Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-22-2008   #61
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Charles Spencer Waived

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I think the hiring of Alex Gibbs was the death nail for Spencer on this team. He fit Sherman's scheme much more.
I dunno, are you saying he may have been retained if Sherman or another coach besides Gibbs was running the OLine ? That there's still hope for him to land with another team ?
I took this release to be the Texans definitive statement that Spencer's NFL career was now terminal ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #62
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Charles Spencer/Abbate/Powell Waived

Another left tackle bites the Boselli Curse and flops out with the Texans. Hopefully Brown is the cure.
Old 07-22-2008   #63
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I dunno, are you saying he may have been retained if Sherman or another coach besides Gibbs was running the OLine ? That there's still hope for him to land with another team ?
I took this release to be the Texans definitive statement that Spencer's NFL career was now terminal ?
I think the Texans gave him all the time he needed to recover and he couldn't, and now they are bowing to the inevitable. I don't think he'll play for another team.
Old 07-22-2008   #64
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I don't think he'll play for another team.
Pittsburgh might be a possiblity, at least take a lookie see

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #65
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

You know, I kept hearing so much back and forth on the guy. It seems his buds were saying he was always on the verge of being healthy enough to play, but then I would hear reports that he was nowhere near where playability. The Texans front office was no help either. A tackle could be mauled by bears and run over by a rig - backwards and forwards - and the front office would say he was questionable for next week, or at least doing real well in his recuperation from death. Whatever the case for Charles, I hope he is able to compete for a position somewhere.
Old 07-22-2008   #66
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

As sad as it really is, I think this should really surprise nobody about Spencer. Me and my dad both think that a team running a power running game will pick him up and take him into TC.
Old 07-22-2008   #67
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh Charles had a huge punch, it paralyzed the DL in front of him, and with proper technique he still has enough potential to get a look from a team running a power OL. Teams like Pittsburgh, Washington (If Todd Wade can play for them....).

So yes IMO Spencer will get a shot at another team.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-22-2008   #68
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I think the Texans gave him all the time he needed to recover and he couldn't, and now they are bowing to the inevitable. I don't think he'll play for another team.
You called Spencer's demise with the Texans way, way back there didn't you Runner ? I know you weren't trying to be pessimistic, you were just predicting what you thought would be the ultimate outcome as I recall ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #69
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

With Spencer cut, I had a samuel L Jackson quote ready to go (time to kill) but I will not say it .. not nice but my initial reaction wasn't nice either

but I won't quote it
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #70
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sad to see him leave, as he seemed like a likeable guy. But as long as he doesn't end up with the Titans, I'll still wish him the best. Not that he cares, but don't make me hate you.
Old 07-22-2008   #71
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You called Spencer's demise with the Texans way, way back there didn't you Runner ? I know you weren't trying to be pessimistic, you were just predicting what you thought would be the ultimate outcome as I recall ?
I cheated. I had a little insight into how bad his leg was messed up to start with. As I recall, I tempered what I heard by saying I thought he might make it back after a full year's lay-off (31 games after the injury), even though I really thought he was done for good. It was pretty well confirmed he had an immediate and hefty weight gain very early in his recovery on top of the injury, so it looked bleak.

I guess the Texans deserve credit for keeping him around and working the rehab as long as they did. His salary was fairly low and his PUP status kept him from taking a roster spot, so it was a fairly cheap investment (in NFL dollars), but it was decent none-the-less.

I wasn't one to predict the Pro Bowl for him after a couple of quarters in the pre-season, but on a personal level it's too bad for him. From all I've heard he's a pretty good guy.
Old 07-23-2008   #72
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I hate to see him go we did improve both in the sack colume and the win colume without him. We drafted a guy to replace him in the first round this offseason and hopefully he will work out. It is like with Boseli, we are missing what we never really had.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #73
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Oh Charles had a huge punch, it paralyzed the DL in front of him, and with proper technique he still has enough potential to get a look from a team running a power OL. Teams like Pittsburgh, Washington (If Todd Wade can play for them....).

