Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-08-2008   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Working Towards Less Injuries in '08

Good article from the main site:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4396

Quote:
“I think a lot of our injuries came in the past from just how much we’re pushing each other, if that makes sense,” Kubiak said. “We weren’t a very good football team when we got started (in 2006). We had to really grind and push each other and battle on a daily basis to try to take some steps forward. I think we’ve done that. We’re a more athletic football team now. Our roster is better. I think we practice better. We stay off the ground. We protect each other better.

I think we all know how key its going to be to avoid the big injuries that have hit us in recent years. I think its time we got some good breaks (not literally of course) and maybe some of the other teams in the division lose their best players instead of us. Not wishing that of course... but if its gotta happen to someone then no one deserves to miss out on that more than us!

Injury Watch List (noted in article):

Demeco Ryans - Knee injury last year...played through it. Will be 100%
Andre Johnson - Should be at 100% by training camp after knee scoped (everyone will be keeping an eye on this one).
Matt Schaub - Looking good now, but still waiting to see reaction to physical contact on shoulder.
Ahman Green - Looking great now, but injury history lately is a concern.
Charles Spencer - Biggest question mark, injury still a huge concern and could be eventually cut.
Fred Weary - Work to do but working hard to get back starting role.
Anthony Weaver - Said feels better than he has in a long time and predicts huge year.
Chris Taylor - At 100% after season ending surgery last year.
Jacoby Jones - Slowed by Shoulder in rookie season, should be 100%
Brandon Harrison - At 100% heading into camp after Hamstring injury.
Glenn Earl - At 100% after season ending surgery last year.

Last edited by Tailgate; 07-08-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Working Towards Less Injuries in '08

Well the depth of the team will allow for others to be able to not have to take so many reps that we will not be able to have back. If that makes any sense.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #3
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Well the depth of the team will allow for others to be able to not have to take so many reps that we will not be able to have back. If that makes any sense.
It does... and for example when we lost linemen in the past we tried to patchwork to get by and we had players out of position which made things even worse. Depth has definitely improved.

But injuries like the ones to Dunta, Spencer, AJ, etc... were just forces of BAD FRICKING LUCK. I think we have paid our dues in that department (knock on wood).
Old 07-08-2008   #4
Ghetto D
Rookie

I, for one, am glad to see SOME rational thought being put toward injuries. If it is just as simple as not going at each other so hard in practice - that works for me. In fact, I've heard people say that the reason Marty Schottenheimer's (sp?) teams would wear down was due to practicing too hard in camp and during the season.

I agree we SEEM to be unlucky compared to other teams, but maybe taking this approach will help us create our own luck.
Ghetto D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #5
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I really don't think that quote from Kubiak is anything substantive. The injuries to our main guys (ie. Dunta, Schaub, AJ) last season weren't anything that could have been prevented by different practice techniques. It was simply freak occurences on the field. Maybe some of the other lesser guys' injuries are more preventitive, but a dislocated shoulder and a couple of twisted knees are pretty irrelevent to practice.

But you might be right about other teams getting their turn. I think the Colts are supposed to start camp with Sanders, Harrison, and Freeney all on PUP.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

\I look for the Texans to have less injuries than they did last year. But if not, they have some pretty good back ups at virtually every position on the field. I do agree with having a little softer practice but not so much to where the team isn't ready to go at kickoff time on game day. I'm sure NE has a tough practice everyday and that's how they got to where they are today so let's not soften up practice too much if they do soften it up at all. If a NE player gets hurt in practice then the coaching staff basically sticks a replacement player in their spot and goes about the teams business and I'm hoping that with the back ups that we have on our roster right now that we will be able to do the samething that NE has done over the next few years. I'm really ecstatic about the great young talent that we have on our team at almost every level and look for them to make their first real playoff push this season. Hopefully, we will stay healthy this season. I'm really excited about this football team and the direction that they are headed in. GO TEXANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by gary; 07-08-2008 at 05:04 PM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
\I look for the Texans to have less injuries than they did last year. But if not, they have some pretty good back ups at virtually every position on the field. I do agree with having a little softer practice but not so much to where the team isn't ready to go at kickoff time on game day. I'm sure NE has a tough practice everyday and that's how they got to where they are today so let's not soften up practice too much if they do soften it up at all. If a NE player gets hurt in practice then the coaching staff basically sticks a replacement player in their spot and goes about the teams business and I'm hoping that with the back ups that we have on our roster right now that we will be able to do the samething that NE has done over the next few years. I'm really estatic about the great young talent that we have on our team at almost every level and look for them to make their first real playoff push this season. Hopefully we will stay healthy this season. I'm really excited about this football team and the direction that they are headed in. GO TEXANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice post Gary. + Rep

