Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2004   #21
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

I just wanna say LOL @ the current state of the Browns.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #22
AndreJ
All Pro

Yeah i read that article in today's paper too. I planned to come one here and talk about it cause i thought it was so good, but apparently i wasn't the only one looks like a bunch of people beat me to the punch
Old 12-15-2004   #23
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Yeah, he has been impressive but who else would they Franchise if not him?
No one that I can see, unless they consider their starting RT worthy of the Franchise tag. Tackles come at a premium on the OL, even if it's not the QB's blindside tackle.

The only reason that I can see as to why Detroit won't franchise Rogers, is that he hasn't put up the kind of numbers that a top 5 DT would put up. So, the question for them is, is he worth top 5 money? Is he worth $7-8 million per year to them, to start off? Marcus Bell might be able to step in & handle the job.

Keep in mind, Detroit has somewhere in the range of $7.2 million in available cap space.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #24
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

yeah its good to hear the coaches know how we feel. Well i do expect to see some big FA moves during the off season, unless the totally have faith in our O and D-Line, which i dont. But maybe we are all just dumb and dont see that what the coaches are doing will help us in the long run !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #25
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie
The only reason that I can see as to why Detroit won't franchise Rogers, is that he hasn't put up the kind of numbers that a top 5 DT would put up. So, the question for them is, is he worth top 5 money? Is he worth $7-8 million per year to them, to start off? Marcus Bell might be able to step in & handle the job.
Rogers will be franchised. I think it's pretty much a given.
Old 12-15-2004   #26
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNFL
The article is amazing because of the real message that got delivered. Now we know that the Texans need a new front seven on defense, a new cornerback...on offense we need a new RB, TE, WR...so it looks that the only position that has job security is the QB...then what does that say about Casserly's decision over the past three years in building this team? Aren't we supposed to be building a nucleus of players for the future? Are we saying that we don't have good players? or is it the coaches trying to blame the players?
The article is saying . . . that they don't have the talent yet to compete with winning teams. I think that is pretty clear.

After only 3 years, that is not an indictment against the coaching staff, or Casserly. If one thinks it is, it's only a reflection of one's own impatience.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #27
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

atleast we're not having coruption in the organizaton, to where both sides dont agree with the other. And than we'd be in the browns situation. I mean do you really want us to hire and fire a new coach every year as the browns and Arizona does ....
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2004   #28
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
I mean do you really want us to hire and fire a new coach every year as the browns and Arizona does ....
You'd be amazed.
Old 12-15-2004   #29
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Three years is not every year. In fairness the 1st two years looked like the team was making progress and heading in the right direction. We ended last year on some very positive notes. We were in ball games having incurred a lot of injuries. We looked like a team who could really mature in the off season. This season, however, has been a dismal failure in many ways and, more importantly, the chemistry that we had last year has disappeared. The team is like a river barge that's lost its power source. We are headed for a big crash without any life boats.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #30
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
There is another line in that article that needs repeating.

I'm not disappointed with the article, but I'm very disappointed with the response to the article.

This obvious lack of patience can be forgiven if you're one of the youngins that weren't around during the Oiler days. But if you're one of those ex-Oiler fans like me, then obviously you've forgotten how your beloved Bud Adams delivered all those 1-15 and 3-13 seasons by changing the coaching staff every year. Funny how he didn't wise up until he moved the team to Tennessee.

But then, maybe some of you like the way they run the Redskins.
RIGHT ON. I was around for the coaching turnstiles of the Oilers, and I continue to be amazed at the people who simultaneously want to fire Chris Palmer even as they make excuses for the "young" offensive line by saying they're still learning a new scheme. Exactly what do they think will happen if another coach is brought in!?! (Side note: it is difficult to teach an undertalented guy how to play left tackle, even if you're Vince Lombardi.)

This team's just now getting to a solid footing in the NFL. I'm in total agreement that anything less than 7-9 is a sign that the team did not progress sufficiently in 2004. But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here. I see on SI.com that Capers is now one of the choices on their poll regarding the 2004 NFL coach most deserving of a pinkslip. Come on. THAT coach was Wannstedt, and he's gone. Next should be Haslett, then Holmgren. Those guys had their shot.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #31
profan
Veteran

I'll reserve judgement until the end of the year. I agree with sticking to the plan, however, i would not let everyone think their set in stone. Some long range plans need minor adjustments at times.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #32
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Read the last part of THIS article about promoting stability.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #33
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

2 coaches in 35 years. Hmmmm. Yeah, I think these guys can learn to coach in about 17.5 more years, lol.

Seriously, McNair makes a really good point there, but I bet a lot of people wish he hadn't made those extensions if we go 6-10, which is very possible. I'm surprised he didn't wait to see how we do these last 3 games, because look how bad it's been losing 5 out of the last 6, while playing a tough stretch of games. I'm not saying he should let them go, but just that this seems like a strange time to be giving them extensions.

