Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 07-19-2008   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Get Outta the Tailgates, Into Yer Seats

The Texans like tailgating. They like not so much the late arrivals into the stadium. They are looking for ways to get people into their seats earlier.

For more, check out this:

Be Loud, Be Early: Take The Texans Home Field Advantage Pledge

I think marketing alone can't do this. We as Texans fans have to own this. We need to make this happen.
Old 07-19-2008   #2
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Get Outta the Tailgates, Into Yer Seats

Wow...I always thought they were in some back room counting money and too consumed to notice who was where.

Maybe they can create a "tailgating police task force" to herd in the masses?

"Put yer turkey leg down and move along, sir. Game starts in 15 minutes."
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #3
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 57304 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Our system usually has us in our seats by introductions. We start breaking down camp at 11:00 and by about 11:20, no later than 11:25 (usually), we're heading toward the stadium. And being that we're in yellow, that's a pretty good hike, but it's just enough time to be in our seats by intros.

Now depending on the lines getting in, I'll miss intros every once in a while, but I think I've only missed one kickoff in 6 years.

And I NEVER leave until the game is over.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #4
Mean Machine
Veteran

Rep Power: 114 Mean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respected

Imagine this scene.......
Sunday, September 14, 2008...around 11:55am...Reliant Stadium....a buzz, no a ROAR, as 70 thousand WHITE clad fans, stomping their feet, screaming their lungs out as YOUR Houston Texans come firing out of the tunnel...
Liberty White Kick off.

What an awesome scene it should be...so get your rear ends in gear and into the stadium on time!!!

COME EARLY
BE LOUD
WEAR WHITE

It's really a simple concept, fan, shortened from the word fanatic, which means you are crazy about your team.

That's easy!
sec 637: Gridiron, Texas.
Mean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Our system usually has us in our seats by introductions. We start breaking down camp at 11:00 and by about 11:20, no later than 11:25 (usually), we're heading toward the stadium. And being that we're in yellow, that's a pretty good hike, but it's just enough time to be in our seats by intros.

Now depending on the lines getting in, I'll miss intros every once in a while, but I think I've only missed one kickoff in 6 years.

And I NEVER leave until the game is over.
Great point. Every tailgate has to exit plan.

I encourage anyone who has any ideas to put them in the comments of the blog post that I wrote over at imatexan. I know that folks with the Texans pay attention to such things.
Old 07-20-2008   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

what happened to those old astroworld trams? They could pack them up and put bull horns on the top of them like TEDC wants. They wouldn't be able to move the masses but it would provide a nice visual and get the herd moving earlier.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

They could have 2 dollar beer between 11:30 and 11:50 .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2008   #8
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
and $2 cokes for those that do not drink.
Old 07-20-2008   #9
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
what happened to those old astroworld trams? They could pack them up and put bull horns on the top of them like TEDC wants. They wouldn't be able to move the masses but it would provide a nice visual and get the herd moving earlier.
Trams would be a great idea for those coming from the Yellow lot (or other far off destinations. It might put those poor bike cabs out of a job, though.
Old 07-20-2008   #10
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Would have to be earlier than that. Otherwise you would be in a long line insted of your seats.
Old 07-20-2008   #11
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Machine View Post
Imagine this scene.......
Sunday, September 14, 2008...around 11:55am...Reliant Stadium....a buzz, no a ROAR, as 70 thousand WHITE clad fans, stomping their feet, screaming their lungs out as YOUR UNDEFEATED Houston Texans come firing out of the tunnel...
Liberty White Kick off.

What an awesome scene it should be...so get your rear ends in gear and into the stadium on time!!!

COME EARLY
BE LOUD
WEAR WHITE

It's really a simple concept, fan, shortened from the word fanatic, which means you are crazy about your team.

That's easy!
Left one key word out.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #12
bpe3
Veteran

Rep Power: 352 bpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree this is a problem. The number of empty seats at Reliant Stadium is an embarrassment. I like to tailgate as much as the next guy, but I always make it to my seat by kickoff. I wouldn't blame the tailgaters for being late, though. The pakring lot poplulation is pretty thin by the time I head into the stadium.

The Texans front office also has some work to do.

Vertical transportation is a problem at Reliant Stadum. The ramps were designed wrong. They're not steep enough. As such, it takes a VERY LONG time to walk up the ramps to the 500-600 level. The only other option is the escalators, which don't have enough capasity.

