Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-30-2008   #1
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Demeco Ryans or Patrick Willis??

Now both of these guys had incredible rookie seasons and won the defensive ROTY. I figured that they are pretty good comparisons after what they have both accomplished since coming into the league.

Willis had slightly better numbers than Ryans's rookie season, and I have heard from fans outside of Houston that they would rather have Willis which isn't a bad choice at all. Personally I would still take Ryans because of all of the interviews and stuff that I have heard him say over the last two years that impresses me as far as his mental abilities and maturity and that is just a non bias pick as well.

Now I'm sure that most people in here will say Ryans as well because of homerism or bias, but I was curious if anyone would rather have Willis, because if someone said yes I wouldn't blame them or say that they were wrong. They are both great LB's that will see multiple pro bowls, but I like comparing and contrasting the two because they are both are such exceptional young LB's?

Ryans or Willis?????????
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008   #2
Ckw

Default Re: Demeco Ryans or Patrick Willis??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Now both of these guys had incredible rookie seasons and won the defensive ROTY. I figured that they are pretty good comparisons after what they have both accomplished since coming into the league.

Willis had slightly better numbers than Ryans's rookie season, and I have heard from fans outside of Houston that they would rather have Willis which isn't a bad choice at all. Personally I would still take Ryans because of all of the interviews and stuff that I have heard him say over the last two years that impresses me as far as his mental abilities and maturity and that is just a non bias pick as well.

Now I'm sure that most people in here will say Ryans as well because of homerism or bias, but I was curious if anyone would rather have Willis, because if someone said yes I wouldn't blame them or say that they were wrong. They are both great LB's that will see multiple pro bowls, but I like comparing and contrasting the two because they are both are such exceptional young LB's?

Ryans or Willis?????????
Isn't Willis an OLB? I don't know much about him but on the intelligence factor alone, I would take Ryans. In his rookie season, which he dominated, Ryans played MLB for one of the first times in his career. He played it some at Bama, but was predominately an OLB. He picked up the position and has become the leader of our defense. Pretty impressive for a guy going on his third year.

Demeco in '09!!!
Old 06-30-2008   #3
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Guess it really depends on what Scheme you are running. Willis is in a 3-4 while we run a 4-3.

Honestly I think both are excellent LBs and we're lucky to have one of them.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe both Willis and Ryans were OLB's in college until their senior season. Both are MLB's with their respective teams in the NFL (Willis plays in a 3-4 and Ryans in a 4-3). Both are incredible LB's. To answer the question I would choose to have Demeco Ryans with the 33rd overall pick over Patrick Willis with the 11th overall pick.

Demeco is a very smart football player, is a great tackler, and wonderful leader for this Defense. Patrick is an incredibly tough and physical player, much more so than Demeco. He's also a very intelligent player and has incredibly instincts- as does Demeco. (Not trying to say Demeco isn't tough though)

Willis is more of a hardnosed physical PUNISHING type of LB than Demeco is. When you think of just tough defenses like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, even Jacksonville... I see Willis as a good fit. Demeco seems more of a finess kind of LB to me. With our DL I see Demeco as the perfect fit and leader.

I would have loved to see Willis drafted last year to play MLB and have Demeco OLB. Amobi, if he grows to his potential (which sounds like he is), is an invaluable player for our team as a pass rushing DT to have along the DL, so it was a great selection over Willis and will make Demeco that much more productive.

Willis is a bigger player and built more like a MLB. Look at any website and he's going to only be like 3-5lbs heavier.. apprx the same height. Look at these two next to each other and/or on film and you can see PW is bigger. Dare I say the measurements must be off!? haha

But if a trade was proposed: Demeco for Willis straight up... paying no attention to salaries or anything... pay them both the exact same amt. and all, it's just a straight up swap... I'd keep Demeco.

But there really isn't a right answer. I see Willis being more valuable than Demeco on certain teams in different defenses... but for the Texans I LOOOVVee Demeco!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I believe both Willis and Ryans were OLB's in college until their senior season. Both are MLB's with their respective teams in the NFL (Willis plays in a 3-4 and Ryans in a 4-3). Both are incredible LB's. To answer the question I would choose to have Demeco Ryans with the 33rd overall pick over Patrick Willis with the 11th overall pick.

Demeco is a very smart football player, is a great tackler, and wonderful leader for this Defense. Patrick is an incredibly tough and physical player, much more so than Demeco. He's also a very intelligent player and has incredibly instincts- as does Demeco. (Not trying to say Demeco isn't tough though)

Willis is more of a hardnosed physical PUNISHING type of LB than Demeco is. When you think of just tought defenses like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, even Jacksonville... I see Willis as a good fit. Demeco seems more of a finess kind of LB to me. With our DL I see Demeco as the perfect fit and leader.

I would have loved to see Willis drafted last year to player MLB and have Demeco OLB. Amobi, if he grows to his potential (which sounds like he is), is an invaluable player for our team as a pass rushing DT to have along the DL, so it was a great selection over Willis.

Willis is a bigger player and built more like a MLB. Look at any website and he's going to only be like 3-5lbs heavier.. apprx the same height. Look at these two next to each other and/or on film and you can see PW is bigger. Dare I say the measurements must be off!? haha

But if a trade was proposed: Demeco for Willis straight up... paying no attention to salaries or anything... pay them both the exact same amt. and all, it's just a straight up swap... I'd keep Demeco.

