Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-03-2008   #1
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14
Default 2009 Free Agents

Just FFWing to 09 off-season after our first winning season and playoff berth!

2009 Free Agents:
http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans..._agents_1.html

TJ Housyourmama and the better Johnson "Eighty" would be sweet, but its just wishful thinking
Old 07-03-2008   #2
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP
Default Re: 2009 Free Agents

I think the odds of him not being re-signed by the end of the season are about the same odds I will win the lotto before the end of the season. (buying no tickets)
Old 07-03-2008   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am going to take an optimistic approach and think our roster will not have the deletions necessary the last two years. Smith & Kubes should have their guys in place and the draft should be the focus for building after 2008. We may still see the occasional pick up FA as a back up for a year especially if injuries continue to play a large role, but the success of drafts picks from 2006 &07 has been awesome. No reason to think this year's crop will be any different. We should have a very solid team with good depth needing only tweeking and not a major signing.
Old 07-03-2008   #4
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta Robinson is on the list of DBs.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am going to take an optimistic approach and think our roster will not have the deletions necessary the last two years. Smith & Kubes should have their guys in place and the draft should be the focus for building after 2008. We may still see the occasional pick up FA as a back up for a year especially if injuries continue to play a large role, but the success of drafts picks from 2006 &07 has been awesome. No reason to think this year's crop will be any different. We should have a very solid team with good depth needing only tweeking and not a major signing.
Who knows!
Sometimes, it's because a team is getting close that they might make a big acquisition to get over the top!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Who knows!
Sometimes, it's because a team is getting close that they might make a big acquisition to get over the top!
Have Texans ever done so? I hear you but don't see it occuring. We've had greater needs before and did not show the $.
Old 07-03-2008   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have Texans ever done so? I hear you but don't see it occuring. We've had greater needs before and did not show the $.
We've never been anywhere near close to making a play-off run!

It looks like we're getting much closer!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-03-2008   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147467 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But we had greater needs at almost every position. Now, we're a better team.

I know this is hard but think of a day when we're not looking at each and every draft pick as a savior at his position. It's coming. Think of a day when even our first and second round picks probably won't be starting. It's coming.

And when it's here and hopefully it's soon, that's when getting a big name free agent makes sense as that final piece in a run to the Super Bowl.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #9
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Think of a day when even our first and second round picks probably won't be starting. It's coming.
The next draft might be that day, depending on the play of a few key pick ups this year.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We're a much much better team now than we ever have been and I love the competition we have now at every single position. With that said, as fans we can look to try and build the perfect team- as they say, we can't have studs at every position... we can sure try and get close.

Here's what I'd like to see in no particular order (not necesarily going into the 2009 season):
Offense

-RB- I don't think we necessarily need that franchise type of back like LT, Larry Johnson, etc... but I do want to have a true #1 RB so we have more of an identity. A primary RB that is big, strong and fast and obviously perfect for the system. Slaton is a great 3rd down back. I like the idea of several RB's that get the ball but want a primary guy... maybe a guy we'd look to even draft early in fantasy football

-WR- Andre Johnson is one of the best in the game. I love the other WR's we have on the team in Walter, Davis, and Jones. I'd like to see another WR opposite AJ that is a threat like AJ. Davis is fast, Jones has potential... but I'd like to see a Harrison/Wayne type of combo and using a 3rd wide out like Indy does.

-G- I hope we're set at LT, C , and RT. I'm assuming we've got 1 guard on our team that's a long term solution but would love a dominating G (either L or R) that excels in pass and run blocking.

Defense:
-DE- Yea I know... But I Mario, Amobi, I'm hoping Okam/TJ make that dominate DL but we need a FULL time pass rusher to stay on the field 3 times. Think NY Giants DL this past season full time. Maybe Colvin fills that void but is he long term? Another young pass rushing DE to groom behind him would be ideal.

-OLB- I like Diles and Adibi + the addition of Thompson/Bentley... but if we were to add a stud OLB like Rivers/Mayo types this past draft would be awesome.

-S- We all want that ball hawking free safety, but i'm convinced we're not going to ever get one. But I do want a STUD safety that excels in both coverage and run support- we need an intelligent, athletic player back there. Maybe someone like Moore (Missouri) or Mays (USC) this coming draft.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Here's what I'd like to see in no particular order (not necesarily going into the 2009 season)...
Not to make that last post any longer ...

I can see us easily getting 2 of those positions in the upcoming draft. Say a Safety and OLB in the first two rounds.

I can see some young player we have now, select next year, or trade for like Myers filling as that perfect guard. Now is the time to get the guy while Gibbs is here- we HAVE to, if we don't already have him on the team. I trust we can find this guy though.

Then we come to DE which I'd like to see him grooming for a year or so and developing... a WR which isn't a NEED at all, but would help the offense really be dangerous, and a SOLID RB. I see Taylor the only guy on our roster that has that potential and we've basically seen NOTHING from him- shouldn't be too hard for them to find a primary guy though- WR/RB can be the last piece of the puzzle (and in my opinion should be).

So I see our guys developing over the next season or two and maybe making a big push in free agency for that last stud going into the 2010 season. I can really see us in the playoffs before then, and think we do/will have a really good team, but we're talking about getting to be perennial AFC championship contenders and consistently winning our division- we'll need a full force of studs. I'm super excited.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #12
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 123 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
The next draft might be that day, depending on the play of a few key pick ups this year.
And how sweet will that be for all of us long waiting Houston Pro Football fans? WooHoo!!!
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #13
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Next year we should finally be in cap shape to sign a young stud that can help put the team over the top. EX: A simarly rated player to Asante Samuel would be nice in 09...
Old 07-07-2008   #14
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

If BIG if Steven Jackson does become a FA .... that'd be interesting.

I saw Julius Peppers on there...maybe we could right a wrong oh so long ago when he should've been #1 overall instead of a certain QB.

A guy I'd love to see in our secondary though is Mike Brown.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
If BIG if Steven Jackson does become a FA .... that'd be interesting.

I saw Julius Peppers on there...maybe we could right a wrong oh so long ago when he should've been #1 overall instead of a certain QB.

A guy I'd love to see in our secondary though is Mike Brown.
Mike Brown took a big paycut because of the time he missed due to injuries. He's not injury prone, per sť, but those knee surgeries have undoubtedly slowed him down.

Last edited by mexican_texan; 07-08-2008 at 04:41 AM.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read