Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-07-2008   #1
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Favre to the Texans (among others)?

i know, i know. its speculation, but this ESPN writer lays out possible non-Packer Favre scenarios and Houston is listed as a sleeper. Thought people would be interested in the article to help pass the offseason. After all, with all this Favre talk ESPN has turned into the Favre-RedSox-Yankees network 24/7.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ill&id=3474482

I would have no problem with the Texans going after Favre but it probably wouldn't do much for Schaub's confidence or Rosenfels level of patience. I gotta admit I would probably be first in line for a #4 Favre Texans jersey......

I hope the Pack deny Favre and he then suits up for the Vikings and trots out of the visitor tunnel in Lambeau opening night on Monday Night Football....boy that would be high drama. Booed? Cheered? Suicide watch for fans? who knows.
Old 07-07-2008   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Favre to the Texans (link)?

Old 07-07-2008   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Favre to the Texans (among others)?

This belongs in the NFL thread. Actually, Fantasy Island...but I don't have the required access that forum.
Old 07-07-2008   #4
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

If I am Packer fan and the team doesn't let him come back...I am BENT.

As for here, as much as we'd all love it we got 2 capable QBs. Why cause stress on our team?
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Won't happen but I don't see how any Houston fan could be against it if Farve would actually come here. He had an MVP type of season last year and lead his team to the AFC championship. I get goose bumps just thinking of what Farve could do with Andre Johnson. He's never had a WR like that ever, and Farve was all disappointed because the Pack wouldn't get Moss. I think that Johnson would be a nice 2nd prize.

That would seriously be something that Texans fans could get excited for. If Farve would do that, then I'd have no problem saying the hell with Shaub and Rosenfels for a year or so.

Again, great dreams and all but we live in a world of REALITY.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101624 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
What he said ^^^^
Old 07-07-2008   #7
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

i'm not gonna lie.......................I thought about this as soon as i heard the packers didn't want favre............................it won't happen just, because good things like that don't happen to our city, but if it did I would turn into the boards #1 Texans fan and would trade in my VY avatar for Favre in battle red..........
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2008   #8
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
I gotta admit I would probably be first in line for a #4 Favre Texans jersey......
first............................................. ......after me.
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #9
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

im just linking stories, people. no need to be all frownfaced about it. i just thought yall would be interested that this hack thinks Houston would be a good fit and a possible sleeper in the mythical Favre sweepstakes. it's not as if its gonna happen. we already have one unhappy QB (sage) why add another (schaub)? not to mention, favre throws a lot of picks. that may fly in the lame NFC North but if you do that in the AFC South, you lose....just ask that pansy David Carr.
Old 07-07-2008   #10
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
i'm not gonna lie.......................I thought about this as soon as i heard the packers didn't want favre............................it won't happen just, because good things like that don't happen to our city, but if it did I would turn into the boards #1 Texans fan and would trade in my VY avatar for Favre in battle red..........

It's not going to happen though.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

With all due respect to the Legend, I don't see him being that big of an upgrade in this system over Schaub & Sage.

With that said, I may buy a personalized Favre #4 Texans jersey anyway
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #12
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this in the Bring Back Brett!!!! thread a few days ago.

Still feel the same about him and his show. No to Houston. I would be upset if he was brought here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #13
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

With A. Green as RB - golly, it'd be just like the good 'ol days.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
im just linking stories, people. no need to be all frownfaced about it. i just thought yall would be interested that this hack thinks Houston would be a good fit and a possible sleeper in the mythical Favre sweepstakes.
Since he mentions every possible team, it's a NFL thread. I don't know who Bill Williamson is, or if he's earned "hack" status, but he was likely told by ESPN to come up with this Favre piece. That he would include the Texans as a sleeper team in the potential Favre sweepstakes show how little he knows about this team.

How I look at the situation, the only good fit for Favre outside of Green Bay is the other Bay, in Tampa. Tampa Bay's Head Coach Jon Gruden was an assistant in Green Bay for 5 seasons in the '90s, the Bucs run a familiar WCO, they were a playoff team last season, and it's a short plane ride to Mississippi. Not to mention last year's starting QB, Jeff Garcia, is threatening a holdout. I think Gruden is just desperate enough to make this happen.
Old 07-07-2008   #15
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
With A. Green as RB - golly, it'd be just like the good 'ol days.
I wonder if we can get Sherman to come back too.

