Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-26-2008   #1
ATXan
Rookie

Default Sounds like Cedric Benson is coming to Houston

I know I never post here but I have some info I think some people would like to know. Cedric Benson is a client at a place were I work and he was just in today. He was talking about the teams that he is talking with and the one that is closest to reaching a deal is Houston Texans. So what do you think.
ATXan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sounds like Cedric Benson is coming to Houston

I'll take it with a grain of salt until I see some type of official word.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #3
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope it's not true.

He hasn't shown much in the NFL on the field. I hope Smith takes a pass on him myself.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #4
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I'll take it with a grain of salt until I see some type of official word.
What he said.
I don't see it. Got more RBs than we'll be able to keep in Sept. as it is.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #5
Toro59
Rookie

Not the type of character Smith would sign. He's a little smarter that that... Hopefully
Toro59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #6
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

I will believe it when I see it. If it does go down... I have all the trust in the world in Rick Smith and our negotiators. We do have 2 running backs in Ahman Green and Chris Brown who haven't been able to stay on the field recently. I guess if the price is right (see Rick Smith comment above), it couldnt hurt to have him for insurance. But again, probably wont happen.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

lets just suppose it is true, how does he fit under the cap? would that be the end of Green? Benson, Brown & Slayton none of which has played a down as a Texan, would Rick & Kubiak shake things up that much?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-26-2008   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXan View Post
I know I never post here but I have some info I think some people would like to know. Cedric Benson is a client at a place were I work and he was just in today. He was talking about the teams that he is talking with and the one that is closest to reaching a deal is Houston Texans. So what do you think.
Hmmm.

On one hand, the Texans don't like * for brains. Especially ones who have rumors about them about being a bighead that doesn't work hard.

On the other hand, the Texans

coaches are friends with people on the UT staff so can talk about him some,

the current Texans running back group doesn't blow your doors off,

Smith has said that he likes good character guys but is also willing to give people second chances.

Smith likes to throw players at positions of weakness and see if they can become positions of strength.

Benson I am guessing would like to be in some more familiar environs.

Interesting rumor.
Old 06-26-2008   #9
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Heck, if the Texans sign him they should let him get drunk before the games. He can't run worth a damn sober. Maybe he can hit the holes faster after a few beers!

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #10
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I'm sure that a guy with two recent alcohol-related arrests, who is proven to be lazy, and doesn't have the kind of burst that fits the ZBS is about to sign with the Houston Texans. Sorry, but I have to call BS here.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #11
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it sucks. I'd rather go to camp with the retreads that we have now than add Benson.

He's never impressed me. So said, here are some snippets from an nice piece regarding Benson that I found yesterday on the Fox Sports website.

http://chi.scout.com/2/764573.html

Benson made the offense way too predictable most of last season
Cedric Benson was always a poor blocker in pass protection and an even worse receiver out of the backfield, which forced offensive coordinator Ron Turner to use Adrian Peterson in obvious passing situations. As a result, enemy defenses knew exactly what to expect based on the personnel in the Chicago backfield. If Benson was in the game, more often that not he was going to get the ball; if Peterson was in the game, more often than not it was going to be a pass.

Don't care for that. I think that we're finally at a point where the ZBS will help mitigate our opponents abilities to read what we're doing. Last thing we need is something that will show our hand.

Fellow first-round flop Michael Haynes was asked about Benson recently by the Chicago Sun-Times, and he did not pull many punches on the subject. Haynes said that Benson was lazy with his workout regimen, not a hard worker in practice, and used to being coddled by his coaches, which instantly put him at odds with the majority of his teammates in the locker room the 36-day contract holdout that caused him to miss all of training camp his rookie year didn't help either. In hindsight, trading Thomas Jones to the Jets, fresh off back-to-back 1,200-yard seasons on the ground, seems ludicrous since Benson did almost nothing to earn the starting job.

Ummmmmm...... sounds great.