The Texans have recognized this problem since 2002. They racked up close to $300 million of profit for Bob McNair and his investors since 2002, but they haven't reinvested a nickel for improvements to solve this problem. All they need is a separate bank of escalators for the 500-600 level. The existing ecalators can serve the Lower and Club levels. The Texans are mistakenly trying to co-ordinate vertical transportation improvements with the Rodeo. It's not an issue for the Rodeo though as their crowds arrive over a much longer window of time. The Texans need to bite the bullet and fix this problem on their own.

Club Level access is another problem. Too many people are allowed to sneak into the Club Level even though they have seats in other parts of the stadium. They'd rather sip cocktails and watch the game on a plasma TV with the briefcase and busienss card crowd instead of sitting in their assigned seats and watching the actual game. The Texans need to better police this distraction. A simple scan-in, scan-out ticket policy would solve this problem.

Here's my suggestion: All parking lots should have a $20 surcharge for each vehicle arriving after 11:45 AM for a noon game.

bpe3
bpe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #13
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

We should borrow the Coogs siren (the blaze) they use after touchdowns.... and give a warning shot at a certain time to the parking lots to start breaking it down and get inside!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #14
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 57304 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's my suggestion: All parking lots should have a $20 surcharge for each vehicle arriving after 11:45 AM for a noon game.
No, I don't think the answer is charging more money.

Look, like it or not, you're not going to get everybody to do what you want them to do. This isn't any different than telling people to wear white for Liberty White day. Everybody's not going to do it no matter what.

People are going to get there when they want to get there, period. You're not going to make them get there any earlier or later if that's not what they want to do. I do it like I do because I'm there to see my Texans. Yes, the tailgating is the bomb, but the game is top priority to me. We have a schedule that gets us to our seats on time and we pretty much stick to it. That's all it takes.

Now that said, the Astros have many, many promotional dates throughout the year where if they're not giving away bobble heads, they're giving away caps, or umbrellas, or backpacks or whatever. If you want people inside early, have give aways like that. Either have it for the 1st 40,000 or cut the give away off at 11:30 or something like that. I can promise you, bobble heads will have people busting the gates down when they open at 10:30.

I also think things would move a little faster than they do if they'd scrap that stupid pat down crap they do. Barely touching my jersey does nothing. I'm all for safety inside the stadium, but if anybody thinks these pat downs are doing anything more than causing a traffic jam, you're delusional. A total waste of time and manpower.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #15
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 926 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

"Quote"
I also think things would move a little faster than they do if they'd scrap that stupid pat down crap they do. Barely touching my jersey does nothing. I'm all for safety inside the stadium, but if anybody thinks these pat downs are doing anything more than causing a traffic jam, you're delusional. A total waste of time and manpower.

I'm with Speedy on this one too. We laugh knowing, that the off duty OFFICER that is entering the stadium behind us packing his weapon and walks right through undetected, but the yellow jacket pulls me out of line to find a screw driver to disassemble the Texans stuffed dog I carry in every game PURCHASED in 02, IN the stadium. Yes I know some stupid fool could put something inside the stuffed dog. . .but really, the fire arm would have me a little more concerned.

Old 07-21-2008   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, but I don't see the tailgaters as the late arrivals. Generally speaking, the tailgaters are the hardcore fans and are fairly disciplined as to what time to start breaking things down.

It's the folks pulling into the lots at 11:20 to 11:30 when our tailgate is already broken down and we are heading in. Ya know how you have to stand there and wait on the cops to stop incoming traffic so you can cross the drive?? They're the late arrivals.
Old 07-21-2008   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

we play so many noon games I assume the Church crowd is the crowd that tends to come in late. With games filled with so many corporate seats we have a ton of casual fans attending and most of them are straight up family types....most go to Church I assume. I wonder what the kick off capacity is when we aren't playing at noon and I wonder if they are tracking this kind of thing?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #18
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 9716 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Although I agree with Whiskeyrbl that you might move the time up a bit. 11:15 should be ample time.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing that will truly guarantee that 99% of fans be in their seats at opening kickoff is for this team to win more than it loses. That is the nature of the Houston casual sports fan.

20,000 or so fanatics cannot fill the stadium. It is the casual crowd that needs to be motivated, and winning is the only thing that will motivate them. That, my friends, is just the way it is in Houston, Texas.
Old 07-21-2008   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 133685 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't like having a Vinny and a Vinnie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read