Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-20-2008   #21
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL.com - Texans open camp with specific goal: Step out of cellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Dukes ate a little crow about the Texans late last year as Mario came on strong and started to look more like the undisputed top pick in that draft. I'm not sure who wrote that article originally and it only gives credit to the AP.
heh heh... I remember that segment when Fran Charles busted his chops and made him admit he was wrong about Mario.

I just hope he's right about Colvin passing along the "there are no moral victories" mentality to the rest of the defense. IMHO, the talent is in place. We need the team attitude to rise to the
"we EXPECT to win every week and will damned well find a way to do so" level.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #22
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
I hear rumbling around the fans that our strength and conditioning is lacking however I hear from all around the league how Dan Riley is one of the best. If he is one of the best, don't you think we should be showing the best results? He has been around for every season.
Agree. So why don't we show the best results?
Old 07-20-2008   #23
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
How does the injury situation over the past few years reflect on Riley's job?
Cute Doc.

If you lead the league in injuries one year, that's bad football Karma. Two years, we have a problem. Three years, go hire a new S & C guy. Hell, send Cedric Killings to school and hire him.
Old 07-20-2008   #24
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree.
Old 07-20-2008   #25
Dancerdog
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Dancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVPDancerdog was voted MVP

I see several imperatives for the Texans to post a winning record with the brutal schedule they've been dealt.

1. We've got to overcome the injury bug we've had the last two seasons. (I know this is obvious, but thought I'd throw it out there.)

2. Rosevelt Colvin and/or Chaun Thompson have to bring some serious pressure on the opposing QB from opposite Mario or our secondary is gonna get toasted. Again.

3. It was mentioned earlier, but this defense needs to play with some ATTITUDE! I'd like to see opposing WR's in mortal fear of making a catch over the middle. Also, if Amobe has made the offseason strides that Kubiak claims and TJ can continue to improve or Frank Okam can make an impact as a rookie, then it's gonna be a lot harder for teams to run between the tackles.

4. Establish a credible running game. There's no reason we can't run the ball consistently with Coach Gibbs overseeing this. I expect the Texans to improve their rushing stats SIGNIFICANTLY!

I'm excited as I've ever been about the Texans chances this season. We're knocking on the door to the playoffs.
Dancerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181498 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I just opened this morning's Chronicle and there's a picture of Dunta (page 6C). The heading reads
Quote:
Road to Recovery: Cornerback Dunta Robinson has been working hard in his return from knee and hamstring surgery and hopes he can get on the field during the season.
AND HOPES HE CAN GET ON THE FIELD DURING THE SEASON??????...........that's quite comforting.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I just opened this morning's Chronicle and there's a picture of Dunta (page 6C). The heading reads

AND HOPES HE CAN GET ON THE FIELD DURING THE SEASON??????...........that's quite comforting.
where have we heard this before?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2008   #28
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

CND, if you don't mind, save those papers for me until I see you during the season. My cockatiel really misses pooping on the sports section.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #29
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
where have we heard this before?
77, Dominic Davis- Williams, Ryan Young & Bosselli :

Not good. Couple of CB injuries, the season's down the toilet. Had a feeling...PUP list and get very lucky...maybe. How do you re-attach a Hammie Doc ?
Old 07-20-2008   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181498 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
CND, if you don't mind, save those papers for me until I see you during the season. My cockatiel really misses pooping on the sports section.
I'll see what I can do, but I'll have to clean off my dog's poop first, then air dry.........and then again, I'm not sure that I'll be able to preserve the print itself which is the key to THE paper's success in potty training.
Old 07-20-2008   #31
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I try to be positive ... well ... except at one position a couple of years ago . I think this will give Reeves , Molden , or both a chance to play and proove their worth .