So yes IMO Spencer will get a shot at another team.
It's hard to have "a huge punch" or utilize "proper technique" or realize "enough potential" for "a power OL" when you don't have 2 strong stable knees. If he is indeed picked up for a TC, I suspect he will be released by the end of TC. If he has any chance of returning to football at all, he will need an extra year of strengthening for a "definitive" outcome...........a year that the Texans certainly could not afford to give him.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #74
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

To me it's not a matter of can he comeback, it was a matter of can he comeback and not get hurt again. If we have someone with no injuries that is a backup, that guy deserves reps and a chance to make the team. If we want to be a playoff team we have to be healthy and our depth has to be healthy as well.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #75
Dancerdog
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Dancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVP

I don't know how close Charles Spencer was to playing shape. I think one factor that came into play was that he wasn't considered a good fit for the ZBS. Good luch Charles. I hope you catch on somewhere (outside the AFC South!)
Dancerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #76
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Hey Lucky, waiving Abatte could mean that were keeping Taylor as a FB. He was listed there before right? It would make sense considering our current crop of RB's health issues. If Brown or Green goes down then Taylor slides over to RB.
Cooke is probably going to be the 2nd FB but will mainly play ST; he's already got a leg up on Taylor in that regard. I think if taylor doesn't show anything on ST he could be out of a job too. Remember he's in the same position as Spencer was, coming off a season ending injury & plenty of depth at his position makes it unlikely he's seriously in competition for reps at RB.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #77
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
After a quick look around, I can't find a link verifying this. This would not make sense, well to me at least, why not just put him on the PUP, that would give him another couple months to rehab or is he just too close to coming back to be medically eliglible for the PUP list? If so, what about the PS?

The team could put him on the PUP, but he'd still count against the 80 player limit going into training camp. Only those on IR don't count and they're not eligible to play this season. The demise of NFL Europe led to this move. I think Kubiak wanted to see what he could do, but since he was unable to do any on field things during the OTAs they were forced to part ways. You need healthy bodies on the line that can take a pounding during 2 a days. You can't afford to bring someone who won't be able to practice.

DRob is a different situation. His injury was not nearly as severe as Spencer's injury. He might not be as fast as he was, but ligaments and muscles heal well. Spencer broke the tibia plateau, possbily the worst place to break something for a football player. Well, outside of the spinal column that is.
Old 07-23-2008   #78
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Hey Lucky, waiving Abatte could mean that were keeping Taylor as a FB. He was listed there before right? It would make sense considering our current crop of RB's health issues. If Brown or Green goes down then Taylor slides over to RB.
I wonder if Kubiak regrets having Taylor take a few reps at FB for all the speculation and questions that have resulted from it? That's all he did was take a few reps at FB during one TC while taking the vast majority of reps at HB. Kubiak was just experimenting. The possibility of Taylor playing FB is just a mustard grain of truth blown by the internet into a possibility.
Old 07-23-2008   #79
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I wonder if Kubiak regrets having Taylor take a few reps at FB for all the speculation and questions that have resulted from it? That's all he did was take a few reps at FB during one TC while taking the vast majority of reps at HB. Kubiak was just experimenting. The possibility of Taylor playing FB is just a mustard grain of truth blown by the internet into a possibility.
McClain talked about it some more in his recent blog post. Don't know if he has heard anything real about it or if he is just guessing. (He also says that Weaver is more suited for DT which makes me go huh so you can't put your brain in escrow when you see what he says on stuff).

You want to be able to keep Chris Taylor on the roster with your two experienced guys having bigtime injury histories and Slaton being a rook that you want to develop.
Old 07-23-2008   #80
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

McClain does better when he gathers information. He is better at documenting and relaying tidbits from contacts. It's just my personal pov but I wouldn't consider his eye for the game all that nuanced despite all the time he puts in his craft.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read