Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-19-2008   #1
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL.com - Texans open camp with specific goal: Step out of cellar

A lot of what we already know, but it's worth the read. There's a video included as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL.com - Texans open camp with specific goal: Step out of cellar

Goddamnit. I never thought that there would be anything that could come out of Jamie Duke's (Dukes?) mouth that I would agree with, yet, here I am. Even though the video was short at least they actually talked about current personnel that the Texans have.

The article is pretty good and goes over a lot of what we already know that the Texans have done in the offseason. I'd say it's a postive piece and there's some information in it, but definitely nothing new. I am glad that we have finally shed the "laughing stock" term that we had on us in 2006.

Team on the rise, blah blah blah.

Last edited by b0ng; 07-19-2008 at 01:50 PM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Goddamnit. I never thought that there would be anything that could come out of Jamie Duke's (Dukes?) mouth that I would agree with, yet, here I am. Even though the video was short at least they actually talked about current personnel that the Texans have. I'll comment on the article in a sec.
I like Dukes since he gives his honest opinion and he is smooth as the other side of the pillow (ok, I couldn't resist the Stu blast). Two drafts ago he was pretty dead wrong on Mario so that drove most of his opinion about the team for a good year as he kept defending his decision (and getting on Texans fans nerves). I think he takes a deeper look at the team (now) and has us in just about the right slot - budding playoff team in a tough division. I think that about sums us up.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I like Dukes since he gives his honest opinion and he is smooth as the other side of the pillow (ok, I couldn't resist the Stu blast). Two drafts ago he was pretty dead wrong on Mario so that drove most of his opinion about the team for a good year as he kept defending his decision (and getting on Texans fans nerves). I think he takes a deeper look at the team (now) and has us in just about the right slot - budding playoff team in a tough division. I think that about sums us up.
Fair enough. I know some of his stuff that he said last season seemed a bit off to me as well, but really he just came off (last season) like another talking head working for the NFL Network.

What I'm wondering is where you found that article cause it's buried on the NFL.com site unless I need to use my glaucoma medicine again.

Also, you've got a PM homey.
Old 07-19-2008   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fair enough. I know some of his stuff that he said last season seemed a bit off to me as well, but really he just came off (last season) like another talking head working for the NFL Network.

What I'm wondering is where you found that article cause it's buried on the NFL.com site unless I need to use my glaucoma medicine again.

Also, you've got a PM homey.
Dukes ate a little crow about the Texans late last year as Mario came on strong and started to look more like the undisputed top pick in that draft. I'm not sure who wrote that article originally and it only gives credit to the AP.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197817 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Dukes ate a little crow about the Texans late last year as Mario came on strong and started to look more like the undisputed top pick in that draft. I'm not sure who wrote that article originally and it only gives credit to the AP.

By KRISTIE RIEKEN / Associated Press
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
And she writes for the Dallas News.

The Chronicle should just be ashamed of itself.
Sponsored links
Old 07-19-2008   #8
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

"You get more comfortable from year one to year two," Schaub said. "That's when you make the biggest jump in any system ... getting more familiar with things and getting used to them. It's just going to help this next year."

I don't know about the rest of you, but that part of the article got my attention. Schaub really needs to get comfortable, stay healthy, and make that big jump himself, for this team to go any further than the 8-8 of last year. I think he will do it. But there is just that little nagging worry, you know?
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #9
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
But there is just that little nagging worry, you know?
Thought that was why we kept Sage...
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
"You get more comfortable from year one to year two," Schaub said. "That's when you make the biggest jump in any system ... getting more familiar with things and getting used to them. It's just going to help this next year."

I don't know about the rest of you, but that part of the article got my attention. Schaub really needs to get comfortable, stay healthy, and make that big jump himself, for this team to go any further than the 8-8 of last year. I think he will do it. But there is just that little nagging worry, you know?

I'm in a wait 'n see mode as far as Schaub is concerned. I really hope he turns out to be the one we need. If he is, we are one running back short of a killer offense.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And she writes for the Dallas News.

The Chronicle should just be ashamed of itself.
She's the local AP writer who covers the Texans. Most what gets pushed out nationally about the Texans is written by Rieken. Most of the time it doesn't have her name attached to the article and it only is sourced as AP.

AP wire copy is shared and that article will probably appear on a few online sports sites and newspapers across the country before it's all said and done.