But there really isn't a right answer. I see Willis being more valuable than Demeco on certain teams in different defenses... but for the Texans I LOOOVVee Demeco!
Great post with superb analysis Miss Texan. You're right that there really isn't a right pick or a wrong pick on either because they are both already great and will be for a long time. I'd take Ryans as well because of the maturity and great head that he has on his shoulders.

I thought it was an interesting comparison though considering how much success both guys had in their rookie seasons.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #6
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Willis is one of the freaks of the NFL, while DeMeco has the leadership

I'd take Willis & DeMeco though.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #7
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

many of us hoped to have willis paired with demeco, couldn't argue the amobi pick though. demeco or willis? if it ain't broke don't fix it, DEMECO
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-04-2008   #8
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

easy...taking demeco @ #33 > willis @ #11
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #9
whiskeyrbl

Demeco hands down.... Willis is good but DWreck is bad a$$
Old 07-05-2008   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
Demeco hands down.... Willis is good but DWreck is bad a$$
Willis was also flat out nasty last season.

Willis has more potential than DeMeco, but Ryans probably has a better football IQ, so he'll be able to stay pretty even with Willis regardless. Frankly I hate this question, because I really don't want to choose, I love DeMeco Ryans, but Patrick Willis is also a straight up bad ass mofo.

Frankly this question breaks down like this........who would you rather have, Jessica Alba or Jessica Biel............who the hell cares, I'll take either home and I'd be one happy dude regardless of who I picked.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 07-05-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #11
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
easy...taking demeco @ #33 > willis @ #11
This is the exact same thing I was going to say.
Old 07-06-2008   #12
Sal Rosenberg
All Pro

Rep Power: 111 Sal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respected

It should be Okoye or Willis.
Sal Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Rosenberg View Post
It should be Okoye or Willis.
This, and I'll probably get blasted for it, but I think a great DT is harder to find than a great LB.

I think Okoye has the makings to be a real star in the league (Not like Willis isn't, because he sure as hell is), but I want that nasty defensive line, and I think Williams and Okoye are going to be particularly brutal this year.

So I'd rather have DeMeco Ryans playing behind a filthy defensive line, than Mario getting no help at all and having two great LB's behind him.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #14
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
This, and I'll probably get blasted for it, but I think a great DT is harder to find than a great LB.

I think Okoye has the makings to be a real star in the league (Not like Willis isn't, because he sure as hell is), but I want that nasty defensive line, and I think Williams and Okoye are going to be particularly brutal this year.

So I'd rather have DeMeco Ryans playing behind a filthy defensive line, than Mario getting no help at all and having two great LB's behind him.
agree
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #15
Sal Rosenberg
All Pro

Rep Power: 111 Sal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

AMEN!I loved the Okoye pick!
Sal Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If it were my decision, I'd take Lofa Tatupu, Patrick Willis, and Demeco Ryans, with Brian Urlacher as my reserve player.
Old 07-06-2008   #17
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steroids View Post
Incredibly difficult question. I really really really like Patrick Willis.

I also don't think the question should be PW or DR, but instead PW or AO because both were there last year...

IMO, and I'm not trying to step on toes here, just keeping it real, I think PW and Demeco would have been a better tandem than MW and AO... I think productive DT's are easier to find than talent like PW. Just my .02$.
Thats the guy I wanted, though AO was 2nd on my list. We would have one of the best LB corps in the NFL, but lets see how this plays out.
Old 07-06-2008   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Great post! The thing about Okoye and Willis is are particular team and these players potential. I think the 'new' Texans staff want to build this team from the inside out and are really making an effort to have our DL doing the damage to help out the rest of the defense.

I think Okoye has an incredible amount of upside to be a tremendous player and moreso be a HUGE asset on the DL. Mario and Okoye will really feed off each other and our DL will be dominant. With that said, I thought Willis was THE saftest pick in the entire draft. Willis was a guaranteed pro bowl LB the minute he was selected. Okoye is a risky pick but I think he will make the defense all around better than Willis would have. A talent like Okoye is really really rare.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
With that said, I thought Willis was THE saftest pick in the entire draft. Willis was a guaranteed pro bowl LB the minute he was selected. Okoye is a risky pick but I think he will make the defense all around better than Willis would have. A talent like Okoye is really really rare.
high praise indeed as I would expect but I would have taken Joe Thomas or Laron Landry ahead of Willis as the safest pick. highest reward player of course was "AD" Adrian Peterson. it was a great last year for the Texans to have a top 10 pick.

DeMeco is proof why the Texans need to hold onto their 2nd rd. picks he's a legitimate 1st rd. talent.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #20
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
DeMeco is proof why the Texans need to hold onto their 2nd rd. picks he's a legitimate 1st rd. talent.
QFT! Matt Schaub MAY turn out to be worth both those 2's, but it hasn't happened yet. Let's see if he can stay healthy a full season and see what the #'s look like.

Meco & Willis are both outstanding 'backers and we're lucky to have one of 'em. I remember asking everyone who was slamming the Mario pick that if I told them before the draft that we'd end up w/ two full-time Defensive starters and one would end up DROY would they have been satisfied? Most said he** yes.

How great is it another year down the road to be looking at TWO Pro-Bowl caliber players? (Perhaps three if Okoye steps up this season?)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read