Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-03-2008   #1
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Winston & Bennett make Prisco's Breakout 30 list

From CBS Sportsline:

Quote:
13. Eric Winston, RT, Houston Texans: The right tackle spot isn't a strong one in the NFL. Winston has a chance to move toward the top of the rankings at that position. He emerged as the Texans' best lineman last season. He has always been a good pass protector, but he improved his run blocking last season. It's too bad right tackles get overlooked come Pro Bowl time because he's a good one.

15. Fred Bennett, CB, Houston Texans: A fourth-round pick last April, Bennett made his way into the starting lineup in 2007 and had three interceptions and 14 passes defensed. With Dunta Robinson coming off a major knee injury, Bennett will have to be even better in 2008.
Will Osi the Insult Giant have a problem with this list?
Old 07-03-2008   #2
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Winston & Bennett make Prisco's Breakout 30 list

Saw that. He messed though up by not putting Amobi Okoye on that list.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Not really a breakout year for Okoye last year. Maybe this year though. Imagine if he has anywhere near the second year that Mario had.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #4
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

I see that Matt Leinart made the list as a possible break out player but it seems like there were some other QBs that came out the same year that didn't show up on his little list.

Quote:
7. Matt Leinart, QB, Arizona Cardinals: His second season was cut short in 2008 when he suffered a broken collarbone in the fifth game. That led to Kurt Warner taking over and playing well. But Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt is going back to Leinart, which is the right move. Leinart can be the Cardinals' franchise passer and this is the season he proves that to the many skeptics.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #5
Polo

Fred Bennett and Eric Winston being on that list is Ridiculous.
Old 07-03-2008   #6
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
From CBS Sportsline:

Will Osi the Insult Giant have a problem with this list?
I guess you would expect for him to want to cr@p all over it.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I don't understand - in what way?
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-03-2008   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

Count me in as confused.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I sure hope that Winston have a breakout this year.

But it's kinda funny.
When the guy said Winston was the Texans best lineman last year, doesn't that mean he had already arrived?

And if so, why does he need to break out again?

To the point, I like to see Winston improve on protecting the edge.
Too often, he let his man get past him in just 1 and a half second.
Even though many times it didn't result in a sack, but our QBs were hurried quite a bit.
Like in that Chargers game!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #10
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Count me in as confused.

He's joking.

Remember what everyone was saying about Mario?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I do not anticipate either Bennett or Winston to have "break out seasons". Winston should exhibit steady growth and will keep his position quiet which is all I expect. Bennett for different reasons will have a good but not great season. My reasoning is teams will pick on the other CB at least until convinced not to. If Reeves or whomever, starts picking off passes then eventually things may even up. I think odds are the other CB may have a break out type season. Reeves with his speed may just have best season of his career if he can have some INTs and score some points.
Old 07-03-2008   #12
Polo

I don't think any team is gonna fear any of our DB's enough to pick on anyone...

I think they'll just run their offenses...
Old 07-03-2008   #13
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Not really a breakout year for Okoye last year. Maybe this year though. Imagine if he has anywhere near the second year that Mario had.
Its a breakout list for 2008
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #14
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

While I wouldn't mind Winston and Bennett having breakout years, I sure hope we have a few more do the same. I, like a lot of you, hope Okoye has a breakout year, but I'm also hoping Chris Taylor (if he plays a lot), Jacoby Jones, and Zac Diles have breakout seasons too. Heck, the more the merrier!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #15
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Thats ok he'll know after this year.
Old 07-05-2008   #16
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Eric Winston was an exceptional LEFT tackle for the Miami Hurricanes until he got injured. He then came back and was an above-average to great LEFT tackle for the Hurricanes.

How is it that he is not an exceptional RIGHT tackle for the Texans? Why did the Texans feel they needed to go out and look for a left tackle when they might very well have that guy right here?

I remember hearing about Winston's "short arms". I also remember Winston scoffing at this and saying he had no idea how this BS got started.

This may have been discussed before but I'm still in the dark on this one.

Anyone?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008   #17
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Eric Winston was an exceptional LEFT tackle for the Miami Hurricanes until he got injured. He then came back and was an above-average to great LEFT tackle for the Hurricanes.

How is it that he is not an exceptional RIGHT tackle for the Texans? Why did the Texans feel they needed to go out and look for a left tackle when they might very well have that guy right here?

I remember hearing about Winston's "short arms". I also remember Winston scoffing at this and saying he had no idea how this BS got started.

Anyone?
That's his biggest knock, and the reason we looked for more help at LT. Winston would either make a slightly above average Left Tackle or an absolute stud at Right. He is a mauler and he is better on the right side, IMO.
Old 07-05-2008   #18
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

Anyone?
What can I say? Size-wise and everything else, he's a projected right tackle, but he's also pretty good at it. As much as a Captain Caveman fan as I am, I don't think he's ever had a breakout season, and I don't think next year will be any different. He does his job well, and he continues to go beyond what's called. He's that lock - as long as he's on the Texans, right tackle is taken care of. An unsung hero of sorts except on the message boards and probably a Madden/Howie Long tough guy nomination eventually. Glad to have him in a Texans Uni.
Old 07-05-2008   #19
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Anyone?

I know a few people have said that he's got short arms and blah blah blah, but I think Kubiak just see's him as a big mauling put the other guy on defense on his ass during a run play sort of player. He's really good at that, and his pass protection does leave a little to be desired. I think he's a great RT, and that if moved to LT and was given harder assignments in pass protection, he'd only be above average.

I think that what Kubiak wanted in a LT was a rangy nasty big guy who can run block pretty freaking well as well. I think he'll have pass protection problems too, but I think Duane Brown is probably a tad quicker off of the snap and seems to be able to kick out to being on an island rather quickly.

I really think that Winston will have a breakout season this year (in the media's eyes) because the Texans run game will be something to behold of the ass magic of Alex Gibbs holds up. Just wait, if the Texans sport a top 10 running game, you will see a lot of positive press on our entire o-line unit. I only say this because not even 4 years ago, our offensive line was probably the biggest joke in the NFL.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I'm filing this post under "he just wants to start some crap" because you offer NO supporting argument/discussion for this statement.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read