*edit: Imagine that, I have to spread the rep around. Geez, can somebady hit Gary up with some + Rep please.
Old 07-08-2008   #8
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Nice post Gary. + Rep

*edit: Imagine that, I have to spread the rep around. Geez, can somebady hit Gary up with some + Rep please.
Thank you.
Old 07-08-2008   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice post Gary. + Rep

*ditto here*
Old 07-08-2008   #10
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

I can go with what coach KUbiak said. He started out with a not at all athletic football team and has finally built it up to where we are competitive athletically speaking with any team in the league. Pushing too hard to make up for inadequacies is a sure sign of injuries to be. We really need to get out of the gate at a fast gallop this year, because it don't get any easier. As they say in the S.E.A.L.S., "the only easy day was yesterday".!
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #11
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice post Gary. + Rep

Must spread rep.......
dc_txtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I can go with what coach KUbiak said. He started out with a not at all athletic football team and has finally built it up to where we are competitive athletically speaking with any team in the league. Pushing too hard to make up for inadequacies is a sure sign of injuries to be. We really need to get out of the gate at a fast gallop this year, because it don't get any easier. As they say in the S.E.A.L.S., "the only easy day was yesterday".!
Like I said soften the practice up some but not a whole lot.
Old 07-08-2008   #13
whiskeyrbl

I've was starting to wonder if it was our medical staff doing a poor job. Seems like we started the last couple of years already decemated on depth due to injuries in camp. And most were the lil' nagging ones that seemed to hang around all year.
Old 07-08-2008   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
I've was starting to wonder if it was our medical staff doing a poor job. Seems like we started the last couple of years already decemated on depth due to injuries in camp. And most were the lil' nagging ones that seemed to hang around all year.
Good point.
Old 07-08-2008   #15
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Heres a boring video on Fred Wearys comeback effort posted on Texans tv. Looks like he is getting his football strength back. It does at least show an in depth approach to what these guys are doing in the gym on a daily basis. Kinda hard not to appreciate the hard work our guys are putting in to get this team where we all want it to be. You can't blame the injuries on lack of effort...

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/
Old 07-08-2008   #16
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i don't get it, how do you work towards less injuries? you would think someone would have figured that out a long time ago
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Heres a boring video on Fred Wearys comeback effort posted on Texans tv. Looks like he is getting his football strength back. It does at least show an in depth approach to what these guys are doing in the gym on a daily basis. Kinda hard not to appreciate the hard work our guys are putting in to get this team where we all want it to be. You can't blame the injuries on lack of effort...

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/
Hopefully those workouts will make the whole OL better and stronger. Building up those trunk leg and hip muscles should really help his blocking power. He could also use his big arms to help get in the face of the D player. Fred has really turned into a key part of the OL and gives MS the blocking that he needs along with the other OL members to allow MS lots of time to step up in the pocket and make that big time TD pass down the middle of the field to AJ.

Last edited by gary; 07-08-2008 at 07:43 PM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #18
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice post Gary. + Rep

Done

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #19
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Done
Thank you for the rep.
Old 07-08-2008   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
But injuries like the ones to Dunta, Spencer, AJ, etc... were just forces of BAD FRICKING LUCK. I think we have paid our dues in that department (knock on wood).

There's a line in the movie FIDDLER ON THE ROOF........"I know, G-d, we are the chosen people, but do you think you could choose someone else for once".................my addendum would be " could you consider America's team????.............
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read