Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-22-2008   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Running Backs

FanHouse is doing their series on training camp battle, about three a day.

I chose to feature the running back battle because I think it's important to the Texans season and well, people care about it some for fantasy purposes.

Not much new here because it's written for mostly a national audience but some people might get something out of it.

A quick add, apparently the Hashmarks AFC South guy is going to be doing more Texans stuff and mentioned this is a recent post:

Quote:
Quarterback Matt Schaub told me Friday he thinks all the backs will be interchangeable with what they are doing. I'll write more about that soon.
Old 07-22-2008   #2
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Running Backs

Keeping Green and Brown healthy is the key. I think if they stay healthy and the Texans having blocking guru on board we will be scoring a lot of points. A better running game will also keep Schaub healthy, teams can't just focus on the QB. I'm excited about Slaton coming in on 3rd downs.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #3
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
FanHouse is doing their series on training camp battle, about three a day.

I chose to feature the running back battle because I think it's important to the Texans season and well, people care about it some for fantasy purposes.

Not much new here because it's written for mostly a national audience but some people might get something out of it.

A quick add, apparently the Hashmarks AFC South guy is going to be doing more Texans stuff and mentioned this is a recent post:

Good read, very good in-depth explanation of our running game, maybe the national audience can get a better idea of what is going on with our team.

Quote:
Conclusion: I believe that the Texans running game will be improved this year with the addition of Alex Gibbs working with the offense. Kubiak is desperate to get a consistent running game going. However, I also believe that any time you pretty much have a wide open camp competition for an unsettled but key part of your team, that is usually not a good sign for the upcoming year.
Pre-camp, I am guessing that the Texans lineup will be Green, Brown, Slaton, unless either Green or Brown have issues, and then Taylor takes their place. They might keep Taylor and only carry one fullback on the roster.
I really like your conclusion here and feel really good about the bolded statement. I think it will be Green, Brown, Slaton also.....but that's a big maybe with all the injury history we have. The one good thing is we have so many darn RB's that seem at least serviceable, one of them is bound to have a good season behind the ZBS. But which one will it be, it's compelling to me and something I will follow throughout the season. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

For the money the Texans have invested in him, I really hope Green stays healthy, it would be really awesome to see him have a great year especially since so many have written him off because of age and injury. I am not holding my breath, but it would be great.
Old 07-22-2008   #4
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I have been thinking about our RB situation is this.

I don't think any sane Texans fan would put up the deed to his house betting that they think Both Green and Brown will remain able to start for all 16 games. However as it looks now the toughest part of our season is the first 5 games. I bet alot of people would be willing to put something on the line saying that at least one of them will be able to start those five games. That in itself should give us a better rushing game than we had last season and thus give us a better chance of coming out of those 5 games as 3-2 instead of 2-3. Now if one or both of them remain healthy till further in the season our chances of having a winning season go way up after that point. If one or both of them stay healthy all season I think our chances of the playoffs go up but if they go down towards the later part of the season it will give the kids, like Slayton a chance to watch for awhile before being thrown into the fray.

I don't like our RB situation but I think if Lady Luck shines on our RBs we COULD have one heck of a rushing attack.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Good read, very good in-depth explanation of our running game, maybe the national audience can get a better idea of what is going on with our team.

I really like your conclusion here and feel really good about the bolded statement. I think it will be Green, Brown, Slaton also.....but that's a big maybe with all the injury history we have. The one good thing is we have so many darn RB's that seem at least serviceable, one of them is bound to have a good season behind the ZBS. But which one will it be, it's compelling to me and something I will follow throughout the season. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

