Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-28-2008   #1
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Great Mario Williams piece

Throwing into traffic blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowingIntoTraffic
“It looks like the dumbest sports decision of the past 25 years…and that’s before we find out Reggie Bush’s ceiling.”

- Bill Simmons on Houston selecting Mario Williams at #1 in 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwing Into Traffic
One need only look at the way we react to people acting “out of character,” or our notorious aversion to change to see how unexpected occurrences and choices rub us the wrong way. This was certainly the case in the 2006 NFL draft, when, with Reggie “The New Gale Sayers” Bush and Vince “Quarterback Revolution #3394” Young available, the Houston Texans selected DE Mario Williams with the first overall pick. The backlash was immediate and overwhelming. At no point were any of the positives mentioned (Williams had a stellar college career, he would have CERTAINLY gone second if not picked first, and HUMAN BODIES THAT BIG ARE NOT MEANT TO DO WHAT WILLIAMS’S DOES)
I know Mario has gotten a ton of love this offseason, so. . . Here's some more!

I liked this article because the writer actually researched some opinions on the 2006 draft rather than just saying "The media hated on the Texans".
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Great Mario Williams piece

I would like to see a great year from Mario before I take another swig of battle red koolaid but I will say I have always been impressed on how well Mario handled himself throughout all the crap he took .
Old 06-28-2008   #3
3rd and Inches
NFL's La Migra

Rep Power: 1035 3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to 3rd and Inches Send a message via MSN to 3rd and Inches Send a message via Yahoo to 3rd and Inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I would like to see a great year from Mario before I take another swig of battle red koolaid but I will say I have always been impressed on how well Mario handled himself throughout all the crap he took .
I agree.. I think he handled all the negativity with integrity and honor.. which just made me love him more in my opinion..
Old 06-28-2008   #4
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

keep it coming! i love every single word of "oops" press he's getting! every single word! man it's a great off season to be a long time Texans fan!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Free will is both something we cherish and something with which we’ll never be fully comfortable. On the one hand, we love the idea of free will as an abstract literary concept, allowing us to set the plot of our individual stories, thumbing our noses at the things we “should” do in favor of that which inspires our passions. Yet this abstract love affair is something we are less ready to accept as applied to reality. One need only look at the way we react to people acting “out of character,” or our notorious aversion to change to see how unexpected occurrences and choices rub us the wrong way.
That is so freakin' true. I've never read TiT, before. I gave it a bookmark and will keep reading.

Mario made KSK as the 8th seed in the Bracket of Pain, to determine the Heavyweight champ of the NFL. Speaking of KSK, you may or may not like Thursday's entry which has something on the Texans Travis Johnson. But, you definitely don't want to post it here.
Old 06-28-2008   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

<----Is what my face looks knowing the media made fools out of themselves

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008   #7
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

nice find bOng, hopefully mario is the point of the sword this year
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-28-2008   #8
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

So far I haven't tired of reading/hearing all the praise and apologies that Mario has been receiving from the press. I guess there was just so much crap dished out about him that it's going to take a long time for me to get tired of it. Heck, I may never forgive them! LOL!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008   #9
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
So far I haven't tired of reading/hearing all the praise and apologies that Mario has been receiving from the press. I guess there was just so much crap dished out about him that it's going to take a long time for me to get tired of it. Heck, I may never forgive them! LOL!
I feel the same way. There was nothing in that article that I haven't heard a hundred times before. But it was just as entertaining and satisfying as the first time I heard the media eat crow about Mario.
dc_txtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008   #10
CT CSTM
Rookie

Rep Power: 70 CT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd and Inches View Post
I agree.. I think he handled all the negativity with integrity and honor.. which just made me love him more in my opinion..
I remember last pre-season, he and I were sitting in his driveway working on something,,,just hanging out BSing about nothing,,,he had been pretty down about all the negativity in the media so we were just talking about anything "not football",,,we hear a car drive by and the passenger yells out "Mario Sucks" as they drive by,,,we look at each other, he rolls his eyes and just kinda chuckles,,,we went back to our conversation without missing a beat,,,

