Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-16-2008   #21
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans success depends on Johnson

I wouldn't really say that the success lies on Johnson, because if Johnson is healthy no one can guard him and everyone knows what we will get out of Johnson. No brainer there.

I would say that the success rides more on Matt Schaub and the running game. Will Matt Schaub be able to get the ball around to all of the WR's and have few mistakes? Will the running game improve enough to make other team's D focus more on stopping the run enabling our WR's to get one on one oppurtunities? Will the running game improve enough to consistently make the play action successful?
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #22
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I wouldn't really say that the success lies on Johnson, because if Johnson is healthy no one can guard him and everyone knows what we will get out of Johnson. No brainer there.

I would say that the success rides more on Matt Schaub and the running game. Will Matt Schaub be able to get the ball around to all of the WR's and have few mistakes? Will the running game improve enough to make other team's D focus more on stopping the run enabling our WR's to get one on one oppurtunities? Will the running game improve enough to consistently make the play action successful?
Great post.

Just like to add that the defense needs to get really nasty, which probably include Mario becoming a dominant force in the league.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancerdog View Post
I can't say one way or another about Jacques Reeves, because I don't follow the Cowboys. I do know we tossed a sizeable chunk of change his way, so he must possess some skill sets we need. I hear he is better suited to man coverage vs. Zone. I hope he proves adequate.

As far as our safeties are concerned, I think Will Demps is a lock at one position. I think the other is up for grabs. I'm excited to see what attitude Ray Rhodes instills in his players. Demps can lay the wood when he wants to. We need more of that from our DB's. Dunta is another one who can hit. I want opposing WR's to cower in fear when trying to make a catch over the middle. Anyone remember Jack "The Assassin" Tatum? I'm talking hitting like we mean it!

All I have to say to the title of this thread is " I hope that it doesn't."

Bury the David Carr goody image of the past teams. This video of Dick Butkus demonstrates what makes a winner, if an entire team has this mindset..........and the Texans have the personel that can make it happen, if they are coached "NASTY" (not DIRTY).
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans success depends on Kubiak & Staff ability to coach up the personel to exceed expectations. having Mario, DeMeco & Andre doesn't hurt either

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This video of Dick Butkus demonstrates what makes a winner, if an entire team has this mindset..........and the Texans have the personel that can make it happen, if they are coached "NASTY" (not DIRTY).
Your URL didn't work for me. BUT. I loved Butkus as a player but that team was never very good while he was on it. Granted, you said "if an entire team" and he was just one guy on those teams and he was a great guy. But his enthusiasm and work ethic didn't turn into leadership to get his entire team on board. I think their best record was 9-5 for a 3rd place finish in their division and that was his rookie year with Gale Sayers on the same team.

I think that says a lot. You've got those two incredible players, drafted one after the other, and you can't turn it into a championship or even more won games without the right teammates and coaching.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Your URL didn't work for me. BUT. I loved Butkus as a player but that team was never very good while he was on it. Granted, you said "if an entire team" and he was just one guy on those teams and he was a great guy. But his enthusiasm and work ethic didn't turn into leadership to get his entire team on board. I think their best record was 9-5 for a 3rd place finish in their division and that was his rookie year with Gale Sayers on the same team.

I think that says a lot. You've got those two incredible players, drafted one after the other, and you can't turn it into a championship or even more won games without the right teammates and coaching.
Exactly. And we now have the personel to build that mindset IF the coaching philosophy is focused to that end.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #27
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Great post.

Just like to add that the defense needs to get really nasty, which probably include Mario becoming a dominant force in the league.
Yeah, I think Mario will be fine and they say that Okoye looks better than anyone. THe only thing is that I think the D will do the best that the D can do. Our secondary is really questionable. I think that Bennett will get much better, but he's still a second year player that didn't play much last year. I don't think that Reeves is going to work out at all personally. And will we get the Robinson of old or one a little less than what he was before? We still haven't addressed the need at safety either, so their are a few holes in the D. I would really like to see the rookie safety and the rookie CB step up and be really good. That would be a really nice pleasant surprise.

The offense is going to have to really go after it this year, and find some serious confidence which is possible, it's just a matter of executing consistently and getting down the field to get at least a FG on most drives. We do have a good kicker in Brown, so that is a good benefit.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2008   #28
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I think Mario will be fine and they say that Okoye looks better than anyone. THe only thing is that I think the D will do the best that the D can do. Our secondary is really questionable. I think that Bennett will get much better, but he's still a second year player that didn't play much last year. I don't think that Reeves is going to work out at all personally. And will we get the Robinson of old or one a little less than what he was before? We still haven't addressed the need at safety either, so their are a few holes in the D. I would really like to see the rookie safety and the rookie CB step up and be really good. That would be a really nice pleasant surprise.

