Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-11-2008   #1
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Favre Thread - Traded to Jets

Quote:
Three days after a conference call with Green Bay Packers team officials on Tuesday in which quarterback Brett Favre emphatically expressed his desire to play in 2008, Favre on Friday formally asked for his contractual release from the Packers in a letter, sources close to Favre and the team said.
Quote:
Cook's letter did suggest that Favre's accomplishments for the franchise merited the team honoring his request to be released, also asking that the action be taken "with no strings attached." Favre does not want to be traded, sources said, because he wants the freedom of choice to play for any other franchise.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521

So what do you do now if you're the Packers?
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #2
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Favre formally asks for release

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521

So what do you do now if you're the Packers?
Shut the franchise down....this has turned into a circus....enough already !!!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Retirement can't even save you from the Madden curse..........seriously this is getting unreal.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
Shut the franchise down....this has turned into a circus....enough already !!!
I'm beginning to agree!

The thing I truly don't understand is why would he want to play for another team. The odds are any team that would need his services likely sucks anyway.

IMO, the Vikings and Tampa would really be the only two he might be able to take deep in the PO's.
Old 07-11-2008   #5
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Titans and let Young sit on the bench another season.

Everyone gets a ring everyone is happy ... less the Texans.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #6
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post

But I thought VY was a winner and he could do it all by himself.
Actually VY is not a winner he is a
Old 07-11-2008   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Release for nothing? He is crazy.

If I were the GB brass I would give it to him in another four months - equitable in that he waited that long to change his mind. Moreover, I would put in conditions that the NFC is off-limits and perhaps even look who is in the AFC rotation for who the NFC North plays next year and not allow him to go to any of those teams either. Crazy is, as crazy does.

This is finance, not the warm and fuzzies anymore.
Old 07-11-2008   #8
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
But I thought VY was a winner and he could do it all by himself.
Actually VY is not a winner he is a
Those words have not come out of my mouth. I have said that the team wins with him but never him alone.

Come on you know if he came here you would shat a brick. That would also mean we had back to back Madden covers.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm beginning to agree!

The thing I truly don't understand is why would he want to play for another team. The odds are any team that would need his services likely sucks anyway.

IMO, the Vikings and Tampa would really be the only two he might be able to take deep in the PO's.
Chicago would make a lot of sense. If the defense can get healthy again and with the addition of Forte being able to run the ball effectively could get them back to the team they were when they made it to the SB. Brett Favre or ..... Rex Grossman? Not much there.

I feel for GB management. They can't keep dealing with the retirement question every year TC rolls around and rightfully feel the need to move on after what they felt was it. If they do grant him his release it looks very likely not only could he still be in the NFC but a division foe.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Release for nothing? He is crazy.

If I were the GB brass I would give it to him in another four months - equitable in that he waited that long to change his mind. Moreover, I would put in conditions that the NFC is off-limits and perhaps even look who is in the AFC rotation for who the NFC North plays next year and not allow him to go to any of those teams either. Crazy is, as crazy does.

This is finance, not the warm and fuzzies anymore.
So if it's finance, why do you keep him around until his 8-figure annual salary becomes guaranteed before you release him? Also, how do you propose getting him to agree to those conditions - what leverage do you have?
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Favre, but this is getting goofy.

And he's tempting fate! I know he probably hated to end his career on an INT, but at least retiring after an NFC Championship game is better than being forced to end your career because of injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post

yeah, that would be good for the confidence of a young QB. or maybe not...

But I wouldn't care if he was a Titan. Mario would probably find it easier to catch Favre than Young anyway.
Old 07-11-2008   #12
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I like Favre, but this is getting goofy.

And he's tempting fate! I know he probably hated to end his career on an INT, but at least retiring after an NFC Championship game is better than being forced to end your career because of injury.

But I wouldn't care if he was a Titan. Mario would probably find it easier to catch Favre than Young anyway.
QFT, all three points.

I just can't see him really going anywhere outside of his division where his services would be an upgrade AND he would be playing on a contender. Minnesota, Chicago.... maybe Carolina but do you really think Delhomme is going to sit quietly on the bench?

I dunno. This whole deal is a mess. I wish he'd just sit down and not pull a Johnny Unitas / Joe Namath / Joe Montana.
Old 07-11-2008   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So if it's finance, why do you keep him around until his 8-figure annual salary becomes guaranteed before you release him? Also, how do you propose getting him to agree to those conditions - what leverage do you have?
His 11.4 salary cap number is off the books regardless as of April when he went on the reserve-retirement list. He has no leverage and stated what he wants. The entity who controls his rights now has all the leverage by granting the unconditional release under x, y, z, especially in the court of public opinion.

Favre's agent still has not requested for him to be re-instated with the NFL office. That is why I would act fast and have an equitable offer on the table. If he gets re-instated then the Packers I believe would have to assume the salary cap hit, but then what kind of value is that to any of them in a trade as no one will assume that contract and we will back to where we were a few months ago and Favre goes down in history with a somewhat less shiny reputation.

Last edited by Kaiser Toro; 07-11-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #14
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 612 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

If I am Packer fan and they won't let him come back I am FURIOUS!!!
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #15
c5demon
Rookie

Any chance we can bring him here and split downs with Matt? It would cause HAVOC on opposing defense.Ticket sales would go thru the roof!
c5demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If I'm the Pack, I bring him back and make him hold a clipboard and teach Rodgers. If he can't handle that, he can stay in Mississippi.
Old 07-11-2008   #17
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

What he really just needs to do is just sit his ass down somewhere. i mean damn i'm so sick of watching NFLTA & them asking every single guest if they think favre is coming back..... & then digging for any little source & trying to make a story out of it. "this it what favre's barber had to say......"
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5demon View Post
Any chance we can bring him here and split downs with Matt? It would cause HAVOC on opposing defense.Ticket sales would go thru the roof!
Ticket scalping would go though the roof as ticket sales are fine. It would increase our cap and cause disharmony in the locker room.
Old 07-11-2008   #19
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
If I'm the Pack, I bring him back and make him hold a clipboard and teach Rodgers. If he can't handle that, he can stay in Mississippi.
That's what i think needs to happen, there's just the little matter of 12 million dollars for a back up Qb issue....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Signing Bonuses to be repaid and such. Hit him in the wallet. The guy has serious issues.

My spideysense says he's going to get hurt this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read