencer got snapped up quickly tells me that he might still be able to play in the NFL after all, and it also says that this team has OL depth like never before.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #16
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

So, in a way, we pretty much traded Charles Spencer for Rashard Butler, who played for the Panthers last year and was also a third-round pick of the same draft class. Two tackles with health-problem... even trade, no?

Best of luck to Spencer in Carolina.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIS View Post
Let's keep something in perspective - he was picked up by the Panthers - the same team that thought enough of David Carr to give him a spot on the roster.

I'm not saying... I'm just saying.
let's just hope Spencer doesn't take to wearing white gloves
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Carolina sure likes Texans cast-offs huh? Hope he makes it back onto the field, but I think he'll be very limited in a backup role if used even at all.
Old 07-23-2008   #19
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Okay, I'm confused. Manfull reports that Spencer passed the physical with the Texans, but the report from the OP says he did not.

It doesn't change my opinion on how the Texans handled it, but I'm just not sure what's true. Typically the local writers are more up on these things.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 07-23-2008   #20
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Okay, I'm confused. Manfull reports that Spencer passed the physical with the Texans, but the report from the OP says he did not.

It doesn't change my opinion on how the Texans handled it, but I'm just not sure what's true. Typically the local writers are more up on these things.

HUH?? Perhaps you mean that in most cities, the local press is up on the local teams... Not the case with the Chronicle, for reasons that escape understanding.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read