Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-21-2008   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL.com has us as 7th best roster depth

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/stor...o&confirm=true

and i may disagree with what eliminates us. then again, i may not. Davis would be borderline starter.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL.com has us as 7th best roster depth

I've been waiting a long time for us to become one of those teams.

Seems to me that both Walter and Davis could start for another team, but whatever. Actually, what I've been thinking is let's get DRob and Spencer healthy and then we've got ourselves some serious depth. Course, half the team may be injured by then.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #3
Toro59
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I've been waiting a long time for us to become one of those teams.

Seems to me that both Walter and Davis could start for another team, but whatever. Actually, what I've been thinking is let's get DRob and Spencer healthy and then we've got ourselves some serious depth. Course, half the team may be injured by then.
agreed

so do we have two starting caliber tight ends? Bruener???
Toro59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #4
gtal98
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to gtal98

Dreesen seems to be capable, but has had very limited reps so far to really judge him.
gtal98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #5
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I think dreesen as a starter is a stretch for the reason stated above. Bruener? No way.
Old 07-21-2008   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I think dreesen as a starter is a stretch for the reason stated above. Bruener? No way.
Actually, I think that the Texans could be functional without Owen Daniels. Sort of in the same way you think that the Texans could still put up running yards without their starting running back (which could quite possibly happen). Whether Dreesen or Bruener could start for other teams is a different question. But for a system offense, I think Dreesen/Bruener are good depth.

The bigger problems for depth I believe are on the defensive side of the ball. How many players on the defensive side of the ball would you consider to be above average for their position?
Old 07-21-2008   #7
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 51708 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Actually, I think that the Texans could be functional without Owen Daniels. Sort of in the same way you think that the Texans could still put up running yards without their starting running back (which could quite possibly happen). Whether Dreesen or Bruener could start for other teams is a different question. But for a system offense, I think Dreesen/Bruener are good depth.

The bigger problems for depth I believe are on the defensive side of the ball. How many players on the defensive side of the ball would you consider to be above average for their position?
3 as of now: Mario, Meco, Greenwood, Bennett (as a #2), Dunta.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-21-2008   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no issue with being elimanted based on can our 3rd string WR start elsewhere. Davis has never been on to start elsewhere and who knows what we really have in Jacoby (little more than flashes of preseason talent that has become a fan favorite).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Our depth at defensive end is really bad. If Mario were to get injured we would have a serious problem getting to the QB. I think next year we need to consider using one of our first day picks (rounds 1 + 2) on a defensive end.

College DEs I will be watching alot of this year:

FSU - Everette Brown, redshirt junior
USF - George Selvie, quite possibly the #1 DE, except he is only a junior
Georgia Tech - Michael Johnson, very disruptive at 6'6 250.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
3 as of now: Mario, Meco, Greenwood, Bennett (as a #2), Dunta.

That's a pretty confusing quote right there. 3== 5?
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #11
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That's a pretty confusing quote right there. 3== 5?
It was written by brakos - what else did you expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:

well the elimination factor was weather or not the depth was starter potential. at least as it pertains to WR. I'm assuming that that was the theory behind a backup TE as well. Is Dreesen or Bruener a starter at TE on another team? I don't think so. As I said before, Davis is borderline. Maybe for the Tacks or Jax.

When we move to Defense it drops of drastically because of unanswered questions. Who would be starter potential at DE? Bulman? Maybe, maybe not. Kalu is a no. DT: could Maddox start for anyone in the league? I don't know. Certianly not a shoe in. Weaver maybe could but it's not fair to list him as depth at DT when he's starting at DE. As soon as you get to the LB's and CB's it's a totally mystery. I think that says our depth is questionable because they are unanswered questions. Maybe after some playing time we might find that they are serviceable and we are one of the deepest teams in the league but right now it's hard to say that defensively we have any certain starter quality depth.

All that said, I think we potentially could have one of the deepest teams in the league but I have little more than totally biased opinion to go on!
Old 07-21-2008   #13
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the texans have quite a few players and positions where there is not a significant dropoff between the starter and back-ups so we depth. Running back and safety come to mind. it may not mean that the play of the position is excellent, but not getting worse is a good thing.

That said, during the off-season, i know several threads addressed the issue that the texans were trying to improve the back portion of the roster say player 35-53 versus make big name splahes. a deeper roster can help overcome injury, when (not if) it hits.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

There has never been a Shanahan/Kubiak offense that doesn't have a feature TE with the speed/savvy to split a cover two and block. That's not Bruener. It might be Dreessen. It is Daniels.

FB is another position in this offense that's tremendoulsy important but people tend to overlook.

The Texans roster is getting harder to make, which was Kubiak's goal entering '07. I think they're getting there, whether their depth is 7th or 17th really doesn't matter. It's a lot better than it used to be.

Last edited by aj.; 07-21-2008 at 08:21 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
There has never been a Shanahan/Kubiak offense that doesn't have a feature TE with the speed/savvy to split a cover two and block. That's not Bruener. It might be Dreessen. It is Daniels.
Daniels can block ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #16
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Daniels can block ?
He is not a stud blocker, but I thik he does ok. I am more worried about his fumbles.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #17
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

7th best depth and 20th in the power rankings....

Smells like a whole lot of mediocrity...
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #18
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
He is not a stud blocker, but I thik he does ok. I am more worried about his fumbles.
Why? He's had 3 bad games.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Hard to hang on the ball with a busted up nose (where one of his fumbles came from). I think his broken nose bothered him more than they let be known publicly.
Old 07-22-2008   #20
barrett
Hall of Fame

keep in mind though that he did hang onto the ball with the nose. it hit the ground, he was out, he cradled the ball. you may be right that after that his play was effected.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read