Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-16-2004   #21
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda
maybe its a bit to early for all of this draft talk. i was kinda wanting some opinions...

and i will freely say i have no idea who will be available in free agency. needless to say that has a huge impact on who we draft
It's supposed to be a weak crop of TE's in the draft this year. That being said, I think Indy will let Marcus Pollard go. So there's one FA tight end, more than likely.

I am done with O-linemen in FA. Draft a OL high this year. If you think the weakness is inside then maybe someone like David Baas (C/G). http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/pla...davidbaas.html
I have no idea what we are going to do about LT, but it's a problem.

The weak link on the DL is Walker, but he has a large contract. Marcus Spears seems like a great pick, but then we would pretty much just eat the Walker contract.

Too many problems. If we can trade down, get extra picks, and still get who we want, then I'm all for it.
Old 12-16-2004   #22
astrofan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
The draft info came from researching drafthistory.com. The status of the players came from NFL.com.

The franchise tag for o-linemen (average salary of the top 5) was about $7 million.

The transition tag for o-linemen (average salary of the top 10) was about $6 million.

I don't think a team can go into a draft and have decisions influenced by what player may be in the draft the following year. They have to take the best player for their team now.
thanks for the resources, man

as far as drafting philosophy goes, that was just me speaking as a fan
Loper is still better than Ferguson or Barron

if we drafted Dylan Gandy on DayTwo after getting Baas DayOne we could leave David at guard...
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
The weak link on the DL is Walker, but he has a large contract. Marcus Spears seems like a great pick, but then we would pretty much just eat the Walker contract.
Walker is definitely not playing up to his contract, BUT he is exactly the kind of player that I can see responding very well to being challenged for his position by a rookie.
Old 12-16-2004   #24
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

i give up.

guess i'll go back to being mute.
Old 12-16-2004   #25
Mistril48
All Pro

Where is Ahmad Brooks?
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #26
texansfan88
All Pro

Ahmad is staying via his lips to his phone through a cell phone connection to me this past tuesday, but word has already gotten around about it..

Any other questions about who's thinking of declaring or anything else draft related let me know

www.insidetheleague.com
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #27
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
Ahmad is staying ...
I'm surprised that he's just disappeared off the GBN 2 round draft. I thought Brooks was projected as a possible top 10 pick and that it's not uncommon for players who are in this position to change their minds and come out. Just a thought.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2004   #28
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
I'm surprised that he's just disappeared off the GBN 2 round draft. I thought Brooks was projected as a possible top 10 pick and that it's not uncommon for players who are in this position to change their minds and come out. Just a thought.
thats a good point Mistril48, possible oversight since he's still rated as the 13th overall best prospect regardless of team needs. the only thing holding him back evidently is Derrick Johnson the #1 rated linebacker in the draft. the money differential is sizeable between a top 10 pick & a top 20 pick, also Chowder is seriously considering coming out early.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I can't see us passing Rolle if he fell to us. Dunta, Rolle and Glenn would make a serious trio to cover the Manning boys or any team with a good 3 wr set. Under this scenario, Winston Justice looks good in the second round if we are going to address the LT.

Not to mention the fact that Glenn is gettin up there in years , I dont see passing Rolle either.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read