Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-15-2004   #1
donbmt
Veteran

Default Games on Christmas day '05?

Next year Christmas falls on a Sunday, I wonder how the NFL will schedule games?
Old 12-15-2004   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I've seen games on Xmas before I think. It's just the way it happens sometimes.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #3
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

They schedule the bulk of the games on Saturday. I don't remember if they have a day game or the Sunday night game on Sunday. It seems like the ESPN game was moved to Christmas eve that year. Here is what happened in 1994 (the last time Christmas fell on a Sunday):

Week 17:
Saturday, Dec. 24
Arizona(8-8) @ ATLANTA(7-9) 6-10
Buffalo(7-9) @ INDIANAPOLIS(8-8) 9-10
Dallas(12-4) @ NY GIANTS(9-7) 10-15
GREEN BAY(9-7) @ Tampa Bay(6-10) 34-19
NEW ENGLAND(10-6) @ Chicago(9-7) 13-3
Philadelphia(7-9) @ CINCINNATI(3-13) 30-33
Seattle(6-10) @ CLEVELAND(11-5) 9-35
KANSAS CITY(9-7) @ LA Raiders(9-7) 19-9
NEW ORLEANS(7-9) @ Denver(7-9) 30-28
NY Jets(6-10) @ HOUSTON(2-13) 10-24
Pittsburgh(12-4) @ SAN DIEGO(11-5) 34-37
WASHINGTON(3-13) @ LA Rams(4-12) 24-21
Sunday, Dec. 25
Detroit(9-7) @ MIAMI(10-6) 20-27
Monday, Dec. 26
San Francisco(13-3) @ MINNESOTA(10-6) 14-21

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/...edule1994.html
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #4
texansfan88
All Pro

my first game ever was that oiler/jet game...
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #5
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmmm, it would be hard for me to attend a game on Christmas. Being with my family is more important. If the Texans do have a home game at Christmas I will donate my tickets to a charity.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #6
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Ogre = charity
Old 12-15-2004   #7
donbmt
Veteran

I'm with you on that Greg, of course the charity would be my neighbor who's been bugging me for tickets. The best thing for me would be that our beloved team is on the road that weekend, or hey, even better yet, it could be our first Monday night game
Old 12-15-2004   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Would you go to a home Texan's game on Christmas Eve at 12pm? How about 3pm?
Old 12-15-2004   #9
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes on the 12:00 start, no on the 3:00 start. I live 90 minutes from the stadium so that would get me back to the house probably around 8:00.

We are among the "Them"
Old 12-15-2004   #10
shinerbock_texas
Rookie

What day was the Oilers/ 49ers game? I remember it being really close to Christmas. The Oilers put on one of their best games in the history of the franchise to that moment.
shinerbock_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #11
gwallaia

The Oiler-49er game was indeed on Christmas. The Oilers were in the mist of a 12 game win streak. It was all big waste of time however as the Bud cursed Oilers choked against the Chiefs in the Astrodome in the Divisional Playoffs.

We are among the "Them"
Old 12-15-2004   #12
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Definitions of Ogre on the Web....

Hehe all of those are "ogre", lower case. I am "Ogre", "The Ogre" (or "TheOgre" here), which are all derivatives of a college nickname.
Old 12-15-2004   #13
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
monster: a cruel wicked and inhuman person
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn
How can you be a person if you are not a human???

I just noticed, that came from Princeton.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #14
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Ogre = ... know anyone by the name of Fiona?

(what this all has to do with being given tickets to a football game .. I don't know. lol)
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

I did in elementary school. She was the younger sister of one of my good friends.
Old 12-15-2004   #16
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I did in elementary school. She was the younger sister of one of my good friends.
Think I heard that she may be waiting for you in a faraway castle somewhere...
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #17
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 668 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Did they do the same thing for new years day? I'm sure they don't want to compete with the bowl games.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #18
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow!! I was just thinking about this today after looking at the schedule next week and seeing games scheduled on Christmas day and thinking what happens next year when Christmas falls on a Sunday? For as long as I've been watching football I couldn't for the life of me remember if the NFL played games Christmas day or not.

All I know is that if we have a home game Christmas day, Christmas morning for me will be in the yellow lot.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #19
profan
Veteran

If we don't have a game on Christmas day/eve, we will surely have one on New Years day/eve. Imagine, Dec. 31, 2005, parking lot opens at 8:00 am, don't have to hide the alcohol on Saturday, game from 12 - 3, 1 hour aftergame tailgate, then it's time for the New Years party. That's going to be one long and fun day!
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #20
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher
Did they do the same thing for new years day? I'm sure they don't want to compete with the bowl games.
In 1994, the 1st round of the playoffs feel on that weekend. They played 2 games on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. I vaguely remember them playing all of the "January 1" games on the 2nd instead. My memory might be failing me though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read