Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 07-16-2008   #1
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer
Default Tailgating Hours Changed

Got my tickets yesterday. Also got the Fans Guideline Magazine with the rules. Sorry if this is discussed elswhere, but did anyone else notice the Texans are making us leave an hour early this year?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it now states "you may tailgate up to one hour after the game ends."
It used to be two hours, right?
They charge us $8.00 for a beer, and they cut back on paying for security by an hour? Me and my buds like to stay to the bitter end of any game, and if we do that, it then takes 20 to 25 minutes to make it to the car, then we usually listen to the post game and talk over the game. Now, we barely have time to pack up and vamoose.
Does this upset anyone else? Then let them know. Get in touch with Jamey Rootes, and let them know that we noticed.
Old 07-16-2008   #2
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14
Default Re: Tailgating Hours Changed

I didnt really read it, but I definitely like to to stay a long time after the game, cutting that time down stinks!
Old 07-16-2008   #3
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

I read that as well, but I don't worry about that. I can say that we have stayed much longer than the time allowed many, many times.
So don't sweat it......unless the police in your area are jerks..
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #4
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems that we discuss this every year and very little has ever come from it.
Old 07-16-2008   #5
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
I read that as well, but I don't worry about that. I can say that we have stayed much longer than the time allowed many, many times.
So don't sweat it......unless the police in your area are jerks..
You are right, Hobie. We have stayed late sometimes too, but normally the cops come around at 5pm, telling us to go.
I'd hate for that to start at 4pm now.
Old 07-16-2008   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Flash View Post
You are right, Hobie. We have stayed late sometimes too, but normally the cops come around at 5pm, telling us to go.
I'd hate for that to start at 4pm now.
Write the Texans and tell them how you feel if enough people up rise they just may change it back.
Old 07-16-2008   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

We always stay until 5:00, as well, or until the golf cart cop asks us to vacate (usually after 5:00).

Heck, we're barely just getting to our tailgate to fire up the grill by 4:00, especially after a win!

I think we should expect business as usual, and then raise a stink if they enforce the one-hour rule.
Old 07-16-2008   #8
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Thumbs up Re: Tailgating Hours Changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I think we should expect business as usual, and then raise a stink if they enforce the one-hour rule.
This sounds like a good course of action.
Old 07-16-2008   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
That is what should be done.
Old 07-16-2008   #10
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We always stay until 5:00, as well, or until the golf cart cop asks us to vacate (usually after 5:00).

Heck, we're barely just getting to our tailgate to fire up the grill by 4:00, especially after a win!

IIRC, I think this came up last year as it was in the '07 fan guide as well. I think it was decided it was worded like that for some sort of legalities or something, maybe a guideline so as to be able to move out the unruly ones if need be or something to that effect.

I can guarantee, in the 60 tailgates I've been to, I've never been out of there in less than 2 hours after the game.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our FO has been very good about responding to the concerns of fans. I feel confident that they would consider changing policy if enough of us make a fuss about something.

I just wish enough yellow lotters would request an earlier gate opening time!
Old 07-16-2008   #12
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our FO has been very good about responding to the concerns of fans. I feel confident that they would consider changing policy if enough of us make a fuss about something.

I just wish enough yellow lotters would request an earlier gate opening time!

Right there with ya on that,but all lots to open earlier, but then that would cost more to do that. Gate keepers would need to be there a hour early, law enforcement, yellow vests, and I am sure other behind the scene people would as well. And for the cost of that, then our parking passes would most likely be increased.
We just start ours a little early outside the gate...
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #13
bpe3
Veteran

Rep Power: 352 bpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respected

I went ahead and set the following email to a certain Texans executive:

I was just reading through this year's fan guide. It looks like there's been a change to the after game tailgating schedule. Starting this year, Texans fans will have only 60 minutes to exit Reliant Park after the end of the game. I can't even begin to express what a terrible idea you've come up with.

Benefits

1. Save a few dollars on security salaries. Certainly a drop in the bucket for a franchise with estimated operating profit of over $50 million per year.

Costs

1. Increased traffic congestion for Texans fans leaving Reliant Park. Fans hate traffic
2. More empty seats in the 4th quarter as more fans try to beat the traffic.
Don't we have enough empty seats already?
3. More drivers on the road under the influence of alcohol consumed in Reliant Stadium.
4. Increased potential liability for accidents caused by #3.
5. Less time for fans enjoy the very special camaraderie we all feel after a Texans win.
6. Lost brand building opportunity associated with #6.
7. Overall reduction in value for the Texans game day experience. We're paying for more than 60 minutes of football.

You guys are building something very special. Year by year, the Texans are becoming more a part of the fabric of life in this great city. Don't start running plays out of Bud Adams' playbook. You're better than that.
bpe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #14
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
[/b]

Right there with ya on that,but all lots to open earlier, but then that would cost more to do that. Gate keepers would need to be there a hour early, law enforcement, yellow vests, and I am sure other behind the scene people would as well. And for the cost of that, then our parking passes would most likely be increased.
We just start ours a little early outside the gate...
I seem to recall paying $15 per game for the yellow lot parking passes this year. How much more can they raise the cost? Don't answer that.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #15
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
I seem to recall paying $15 per game for the yellow lot parking passes this year. How much more can they raise the cost? Don't answer that.
Again, this has been brought up before in years past. They have never enforced it. Nothing to get aroused about. Move along.
Old 07-16-2008   #16
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpe3 View Post
You guys are building something very special. Year by year, the Texans are becoming more a part of the fabric of life in this great city. Don't start running plays out of Bud Adams' playbook. You're better than that.
A haiku:

Donít close the gate
Budís influence runs deep
Thereís still beer left
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #17
Tedc
Hardheaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
A haiku:

Donít close the gate
Budís influence runs deep
Thereís still beer left
You might want to save some of those beers. Your Haiku is just a little off.
Old 07-16-2008   #18
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
You might want to save some of those beers. Your Haiku is just a little off.
It can't be off, I'm using a handy dandy thingamajig

Oh well, here's another one that's probably wrong too:

Lazy Rent a Cop
Doesnít like to work past 5
Whereís the donuts
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #19
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

My advice would be to not draw attention to the 'rules' since there are some (including a few very important ones) that are not strictly enforced. But shine a light on 'em and you bet they'll get attention - all of them ... and maybe not in a way that benefits the tailgater. Most of us have been out there since '02 and it seems like the 'system' is working pretty much on auto pilot now - at least in Plat and Blue. I'd consider it a sleeping dog until it wakes up. Even under normal conditions it's almost impossible to get everyone out of the parking lots in an hour after the game.

Last edited by aj.; 07-16-2008 at 07:22 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #20
bpe3
Veteran

Rep Power: 352 bpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respected

It may not be a change from last year, but it's a change from some time ago. I know for fact that at one time the Texans printed marketing materials said that the cutoff was two hours. Now it says one one hour. That's a change.

You handle it your way, which is to do nothing. I'll handle it my way and do something. If there's a change in the rules, I want my grievance to be heard. If there's no change rules, I'm curious why the printed materials changed.

I want to know what to expect on game day.

bpe3
bpe3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read