Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-08-2008   #41
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Darius Walker?

i think taylor is the favorite to make it through camp based on what the coaches have said and seen. we are a bunch of boobs basing our opinions on virtually no information at all. the coaches have never been very warm and fuzzy in regards to Walker whereas Taylor has always been in the huggy, yummy goody goody bin but, i will say this, Kubiak has made it pretty clear over the past few seasons that the team will have little to no patience when it comes to injuries. Davis, Payne, Weary, Spencer, McKinney etc. (hell, even Dunta at this point) if you're hurt you are bumped to the bottom of the depth chart. It's you're job to get healthy and make it back. So, with that said, it's probably true that Taylor sits at the bottom where he'll have to out perform Walker to make the team but that seems like a pretty likely scenario based on what the coaches have given us to make gross assumptions with.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #42
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Walker is a good footballplayer, that is it. He is not the fastest, nor the strongest or the greatest at anyone thing. with that said he is a football player. He is the type of back the works well in a zone system the one cut and go type of back. He is capable in pass protection and catching passes out of the backfield.

Everyone wants to knock him out of the picture, but until Taylor actually does something on the field i am not going to. Everything that needs to be done in a zone scheme he can do, he will not wow you but on this team he can be that 4th RB that we need.
I agree with this 100%. Can we possibly keep someone in the backfield that is young and healthy? Ahman Green was a mistake for the Texans from the start.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #43
whiskeyrbl

I just hope they all come out of camp healthy so the coaches have a hard decision. Someone earlier had said Slaton is guaranteed a spot. I remember Kubes saying he didn't care how much you made or who you were, who ever earned the job is who gets the job.
Old 07-08-2008   #44
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116441 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

It's kind of funny to read these post; Green is our number 1 back IF he makes the team. The common theme of it all is one or done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Walker is not eligible for the PS.......
Walker was not on the active roster for nine games last year and so is still PS eligible.
Old 07-08-2008   #46
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

With Gibbs and Kubiak trying to replicate the success they have had in the past coupled with Green and Brown (two talented, but maligned players) they need able bodies and patienty focused minds in the backfield. Just like post Terrell Davis - the expectation is that anyone called upon has to deliver or else the next guy will.

Walker and Taylor are two guys that know the system, have been trained to execute accrodingly and in some way will have a roster spot or be reserved in some form (perhaps he still has PS capability due to being out for most of last year).

Of course that is my opinion and it usually sticks to me.

17 days until training camp.
Old 07-08-2008   #47
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Walker was not on the active roster for nine games last year and so is still PS eligible.
Yep.

Just for clarification PS does not hold a player (as my post above may imply) as they can still be picked up by another team, with few restrictions.

PS guidelines - http://www.nflplayers.com/user/templ...pid=676&type=c
Old 07-08-2008   #48
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
I just hope they all come out of camp healthy so the coaches have a hard decision. Someone earlier had said Slaton is guaranteed a spot. I remember Kubes saying he didn't care how much you made or who you were, who ever earned the job is who gets the job.
That evidently goes for everyone except MS.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #49
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I stand corrected....Thank you.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #50
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

What Walker showed last year was pretty good vision for finding the hole, a little below average speed and way below average power. He got exactly what the offensive line gave him, nothing more and nothing less. The first guy to touch him with more than a simple arm tackle brought him down every time, and some arm tackles brought him down too.

IMHO, Walker is bound for the practice squad unless another RB gets injured. That is assuming that Kubiak decides to carry 4 RB's on the 53 man roster. If Kubiak only carries 3 RB's (which is what he usually does), then Walker will need two guys to get hurt.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #51
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
you don't draft an RB in the 3rd round to cut him before the season starts... come on, now.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #52
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
What Walker showed last year was pretty good vision for finding the hole, a little below average speed and way below average power. He got exactly what the offensive line gave him, nothing more and nothing less. The first guy to touch him with more than a simple arm tackle brought him down every time, and some arm tackles brought him down too.

IMHO, Walker is bound for the practice squad unless another RB gets injured. That is assuming that Kubiak decides to carry 4 RB's on the 53 man roster. If Kubiak only carries 3 RB's (which is what he usually does), then Walker will need two guys to get hurt.
agreed... walker is just not that great a back. i don't think he makes the cut unless there's an injury before the season starts... which is likely :/

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #53
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Can Walker work on his stiff arm and breaking tackales? I think if he does he could be a decent back.