Last edited by aj.; 07-19-2008 at 04:27 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
She's the local AP writer who covers the Texans. Most what gets pushed out nationally about the Texans is written by Rieken. Most of the time it doesn't have her name attached to the article and it only is sourced as AP.

AP wire copy is shared and that article will probably appear on a few online sports sites and newspapers across the country before it's all said and done.
So is it sad that the better of Texans beat writers works for a Dallas paper? Or am I just way off my rocker in that department?

I mean is it too much to ask for one of our homegrown writers to be the
people who get the articles pushed out in the national media or what?

EDIT: I get what you're saying now, and I'm sort of a doofus. But on the other hand, I just don't get how these kinds of pieces aren't put out by the Chronicle.
Old 07-19-2008   #13
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 79515 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LAST YEAR: The Texans reached .500 for the first time last season, but that record might be misleading since the eighth win came against a Jaguars team that had already made the playoffs and rested most starters.
I don't like to bellyache about the press, but I'm more than a little sick of reading the * people keep putting on last year's record.
Old 07-19-2008   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

She's not an employee of the Dallas Morning News. She is an AP writer who provides copy to any AP member/affiliate that wants to run it.

Local beat writers typically don't get their stuff pushed nationally, unless they are working under contract to provide such material - like Manfull does with TSN.

The Chronicle pulls news about other NFL teams off the AP wire just like the DMN did Rieken's, but I don't think the Chron can run her stuff locally in deference to the home beat writers and columnists.

Last edited by aj.; 07-19-2008 at 05:20 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

The Texans will need Matt and AJ both to step up big this season with those two being hurt for most of the season last season they did not get the chance to show their true game's. If they are able to stay healthy this season I think that they will get that chance. They are going to need RB Green to step big and have a breakout season and be that RB that they thought he was going to be when they brought the man in and at least one of their rookie backs to step up big this season and just have one of those Adrian Peterson rookie type of a season along with Brown. The D must keep playing the way they have been playing under Gary K. these last two seasons especially the front four guys and that will happen and hopefully feed into the rest of the Texans defense but also the defensive backs to step up and play alot better by not allowing the opposing quarterback to step up in the pocket and make the big touchdown pass down the football field. I think that having an injury prone backfield as the Texans had last season contributed to the problem. I hope everyone stays healthy this season..

Last edited by gary; 07-19-2008 at 10:15 PM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #16
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
The Texans will need Matt and AJ both to step up big this season with those two being hurt for most of the season last season they did not get the chance to show their true game's. If they are able to stay healthy this season I think that they will get that chance. They are going to need RB Green to step big and have a breakout season and be that RB that they thought he was going to be when they brought the man in and at least one of their rookie backs to step up big this season and just have one of those Adrian Peterson rookie type of a season along with Brown. The D must keep playing the way they have been playing under Gary K. these last two seasons especially the front four guys and that will happen and hopefully feed into the rest of the Texans defense but also the defensive backs to step up and play alot better by not allowing the opposing quarterback to step up in the pocket and make the big touchdown pass down the football field. I think that having an injury prone backfield as the Texans had last season contributed to the problem. I hope everyone stays healthy this season..
I hope so too. Injuries and turnovers are what accounted for the most of the losses last year when we were in winnable games.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197817 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
I hope so too. Injuries and turnovers are what accounted for the most of the losses last year when we were in winnable games.
The is what players like AJ, MS, DR, Chris Taylor, AG, and Chris Brown are all telling Riley, Kubiak and Smith..........[click]I DON'T WANT TO GET HURT
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #18
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

How does the injury situation over the past few years reflect on Riley's job?
Old 07-20-2008   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So is it sad that the better of Texans beat writers works for a Dallas paper? Or am I just way off my rocker in that department?

I mean is it too much to ask for one of our homegrown writers to be the
people who get the articles pushed out in the national media or what?

EDIT: I get what you're saying now, and I'm sort of a doofus. But on the other hand, I just don't get how these kinds of pieces aren't put out by the Chronicle.
The Chronicle is a baseball first (news) paper. If you don't like it, drop it in May. Don't pick delivery up again until late July.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Last edited by threetoedpete; 07-20-2008 at 08:52 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #20
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

I hear rumbling around the fans that our strength and conditioning is lacking however I hear from all around the league how Dan Riley is one of the best. If he is one of the best, don't you think we should be showing the best results? He has been around for every season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read