The offense is going to have to really go after it this year, and find some serious confidence which is possible, it's just a matter of executing consistently and getting down the field to get at least a FG on most drives. We do have a good kicker in Brown, so that is a good benefit.
Your points on the Dbacks are understood, but lets go with a positive view. Bennett, barring injury should be even better and more confident. FS Demps looked good and has the cast off his arm + a new contract. Reeves is going into a system where his skill level should excell. He may fail, but I am going with Smith that Reeves will succeed. SS is not a hole. We've never had a great SS but Kubes has often commented safety was not a glaring weakness. We have plenty to choose from to provide a capable starter. The improvement on the Dline and from the Lbackers should benefit the Dbacks and vice versa. I am really optimistic that the defense will be very much improved. The coach is my greater concern as I am not sold on Richard Smith.
Old 07-17-2008   #29
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

our success depends on the whole offense period. Even though we've got a little more depth, we need all of our key skill position guys to be healthy & doing their thing, not just johnson. If this happens, i feel like the defense will take care of itself. Look at all the games we won this year, when we were up or at least kept pace with the opposition the defense looked great.

i say this b/c imo most defenses are built to be front-running defenses mainly; ours is no different. the colts are a perfect example. They look great when they are ahead; they're swarming & making plays all over the place b/c they are more aggressive. When tied or down they can look down right awful.

bottom line is if the offense is doing its part, the defense can be more proactive vs. being preventive when they are down.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #30
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

After thinking about this for awhile and looking at our schedule I have to say that our success (for this year) depends mostly on how effective and quick Gibbs can install our new ZB style. If our linemen are not comfortable yet in the early part of the year and our running game isnt clicking, with our tough schedule? OUCH! Our season could be over with before we have a chance to enjoy it. I sure hope Gibbs is as advertised. Hes going to have to be.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #31
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
After thinking about this for awhile and looking at our schedule I have to say that our success (for this year) depends mostly on how effective and quick Gibbs can install our new ZB style. If our linemen are not comfortable yet in the early part of the year and our running game isnt clicking, with our tough schedule? OUCH! Our season could be over with before we have a chance to enjoy it. I sure hope Gibbs is as advertised. Hes going to have to be.
Bingo! This is something I've been thinking about for awhile now, and even remarked in a few other threads, how the first 5 games will tell us a lot about this team. And, how quickly the O-line and RB's take to Gibbs' system will be the biggest question needing to be answered. I'm hoping they will have the bugs worked out by the time we go to Pittsburgh.

I will say this though, even if they start out 1-4 or 2-3 I still don't think it's time to give up on the season, especially if they play all the teams close and fight to the end. I think if they are "firing on all cylinders" by the 6th game they could really make some noise in the last 11 games. The biggest issue that could ruin this season is injuries to key people. If we have another year like the last 2, all bets are off! JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #32
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

agree, the first five games are tough. if we can stay close to .500 then the middle of the year gives us a chance to make a run. it looks like we have a good team. can't wait for the season to get here
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #33
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I would even be ok with a training camp that was designed to focus heavily on the Oline. If those guys are totally locked in by the Pittsburgh Pennsylvanians game and everyone else is playing [i]at least[/] as well as they did at seasons end then we're in pretty good shape. Well maybe a rep or two for Schaub as well. But that's it!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #34
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WalterFootball Season Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Here is a link to another season preview. So, if you're bored and just want something about the Texans to read this is a pretty in-depth look at the team.

http://www.walterfootball.com/offseason2008hou.php

9 more days until camp starts!
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/HOU/10901050

Quote:
The Texans like to use their tight ends as receiving options. Daniels was the team's second-leading receiver last season with 63 catches. He struggled with holding onto the ball midway through the year, but seemed to correct those issues prior to the final month. Daniels still needs to work to improve his blocking, but is a tight end capable of being a blocking and receiving threat.
So is it time to load up our stats & quotes and throw spit balls at the Saint's boards ? Gotta couple of days before camp starts. Haven't seen too many "I beg your pardons" from that quarter yet .

Last edited by threetoedpete; 07-20-2008 at 10:17 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #35
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Every time I read the title of this thread, I think, "Duh! No kidding."

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #36
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

This is awesome news and hope we continue to hear and see these things from Schaub and AJ.

Quote:
Receiver Andre Johnson showed his teammates and coaches that he is, indeed, 100 percent recovered from the arthroscopic knee surgery he underwent after the May minicamp.

Johnson, who had been running routes for quarterback Matt Schaub before camp, got behind defensive backs C.C. Brown, Will Demps and Fred Bennett to make a magnificent catch on a long pass down the sideline. Schaub's pass was perfectly thrown. Watching that play made me wonder how good they can be if both are healthy this season.
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/07/b...as_texans.html
Old 07-25-2008   #37
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
This is awesome news and hope we continue to hear and see these things from Schaub and AJ.

Quote:
Johnson, who had been running routes for quarterback Matt Schaub before camp, got behind defensive backs C.C. Brown, Will Demps and Fred Bennett to make a magnificent catch on a long pass down the sideline. Schaub's pass was perfectly thrown. Watching that play made me wonder how good they can be if both are healthy this season.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/07/b...as_texans.html
That's both good news and BAD. Great to see Schaub and AJ hooking up so quick, but by the same token I wonder how that bodes for C.C. Brown, Will Demps and Fred Bennett???
Old 07-25-2008   #38
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
That's both good news and BAD. Great to see Schaub and AJ hooking up so quick, but by the same token I wonder how that bodes for C.C. Brown, Will Demps and Fred Bennett???
AJ will torch any secondary... The point being made is that AJ's knee is fine! that's great news.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #39
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Exact same thing I was thinking.

Hey, good job Andre and Matt. What the hell are you doing Will, CC, and Fred??!!
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #40
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
AJ will torch any secondary... The point being made is that AJ's knee is fine! that's great news.
That was most of the reason I pointed it out. It is great news.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Exact same thing I was thinking.

Hey, good job Andre and Matt. What the hell are you doing Will, CC, and Fred??!!
Here's what Big Brown had to say. It sounds like both sides of the ball had their hands full at times.

Quote:
“Both sides of the ball are working hard. It’s great competition,” Brown said. “The offense was able to move the ball and the defense got some stops. We’re making each other better.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4421

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read