Yeah the kid handled it like a seasoned veteran,,,
Old 06-28-2008   #11
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
I feel the same way. There was nothing in that article that I haven't heard a hundred times before. But it was just as entertaining and satisfying as the first time I heard the media eat crow about Mario.
And only slightly less entertaining and satisfying has been the "Maybe it really WAS David Carr's fault . . . " redemption pieces for the Texans offense. But the Williams story probably gets the edge because nobody, NOBODY in the media was willing to do anything but bash the pick at the time. I forget whose column it was that posited that we should build a giant middle finger in front of Reliant stadium, but I fervently hope that Mario takes the next step and dominates everyone next year. I'll never tire of it.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT CSTM View Post
I remember last pre-season, he and I were sitting in his driveway working on something,,,just hanging out BSing about nothing,,,he had been pretty down about all the negativity in the media so we were just talking about anything "not football",,,we hear a car drive by and the passenger yells out "Mario Sucks" as they drive by,,,we look at each other, he rolls his eyes and just kinda chuckles,,,we went back to our conversation without missing a beat,,,

Yeah the kid handled it like a seasoned veteran,,,
Does he know that there's a hardcore group of us that have been behind him since the start? (Or at least as soon as the shock of the pick wore off but before the first training camp.) ? And that it's not a small group? Or did he feel that everyone was against him?

If he doesn't know, please tell him for us.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008   #13
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm waiting for the full page ad in the Chron from Mattress Mac admitting that he doesn't know jack-crap about football.

I am however quite satisfied with the way Richard Justice is using his column to demonstrate that very thing on a regular basis.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008   #14
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I'm waiting for the full page ad in the Chron from Mattress Mac admitting that he doesn't know jack-crap about football.

I am however quite satisfied with the way Richard Justice is using his column to demonstrate that very thing on a regular basis.
true, true, very true
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008   #15
CT CSTM
Rookie

Rep Power: 70 CT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Does he know that there's a hardcore group of us that have been behind him since the start? (Or at least as soon as the shock of the pick wore off but before the first training camp.) ? And that it's not a small group? Or did he feel that everyone was against him?

If he doesn't know, please tell him for us.
He knows everyone loves him now!

He never had anyone in public come up and be rude to him, he said everyone treated him very good and respectful,,,at least to his face,,,
Old 06-29-2008   #16
3rd and Inches
NFL's La Migra

Rep Power: 1035 3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to 3rd and Inches Send a message via MSN to 3rd and Inches Send a message via Yahoo to 3rd and Inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT CSTM View Post
He knows everyone loves him now!

He never had anyone in public come up and be rude to him, he said everyone treated him very good and respectful,,,at least to his face,,,
Not surprising.. I'm about his size and it's always amazing how nice people are to your face and as soon as your back is turned.. they start the frenzy of talkin' about you.. lol..

I think he's wise beyond his years.. I'm really glad Houston has him.. Grade A Quality Person IMO
Old 06-29-2008   #17
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

there was one snipit in the article that i didn't know about. it was that he maintained a pretty high GPA throughout college as well. that's great! 3.8 or something.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008   #18
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
And only slightly less entertaining and satisfying has been the "Maybe it really WAS David Carr's fault . . . " redemption pieces for the Texans offense. But the Williams story probably gets the edge because nobody, NOBODY in the media was willing to do anything but bash the pick at the time. I forget whose column it was that posited that we should build a giant middle finger in front of Reliant stadium, but I fervently hope that Mario takes the next step and dominates everyone next year. I'll never tire of it.
The only big name nat'l media writer that backed the Mario pick from the start as far as I know was Michael Smith who hulked up on Around the Horn the day after the draft when everyone was bashing the pick.
Old 06-29-2008   #19
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
The only big name nat'l media writer that backed the Mario pick from the start as far as I know was Michael Smith who hulked up on Around the Horn the day after the draft when everyone was bashing the pick.
Yes, there was another writer named Bomani Jones that wrote for the sports illustrated. I forget what the piece was titled, but one of the quotes was that the entire sports media owed Mario Williams an apology. I haven't seen an artickle in SI by him since (Although I really haven't looked)
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Smith actually was behind the pick before the Texans announced Mario would be taken #1.

Quote:
Let me begin by assuring you that, to my knowledge, I never have suffered a head injury, not even a minor one. I've never used/abused recreational or prescription drugs. And it has been well over a week since I last consumed any alcohol. Also rest assured that when I wrote the following, I did so with a straight face.

With the first pick of the 2006 NFL draft, the Houston Texans should not select running back Reggie Bush of Southern California. And my reason has nothing to do with the recent report that his family allegedly accepted extra benefits during Bush's junior season.

And sorry, Houstonians, this isn't another plea for the Texans to pass over Bush in favor of University of Texas quarterback (and hometown hero) Vince Young.

They shouldn't trade down, either, or they might miss out on the player they should take. Mario Williams, the North Carolina State defensive end, should be the Texans' pick.
I remember reading the article and thinking Smith had made some good points regarding taking Mario. But there was no way that it would happen. Especially after giving Anthony Weaver a big contract to play LDE. Surprise!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read