Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-13-2008   #21
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Here's the real question for the off-season:

would you rather have: Salaam at LT, wearing blue and white

or

Duane Brown at LT, wearing red

or

a healthy Charles Spencer at LT, wearing bright yellow, with pink and purple pok-a-dots?
a healthy Spencer ...with Brown nipping at his heels so Spencer knows if he slips up, Brown will step in.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #22
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
it depends, would this LT match his teammate to his right? matching is very important in football.
well if we're talking about the O-line guys, they should be in the Steel Blue unis... any fashionista knows that dark blue is much more slimming than red.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #23
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Battle Red Baby!!!!!

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #24
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

I love me some red. Now if only more people would come dressed in red we might get some more of that intimidation factor.

And what's the deal with us wearing white all the time in the beginning of the season? i mean, I really like white on blue, but we've seen it like 10 times a season including preseason for the last three years. What's the deal?
Old 07-15-2008   #25
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i am constantly petitioning to try and get everyone to embrace the white top, blue pant "Texans" uniform.

i don't know how many times I've posted something like this:

we're not those teams, yet.

we've only been in the league for a few years. there are teams that have maintained a visual image for decades and if there is one thing that defines laughable expansion teams in the NFL it's loosing and no sense of identity, history or tradition. it's like a shiny new sportscar that's made out of fibreglass and gets a totally new body every 4 years. then there is the corvette. classic lines that can easily be identified. sure, subtle changes are made over the years but the identity of the car, the "look" of the car is maintained. you get where i'm going with that.

Lucky pointed out that even the "classic" teams have throwback uni's or special uni's of some sort but who thinks of the bears in their orange? or the packers in the yellow shouldered uni's? nobody. you associate "da' bears" with a certain look, "the pack" with a historic vision of championships in the frozen tundra of the 60's. Same pack today. The cowboys getting beat by the 49'rs in "the catch" is the same cowboys team that blew the win over the Seahawks on the extra point in the playoffs two years ago. the Seattle team that beat them, they wear seaweed leotards now.

I implore ya'll to be patient and embrace your Texans as they are, as they were the first regular season game where we defeated the cowboys in their funny blue "away" uniforms.
IMO, Dominant, and winning football defined those teams, and ingrained their images onto our national sports psyche, not the other way around...
Teams that have winning traditions like those teams, and mega fan bases, don't feel they need to add another jersey to generate additional revenue, so they are riding on the reputations they have built through WINNING, not through wardrobe.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #26
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Although I love Battle Red, I would like to see Blue Jerseys, and Blue Pants occasionaly.
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #27
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

My strongest feeling on this is that the Battle Red looks good and it works very well as an alternate color. Pulling it out for important games is very, very cool and in those small doses it seems to give the team and the fans a feeling that the intensity just went up a notch or so. That makes it a gimmick in my book and I don't think there's anything to be ashamed about where that is concerned. Every team in the NFL has it's gimmicks. The Cowboys used to do their little offensive line "group-set" thing and the Raiders used to sign crazy people that nobody wanted. The Steelers had their towels and everybody has throwback or alternate jerseys now. Gimmicks are fine as long as things don't get out of hand.

I like the red but you're not doing it any favors by swapping it with the Steel Blue and making it our regular jersey color.

First of all think about what you're getting when you do that. We wear white almost all the time. I'm so sick of wearing white at home and getting to see the Steel Blue only like 4 times a year (or something like that). It seems like we wear white too much in my opinion. So you take Blue out and put the Battle Red in and now you get a couple more games in the red BUT you're still spending the majority of your time wearing white.

What's the point? All you do is make the red less "special" and you're still seeing white all the time.

I'm old school. I can accept an alternate jersey color but for the most part I want to see 8 games in home uniforms and 8 games in away uniforms and that's that.
Old 07-15-2008   #28
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
IMO, Dominant, and winning football defined those teams, and ingrained their images onto our national sports psyche, not the other way around...
Teams that have winning traditions like those teams, and mega fan bases, don't feel they need to add another jersey to generate additional revenue, so they are riding on the reputations they have built through WINNING, not through wardrobe.
i was in no way suggesting that by wearing a certain color that we would develop a winning tradition. what are you smoking? i was talking about developing a national visual identity through consistency. there are winning football teams that have 7 different uniforms also, and i for one think those teams that i was talking about have a more storied tradition and a visual identity associated with there winning traditions than the teams that have won in the past and have gone the route of the new fad of stupid swooshy nonsense and red unitards.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #29
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i was in no way suggesting that by wearing a certain color that we would develop a winning tradition. what are you smoking? i was talking about developing a national visual identity through consistency. there are winning football teams that have 7 different uniforms also, and i for one think those teams that i was talking about have a more storied tradition and a visual identity associated with there winning traditions than the teams that have won in the past and have gone the route of the new fad of stupid swooshy nonsense and red unitards.
communists regularly endorse drab colors and are obsessed with simple, plain uniforms. Nobody should stand out, you know.

I don't know about this Barrett character: he wants plain, white uniforms, strict pay scales, and I'm pretty sure he's an atheist. Put that together and I smell a Marxist!

P.S. this is the same guy who refused to stand for the National Anthem last season. If memory serves!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #30
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52700 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
And what's the deal with us wearing white all the time in the beginning of the season? i mean, I really like white on blue, but we've seen it like 10 times a season including preseason for the last three years. What's the deal?
Not just 10 times a year. Try 13 last year and the year before, 14 the year before that.

In the 121 games the Texans have played, including pre-season, the Texans have worn the white jersey 78 times (64%). Blue shirts 35 times (29%). Red jerseys 8 times.

How about really being bored waiting for the season to start? Here are the Texans records in each jersey. Regular season only.

White - 16-42 .276 overall | 7-10 .412 home | 9-32 .220 road
Blue - 10-20 .333 overall | 7-16 .304 home | 3-4 .429 road
Red - 6-2 .750 overall | 6-2 .750 home

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #31
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
So, we just alternate Red & White at Home and switch to Blue on the Road!
Old 07-15-2008   #32
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

admittedly, i love zeppo. what a maroon!
Old 07-15-2008   #33
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Storied and winning traditions are created by guys with names like Butkus, Montana, Mean Joe Green, etc. NOT uniforms.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #34
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #35
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the all-blue is our best looking uniform. When they go red, I like the red jersey and white pant better than all red.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #36
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Storied and winning traditions are created by guys with names like Butkus, Montana, Mean Joe Green, etc. NOT uniforms.
what the hell is wrong with you? damn capitalists can't read to save their lives.
Old 07-15-2008   #37
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
I think the all-blue is our best looking uniform. When they go red, I like the red jersey and white pant better than all red.
I'd still like to see Red Jersey, BLUE pants just once...
Old 07-15-2008   #38
barrett
Hall of Fame

sadly, i'm sure you'll get your wish.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read