What's Mark Chmura up to these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Won't happen but I don't see how any Houston fan could be against it if Farve would actually come here. He had an MVP type of season last year and lead his team to the AFC championship. I get goose bumps just thinking of what Farve could do with Andre Johnson. He's never had a WR like that ever, and Farve was all disappointed because the Pack wouldn't get Moss. I think that Johnson would be a nice 2nd prize.

That would seriously be something that Texans fans could get excited for. If Farve would do that, then I'd have no problem saying the hell with Shaub and Rosenfels for a year or so.

I'd be against it. I'd be vocally and angrily against it.

Now we know this has no chance of happening and that this entire thread is nothing more than off-season mental masturbation for bored fans but I absolutely, under no circumstances would want to begin a one or two year circus of "Brett Favre, Houston Texan". He's a great player and a great Packer but he doesn't play QB in a vacum and he would not put up anywhere near the numbers here in Houston that he did in Green Bay. No way in hell. He's going to come down here and work with a bunch of new people in a different offense, and for different coaches and try to adjust to all of it? I don't think so and even if he does and gives it everything he has he's going to dissappoint.

Then you have to wonder if he comes back for a second season but now he's what? A 19 year veteran or something like that? The guy would be a sideshow and a distraction and it would damage team chemistry badly to bring him and suddenly make this entire organization that was all about coming from 2-15, to 6-10, to 8-8, and headed for it's first winning season secondary to the Brett Favre show and one man.

his isn't Brett's team and it isn't going to become his team in one or two years. Sure he's a better QB than either guy we have now. There's no denying that. Dan Marino was a great QB but had no rings. Lots of great QB's end without rings. Teams win rings not just great QB's The Texans are building towards something and adding a huge legend like Brett Favre in the twilight of his career would risk derailing that.
Old 07-07-2008   #17
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

Speaking for yourself, of course!
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #18
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would a QB as legendary as Brett come to the Texans to be the backup?

Uh no.....
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #19
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Since he mentions every possible team, it's a NFL thread. I don't know who Bill Williamson is, or if he's earned "hack" status, but he was likely told by ESPN to come up with this Favre piece. That he would include the Texans as a sleeper team in the potential Favre sweepstakes show how little he knows about this team.

How I look at the situation, the only good fit for Favre outside of Green Bay is the other Bay, in Tampa. Tampa Bay's Head Coach Jon Gruden was an assistant in Green Bay for 5 seasons in the '90s, the Bucs run a familiar WCO, they were a playoff team last season, and it's a short plane ride to Mississippi. Not to mention last year's starting QB, Jeff Garcia, is threatening a holdout. I think Gruden is just desperate enough to make this happen.
I'm curious, with Childress's ties back to Reid, and Reid's ties back to Holmgren (and Favre), what makes you think Minny wouldn't be a good fit?

The fact that they play in a dome (where Favre has historically sucked) might be offset by the fact that all he'd have to do is be better than Tarvaris Jackson. And then there's that whole playing GB twice a year thing.

On another note, considering Brett Favre came to the NFL in 1992, has been a 3-time MVP, and has had the difference between the spelling and the pronunciation of his name pointed out by Ben Stiller in a major motion picture (not to mention by Tags on draft day), shouldn't those who still can't/won't spell his name correctly be subject to some horrible fate?
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #20
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I respect Favre and appreciate his play, but I don't want him here. As stated more ably by posters above, Favre's presence would turn our steady building project into a circus side-show.

Plus, I doubt the Packers--who still hold his rights--would want to trade him to us for the simple reason that we're coming to Lambeau this year. No way do they want him wearing opposing colors in front of the home fans. Of course, that logic eliminates a couple of other likely landing spots if Favre is traded: Atlanta, Minnesota, Chicago and Carolina.

That said, I suspect Favre may especially want to play again for this reason: he does not want that awful interception he threw in OT against the Giants to go down as his last NFL pass. That's the anti-Ted Williams. He's a cinch Hall-of-Famer and a great teammate, but, if he chooses to come back, I hope it is for someone else.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read