Most of the players have said all the right things when asked about Benson both before and after he was waived by the organization. But if you take a minute to read between the lines, it's not hard to figure out that he was never very popular amongst his teammates and did little to endear himself to the Windy City community. Whether he was boasting about how fast he would leapfrog Jones on the depth chart, leaving the sideline early during a preseason game, or getting arrested back in Texas on two alcohol-related charges

So, we might sign an underperforming, lazy RB who lacks motivation and can't start his car without blowing into a breathalyzer first? Hard for me to get fired up about that.
Old 06-26-2008   #12
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

does this mean there goona bring in VY also, can't help but wonder how good he would have at texas with out VY. i hope this isn't true. hell, the cowboys haven't even signed him.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Yeah, I'm sure that a guy with two recent alcohol-related arrests, who is proven to be lazy, and doesn't have the kind of burst that fits the ZBS is about to sign with the Houston Texans. Sorry, but I have to call BS here.
I think at this point, we are supposed to talk about beggars and choosers.

Signed,
Ron Dayne, Sam Gado, that ex-Raider RB whose name I forget how to spell

It would be a minor surprise to me, but not a major one if it happened.

Smith said some interesting things during the draft process about character and wanting to find out the real situations with players. Ankle bracelet guys are typically not who Smith targets, but you never know what sort of looksee Smith might want to take for a position where you hope that Alex Gibbs can fix through what he does on the line.

He's not my choice, but then again, the Chicago situation with their offense was a bit of a cluster. Hard to say exactly what you are getting with Benson.
Old 06-26-2008   #14
Toro59
Rookie

It really is a slow news day
Toro59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #15
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a hard time believing this could be true. I will just take the believe it when I see it approach.

I don't like the character issues he has stacking up for sure, and we know the FO doesn't dig it, so Cedric has got some 'splaining to do to sell this one.
Old 06-26-2008   #16
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
don't buy it, sorry

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #17
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nay, Nay, I thousand times NAY! I am not impressed with him, on and off the field.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #18
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did Toro get fired?
Showtime100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

There are some who believe that the Benson-Bears fit was bad from the start. That they started off wrong and it was a bad situation. There's some who believe that not only that he was immature, but he was also homesick.

See e.g.:

Cedric Benson, Bears never a good fit

Quote:
Cornwell and Benson's agent, Eugene Parker, now have the task of finding employment for a running back coming off ankle surgery, two alcohol-related arrests and enough baggage to need a valet. Somebody will sign Benson, whether it's the familiar Houston Texans or the halfway home for troubled millionaires known as the Dallas Cowboys. First-round draft picks always get second, and sometimes third chances in the NFL.

He simply ran out of chances in Chicago, and the Bears ran out of patience.

They will miss him like a migraine headache. Even before the arrests, Benson was no lock to make the roster. His failure forced the team to draft another running back, Matt Forte, in the second round to replace him. Adrian Peterson can provide a serviceable effort as Forte's backup. Garrett Wolfe needs to progress.

If the Bears find a suitable veteran off an NFL scrap heap and want to take a look, great. If not, it's not like a backup running back is going to make a difference between 7-9 and 5-11.

In the end, that's all Benson was: a backup running back. He wasn't built like one or paid like one, but he ran like one.

That makes him arguably the biggest draft bust in Bears history, a Texas-sized miscalculation bigger than any other the franchise has made.
The Texans would be a good place for Benson to get a new start. Familiar, no dominant running back, a nice offensive system, QB is not an issue, Kubiak is good at getting well paid guys into become more team guys, to prepare like professionals.

Whether the Texans think he has anything to offer and is worth the project, is a different question.
Old 06-26-2008   #20
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bring him into camp on an incentive laden deal. Evaluate his attitude and work ethic etc. for yourself. We have two fragile every down backs (does that make them every other down backs that combine to an every down back?) and two 3rd down backs.

Don't give him a chance but make him earn it. He's still a kid and may have been humbled. So long as the contract is performance based, cut him the minute he starts pulling stupid shit. If we had a ground game we could count on this is a much different team. I'm not saying hes a franchise back. I'm not saying he's not. I'm saying sometimes talent is burried under layers and layers of ego. You don't bring a guy like him in on his terms, you do it on yours. I think it would be worth a shot as long as he has come to the realization that he's not the man here.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read