Last edited by HJam72; 12-17-2004 at 08:28 AM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #34
MichaelMC
Rookie

WHAT??? Did I read that correctly. I think Capers makes a better DCthan HC but I think Chris palmer is WAY more conservative than I want as a HC, if we want a very conservative football team just leave Caper where he is.
MichaelMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #35
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

If you read this mornings Chronicle..you would see that all the coaches have 2 more years left after this season via contract.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #36
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Last edited by infantrycak : 1 Minute Ago at 09:06 AM. Reason: Off-topic and unsubstantiated cap rant stricken
Thanks infantry. I was about to rail into him, but thankfully, you beat me to the punch.
Old 12-17-2004   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetero doxy
how is it unsubstantiated? the texans have at least $8 million to spend and in vinny's article it says casserly says the texans won't sign any top-tier FAs. unpleasaant, maybe, but completely on-topic.
Since you refuse to activate your private messages, I will explain here once. There is a thread specifically for you to explain your cap theories. Other than providing a link that the Texans had $3.3 mil in cap space before the season began and not accounting for practice squad players or players on IR you have not entertained discussion in that thread but keep on injecting it into other threads. Once again you are not providing a source for your $8 mil number. You are free to discuss this issue but do so in the appropriate thread and provide some support--FYI the coaches aren't in charge of cap management.

Quote:
oh, and nice new standard, infantrycak. if i were to call for chris palmer to be fired i can start a new thread (you let about 20 people do just that this weekend) but if i want him hired you hide it.
This thread is about coaching changes--do you seriously not consider what you were suggesting a coaching change? Yeah we miss merging some threads while we are watching/at the games but there is no new or double standard.
Old 12-17-2004   #38
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

I nominate Toro for head coach! Anyone second that nomination?
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #39
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I still am not sold on everything. I think SOME coaching changes would be a good idea. Like Joe Pendry for example. We have a barely capable Oline that needs guidance and we have a 1st year oline coach. We dont need our coaching staff growing up with the players.
Pendry has been an NFL coach for 18 seasons. This is just his first year with the Texans. Although he only spent one previous NFL season as an offensive line coach, I would think that 10 years of NFL experience as an offensive coordinator has given him some insight on how an NFL offensive line should operate.

From the Texans official site:
Joe Pendry enters his 18 th NFL season and his first in Houston, where he will coach the Texans’ interior offensive linemen.

The Texans hired Pendry this past January, reuniting him with head coach Dom Capers. Pendry served as Capers’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for three seasons in Carolina (1995-97). In all, Pendry has worked for six previous NFL teams over 17 seasons, reaching the playoffs 11 times.

Pendry arrived in Houston after assisting the Southwest Missouri State football program during the 2003 season. His last NFL stop came in Washington, where he spent the 2001 season as the Redskins’ offensive line coach under Marty Schottenheimer. Pendry’s troops helped the Redskins rush for 1,948 yards, including a club-record 1,432 yards by running back Stephen Davis. Left tackle Chris Samuels was selected to his first Pro Bowl in just his second NFL season.

Pendry’s previous post was in Buffalo, where he served as the Bills’ offensive coordinator for three seasons. In Pendry’s first season, the Bills jumped from 25 th to sixth in the NFL in total offense, reaching the playoffs and sending four offensive players to the Pro Bowl. Buffalo again made the postseason in 1999, ranking 11 th in the league in offense. Under Pendry, the Bills averaged 2,041 rushing yards per season, cracking the league’s top 10 all three seasons.

In Charlotte, Pendry helped the Panthers set an NFL expansion record for wins in 1995 (seven) and then reach the NFC Championship Game in just their second season. Quarterback Kerry Collins played in the Pro Bowl and running back Anthony Johnson posted the first 1,000-yard rushing season in franchise history.

Pendry spent the 1993-94 seasons in Chicago after serving four seasons in Kansas City as Schottenheimer’s offensive coordinator. The Chiefs made the playoffs in three of Pendry’s four seasons. Pendry accompanied Schottenheimer to Kansas City from Cleveland, where he broke into the NFL as the Browns’ running backs coach. Cleveland reached two AFC Championship Games and in 1985 became the first team in NFL history to boast two 1,000-yard running backs (Earnest Byner, Kevin Mack).

Pendry, like Capers, launched his professional coaching career with the USFL’s Philadelphia Stars. He served as Philadelphia’s offensive coordinator in 1983 before becoming head coach of the Pittsburgh Maulers in 1984.

Pendry began his coaching career at his alma mater, West Virginia, in 1969. He later matriculated to Kansas State (1975), back to Morgantown for the 1976-77 seasons, then coached at Pittsburgh (1978-79) and Michigan State (1980-81). Pendry was a tight end for the Mountaineers before an injury during his sophomore season ended his career.

A native of Matheny, W. Va., Pendry and his wife, Sandi, have a son, Joe, a daughter, Jill, and three grandchildren. The couple lives in Houston.

PENDRY’S COACHING LEDGER
2004: Offensive Line (Centers/Guards), Houston Texans
2003: Coaching Consultant, Southwest Missouri State
2001: Offensive Line, Washington Redskins
1998-2000: Offensive Coordinator, Buffalo Bills
1995-97: Offensive Coordinator, Carolina Panthers
1993-94: Running Backs, Chicago Bears
1989-92: Offensive Coordinator, Kansas City Chiefs
1985-88: Running Backs, Cleveland Browns
1984: Head Coach, Pittsburgh Maulers
1983: Offensive Coordinator, Philadelphia Stars
1980-81: Offensive Coordinator, Michigan State
1979: Offensive Line, Pittsburgh
1978: Quarterbacks, Pittsburgh
1976-77: Offensive Coordinator, West Virginia
1975: Offensive Coordinator, Kansas State
1974: Offensive Line, West Virginia
1972-73: Wide Receivers, West Virginia
1971: Freshman Head Coach, West Virginia
1970: Graduate Assistant, West Virginia
1969: Student Assistant, West Virginia
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #40
MichaelMC
Rookie

Sounds like a good man for palmers job if you ask me...
MichaelMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read