Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-02-2008   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A snippet on Molden from PFW

our db's improve automatically with the D-Line kicking butt turning them into playmakers

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #22
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
Molden will most likely make the team but not be activated on game days for the first part of the season. When he does get activated, he will probably only play on special teams.
I'd be willing to bet my car that, if he's not injured, Molden will be activated for every single game this year.

There is already talk that he is pushing Jacques Reeves for a starting spot.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #23
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bennett was able to contribute as a rookie in part because he had a lot of experience against top competition in college. He started 34 games against teams like Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Clemson. 36 of his 48 college games were in front of crowds bigger than Reliant Stadium will hold. With all that going for him, Bennett didn't play a down at corner until the fifth game and didn't start until the ninth game.

Molden only started 12 games in his college career at Eastern Kentucky, a Division 1AA team. That is at the same level that Sam Houston, SFA, and Texas State play at. He was a backup for 3 years before finally starting his senior year. That is not the typical resume for a rookie who is going to see a lot of playing time. Usually guys who play right away were starters for at least two full seasons in college.

Don't get me wrong. Molden has all the physical tools and if Rick Smith thought he was worth a third round pick then I'm sure he will have a good future with the Texans. But anyone thinking he will make a big contribution this year might be expecting a little too much. Molden will most likely make the team but not be activated on game days for the first part of the season. When he does get activated, he will probably only play on special teams. A problem for Molden is that he will probably be comfortable enough to play corner around the middle of the season, but that is when Dunta Robinson is supposed to come back. So just when Molden might be ready to pass up Fletcher or Faggins on the depth chart, that guy will be getting cut anyway to make room for Robinson on the roster and Molden will find himself as the low man on the totem poll again.

Of course, injuries could speed up the timetable for Molden getting playing time...but I find it hard to believe that a guy who had problems beating out non-NFL caliber guys at Eastern Kentucky as a sophomore and junior will be able to beat out NFL veterans as a rookie.
Well put first part for sure. My only thing is you have more optimism then I do about Dunta's injury recovery timetable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I'd be willing to bet my car that, if he's not injured, Molden will be activated for every single game this year.

There is talk, but until I hear it coming from Kubiak or someone on the defensive staff that he is pushing Reeves for a starting spot, then I'd say the talk has substance to it. Until then hype and conjecture.

Unless injuries occur or Dunta not only makes it back but is in game shape I'm going to say Reeves and Bennett will be our starting Duo. I think Molden will be worked into the Nickel slowly over the course of the year unless he really is lightyears ahead of where a DIV AA rookie CB should be NFL wise.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #24
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:

You do know that Bennett wasn't active for every game last year, right?
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #25
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103671 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My first question is what kind of car do you have?

Even if there is talk of Molden pushing for a starting spot, it's a bit hard for me to pay any attention to that kind of stuff considering were talking about a small school guy whose next time wearing pads at an NFL practice will be his first.

Anyone taken in the top-half of the draft that doesn't look pretty darn studly wearing shorts at Mini-camp and OTA's is probably in for a world of trouble.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see this guy as a really good starting NFL Cornerback down the road, but it's tough for me to start making anything more than modest assumptions about where he will be in his first season.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #26
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You do know that Bennett wasn't active for every game last year, right?
Didn't know that. Hey, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last.

But this year is a bit different than last. Last year we had a highly rated starting corner on one side (D-Rob). This year, not so much.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #27
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I'm sure Bennett will be happy to hear of your unparalelled support. As far as Molden goes, I think the closer he is to replacing Faggins in the lineup the better it will be for the Texans. Unfortunately all the early pre camp hype and chatter will fall by the wayside once the pads goes on and we get a better look at what we got for our 3rd round pick. The bar will be raised exponentially for all of our roookies compared to what they faced at the college level. I think Physically he has the skills, but the mental toughness and willingness to work hard at learning the defense will determine what potential alot of our young guys have this year. Overall I think I like the pool of talent we have on our team this year. We just seem to improve each year and it's gonna be very exciting! Molden, Adibi, Okam, Brown, Moffit , Barber, and Slaton all look very promissing. My hats off to Rick Smith once again. I really can't wait.
Old 07-07-2008   #28
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
A lot of publications have deemed Molden our best pickup this offseason, though usually not in a good fashion. Something along the lines of..."The Texans haven't done much to improve outside of acquiring Molden."

For the record, I'm willing to bet that Molden will play better than Bennet after Week 8.
Yeah, and they said that a couple of years ago after we took Mario #1. We are having a tough time getting credibility because of the terrible Drafts we had in 2003 & 2004 (Discounting AJ, of course).

I don't want Molden to play better than Bennet has, I just want both of them to turn out to be shut down corners for years to come.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #29
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Somebody has to play the nickel and the dime. I don't care who it is as long as it is better than it was last season. Every DB will give up the big play every now and again. Just like Dunta did against the Titans last season. I just don't want every team be able to switch to a passing game and light us up because they can't run on our frount four. Their is no reason for a team, like Buffalo to light us up for two 84 yard TDs. Our D-line should be better this season. Thus giving our DBs a shorter amount of time to have to hold their man. I stand by my weakest link theory. Even if the last man on the team is better than last years last man, we are better. If we can improve the weak link at several positions, the team will improve. With our history of being in the top five in injuries, depth is a key to our success. We have better depth than we have ever had before.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008   #30
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Molden can take Faggins' spot as nickelback by the end of the season and that sounds good to me. I'm tired of watching Faggins get beat. I like the chances of him becoming a starter one day.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read