Last edited by gary; 07-08-2008 at 11:31 AM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #54
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Ah gotcha. I suppose you meant Slaton in the top quote then.

I agree with you on most all accounts except I tend to give Taylor the nod over Walker. Why? I dunno, but I've seen what Walker can do and came away unimpressed. From what little I've seen of Taylor his burst was more noticable than Walker's. I think his speed and untapped potential might give him the nod over Walker. Unlike what someone previously posted.
Actually, I meant Taylor in the top quote because Taylor is the guy that Walker has to stay ahead of. He can't beat out Slaton for a spot. But to get the 4th spot, he has to make sure to do better than Taylor.

I just think that Walker has proven more so far than Taylor has. I think he has the edge on that 4th spot because he's seen more action than Taylor has AND he hasn't been shown to be a fumbler. Taylor may be more talented but I think he has farther to go to prove to Kubes that he's ready.

But I think it's close.

And, heck, I thought Curome Cox wasn't going to get cut early because of his ST work last year and I wuz worng about that.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #55
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was just about to ask that.

Wouldn't you think that Walker would be more likely to make it thru waivers than Slaton and therefore be stashed on the P/S as insurance?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #56
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Wouldn't you think that Walker would be more likely to make it thru waivers than Slaton and therefore be stashed on the P/S as insurance?
There isn't a snowballs chance in Iraq that they waive Slaton to try to get him to the PS. Walker would have a good shot at clearing waivers.
Old 07-08-2008   #57
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I was just about to ask that.

The only way Slaton makes it through waivers is if something goes terribly wrong with him/his play. By that I mean, he's nowhere near the performance level we thought he was at, other teams work him out and realize they can't make their team either... so that's doubtful.

I think Denver could pick up Walker to have as depth. I think if they want to do that we have the first right to say we want walker, but then we'd have to put him on our active roster.

I'll repeat myself by saying Walker is more of a known commodity, he's played in games last year and performed well. Teams are more willing to look at a player that has performed than not. I still think Taylor has the best chance of not getting picked up by another team (all else equal). He's coming off injury and nobody's seen him play- he's a huge unknown. Can't wait to see what happens though.

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 07-08-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #58
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
He's coming off injury and nobody's seen him play- he's a huge unknown.
You make it seem like one guy had tons of carries and the other none. Taylor has started 1 game and had 28 carries. Walker started 2 games and had 58 carries. Neither has proven anything in the NFL yet. FYI--take out the coasting Jags game and Walker's ypc drops to a very pedestrian 3.7 ypc.
Old 07-08-2008   #59
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You make it seem like one guy had tons of carries and the other none. Taylor has started 1 game and had 28 carries. Walker started 2 games and had 58 carries. Neither has proven anything in the NFL yet. FYI--take out the coasting Jags game and Walker's ypc drops to a very pedestrian 3.7 ypc.
I'm not trying to make it sound like that, sorry if it came out that way. You bring up their starts, but I'm not really concerned about that as I don't think any team in the league will be looking to add these guys as starters.

Walker played in 4 games LAST season and against 4 different defenses. In those games he had 16,13,19,10 carries and 6,1,6,0 receptions.

Taylor on the other hand played in 0 games LAST season and 2 games in 2006. In those games he had 8,20 carries and 2,1 reception.

You say take out Walker's 'coasting' Jags game and it would bring his yards per carry to a very pedestrian 3.7.

If you do that... why not take out Taylor's game against Cleveland since it was a meaningless game in Week 17??? Cleveland won 4 games that year and we beat them for our astonishing 6th win. You do that and he has 8 carries averaging 3.0 yards per carry for his Career (1 game 18 months ago pre injury/surgery). Quite pedestrian itself, don't you think?

Now, I must make it clear that I'm not saying Walker > Taylor... I'm strictly saying there is more information on Walker to look at, and recent. Both these guys would be back ups, so I look at the games they play in + teams can see how Walker ran against TB, DEN, IND, and JAX vs. Taylor running against IND and CLE.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #60
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
There isn't a snowballs chance in Iraq that they waive Slaton to try to get him to the PS. Walker would have a good shot at clearing waivers.
Which means.....

nobody else wants him, why should we care so much about him??

Not aiming this at you 'cak, but to the DW fan club.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read