For the money the Texans have invested in him, I really hope Green stays healthy, it would be really awesome to see him have a great year especially since so many have written him off because of age and injury. I am not holding my breath, but it would be great.
It would be interesting to see what this Rb group could do in new system if all remain healthy & do what they have capability of doing. Of course, I could say that about entire team. We need to cut down on QB sacks we give up, turn overs and injured players. Uh, that's for those of you who did not already know that.
Old 07-22-2008   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm 100% in approval of Kubaik & Co. when it comes to their philosophy about
the rushing component of their offense. And I'd say that committment was only reaffirmed with the way they dissed Rashard Mendenhall in this years Draft. Too many other more important priorities, especially when its not at all difficult to find a bevy of good backs to put on the roster. They can all just be, as MS says, interchangeable.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I'm 100% in approval of Kubaik & Co. when it comes to their philosophy about
the rushing component of their offense. And I'd say that committment was only reaffirmed with the way they dissed Rashard Mendenhall in this years Draft. Too many other more important priorities, especially when its not at all difficult to find a bevy of good backs to put on the roster. They can all just be, as MS says, interchangeable.
Yes, but were you not surprised? I was stunned when RM was not chosen and then a trade down? Whoa. Go Smitty, go Smitty. Molden and Slaton? UUGAH!
Old 07-22-2008   #8
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I think under normal circumstances the Texans would only keep 3 RB's, But considering the importance the FO is putting on the running game (bringing in Gibbs, signing Brown, drafting Slaton) I would not be surprised if we kept 4 RB's and one or 2 on the ps (Slaton/and or Walker). I think they will rotate freely between them based on health and production. I think there is a chance one will emerge on the top of the pile so to speak, but I don't think it will really matter. The end result will be about 2000 yards or more rushing for the team. By last years standards that would put us in the top 8 in the league. They will also be able to better classify the strengths of each runner in different situations so next season they can be even more productive and efficient. Maybe by that time we can pick up a more dependable tandem through FA or the draft.
Old 07-22-2008   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I think under normal circumstances the Texans would only keep 3 RB's, But considering the importance the FO is putting on the running game (bringing in Gibbs, signing Brown, drafting Slaton) I would not be surprised if we kept 4 RB's and one or 2 on the ps (Slaton/and or Walker)..
Slaton does not go on the PS. Someone would grab him.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no expectations for our running game so I won't be disappointed regardless of what happens.
Old 07-22-2008   #11
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I think under normal circumstances the Texans would only keep 3 RB's, But considering the importance the FO is putting on the running game (bringing in Gibbs, signing Brown, drafting Slaton) I would not be surprised if we kept 4 RB's and one or 2 on the ps (Slaton/and or Walker). I think they will rotate freely between them based on health and production. I think there is a chance one will emerge on the top of the pile so to speak, but I don't think it will really matter. The end result will be about 2000 yards or more rushing for the team. By last years standards that would put us in the top 8 in the league. They will also be able to better classify the strengths of each runner in different situations so next season they can be even more productive and efficient. Maybe by that time we can pick up a more dependable tandem through FA or the draft.
Third round backs don't normally get put on the PS especially after signing a deal.

One thing I am thinking on is Brown's running style, how it played in injuries in Tenn and how our running game will also be affected by an efficient passing attack unlike the past few years in Tenn.

I'm not counting on Green for much but unlike the past few years we don't have to default to Ron Dayne. We've got a much better backfield combined now. I just don't see out FO making RB a big time priority after this year when we can see effective results from a combined backfield.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209558 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I have no expectations for our running game so I won't be disappointed regardless of what happens.
About the only thing I expect from the Texans running backs spending more time on the trainers table than on the field .....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #13
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
For real.

The last two years with Ron Dayne at helm, will destory any expectations and hope you thought you had when Dom. Davis was back there.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't possibly see how it could get worse.

hmmmmm......perhaps I shouldn't have said that!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #15
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Hard to believe that I long for the DD/W days.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I have never been as excited about our running game as I have been this year. We have bodies & chemistry on the OL, Gibbs, a passing game that is just scratching the surface and a cornucopia of depth at RB with guys having different things to prove.

If a 33 year old Tiki Barber can go for 1600, then why can't an incredibly fit, smart and talented Ahman Green get there? All we are looking for is that one anomaly for a RB on the plus side of 30. I think Green is as good as any cohort in trying to get there just based on talent and drive. If he can hold up, he will be in the mix for an All-Pro consideration. If he can't, then bring in Brown and repeat & stir.
Old 07-22-2008   #17
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I have never been as excited about our running game as I have been this year. We have bodies & chemistry on the OL, Gibbs, a passing game that is just scratching the surface and a cornucopia of depth at RB with guys having different things to prove.

If a 33 year old Tiki Barber can go for 1600, then why can't an incredibly fit, smart and talented Ahman Green get there? All we are looking for is that one anomaly for a RB on the plus side of 30. I think Green is as good as any cohort in trying to get there just based on talent and drive. If he can hold up, he will be in the mix for an All-Pro consideration. If he can't, then bring in Brown and repeat & stir.
You make a good point, I think alot of people have relegated Ahman Green to filler status, just a guy holding the starter's position until the next guy comes along. That's what he will have been to the team if he never gets healthy while he's here, but if he can somehow avoid injury he still has the type of ability and know how to put up some solid numbers.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
Hard to believe that I long for the DD/W days.
DD was great while he was healthy. People sometimes just don't realize how great he was.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 239367 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
DD was great while he was healthy. People sometimes just don't realize how great he was.
He was allowed to run himself to the ground (without early treatment)........until he could run no more.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #20
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post

outside of the NSZ, you and I see eye to eye on Texans football.

Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read