I don't expect much from Dunta this year . Maybe he can bump Petey by midseason . If the Texans can get a better pressure on the QB ... they all get better .
Old 07-20-2008   #32
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
77, Dominic Davis- Williams, Ryan Young & Bosselli :

Not good. Couple of CB injuries, the season's down the toilet. Had a feeling...PUP list and get very lucky...maybe. How do you re-attach a Hammie Doc ?
This a difficult question as relates to Dunta's injury (since it's never been truly characterized). Most hammy injuries are strains or partial tears, which do not require surgery. The Hamstring is actually a conglomerate term of a group of different muscles. If there is a complete tear of the hamstring belly, surgery is like trying to sew a divided piece of pot roast. It does not usually hold and would probably only be performed to improve apposition (such in the case of a bleeding hematoma). Partial hamstring belly and tendon ruptures probably have the ability, in many people, to functionally heal fully with non-surgical treatment, although many times with nagging recurrent problems. The exceptions would be complete ruptures of proximal bony tendon attachment (at the ischial tuberosity [pelvic bone]) and biceps bony attachments at the head of fibular [the smaller lower leg bone](usually combined with posterolateral complex injuries as seems to be the case with Dunta). If the rupture is through the tendon, a tendon to
tendon repair is performed. If the rupture is at the tendon-bone connection or extremely close to the bone, a tendon to bone repair is performed.
Old 07-20-2008   #33
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Like how do two porcupines mate ?....very carefully. Or not at all.

Didn't sound good when I first read bout it...between the lines, my knuckle dragging' words...it doesn't happen often and when they do it, they are flying by the seat of their pants. Kinda like a pilot on dead stick reckoning.
Old 07-20-2008   #34
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
complete ruptures of proximal bony tendon attachment (at the ischial tuberosity [pelvic bone])
I could have gone all day without reading that.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #35
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Those are mean-spirited, hurtful remarks you've made about our beloved local newspapaer. And perhaps uninformed ? Why, I've heard rumors that the Chron's trophy-case is bristling with Pulitzer Price awards ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #36
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This a difficult question as relates to Dunta's injury (since it's never been truly characterized). Most hammy injuries are strains or partial tears, which do not require surgery. The Hamstring is actually a conglomerate term of a group of different muscles. If there is a complete tear of the hamstring belly, surgery is like trying to sew a divided piece of pot roast. It does not usually hold and would probably only be performed to improve apposition (such in the case of a bleeding hematoma). Partial hamstring belly and tendon ruptures probably have the ability, in many people, to functionally heal fully with non-surgical treatment, although many times with nagging recurrent problems. The exceptions would be complete ruptures of proximal bony tendon attachment (at the ischial tuberosity [pelvic bone]) and biceps bony attachments at the head of fibular [the smaller lower leg bone](usually combined with posterolateral complex injuries as seems to be the case with Dunta). If the rupture is through the tendon, a tendon to tendon repair is performed. If the rupture is at the tendon-bone connection or extremely close to the bone, a tendon to bone repair is performed.

Dahm....I think i'll just stick a fork in Dunta and call him done.

I hope I am wrong*,... but it sounds like a lot for an athlete, who relies on speed and cutting ability, to overcome.

*Might have been, once or twice.

Old 07-20-2008   #37
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
They are going to need RB Green to step big and have a breakout season and be that RB that they thought he was going to be when they brought the man in and at least one of their rookie backs to step up big this season and just have one of those Adrian Peterson rookie type of a season along with Brown.
WOW! You arent asking for much are you? If its going to take all that then were in big doo doo.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #38
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
WOW! If its going to take all that then were in big doo doo.

That is OK as long as we have plenty of Houston Comicals onhand.
Old 07-20-2008   #39
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
WOW! You arent asking for much are you? If its going to take all that then were in big doo doo.
I think you took it all wrong. Green is going to have to have a good season and at least one rookie back to maybe not be as good as AP was in his rookie season but to have a season like that. That is all I ment. Clear enough for you? Anyone need more?
Old 07-20-2008   #40
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

If Slaton(the only rookie back) were to have a AP like season, or even close to it, then we won't need Green to step up. Actually we won't need him at all, if it happens.

Cept, I doubt either of those is going to happen. Don't expect too much from AG, if you do then be ready for a big dissapointment. He's nothing more than a wash-up, old, injury prone, shell of his former-self RB now, on the brink of retirement.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read