Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-30-2008   #1
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits Friday

Per Rotoworld.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #2
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 53235 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Default Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.

Another Denver dude...
brakos82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #3
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Chris Brown has much to fear from Mike Bell, but I do wish he would get off his ass and start practicing instead of doping off on the sideline with back spasms. He won't shed his nickname of "glassman" doing that.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #4
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I don't think Chris Brown has much to fear from Mike Bell, but I do wish he would get off his ass and start practicing instead of doping off on the sideline with back spasms. He won't shed his nickname of "glassman" doing that.
So you're saying they're just bringing Bell in to motivate Brown? It's not like they can sign Bell without cutting someone. The roster is at 80, and that can't change unless there's some rule I don't know about.

So, if Bell shows up and looks great - I think Brown might actually have something to fear.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 07-30-2008   #5
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Walker should be more concerned...despite his good showing in camp to this point.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
This should be expected from signing anyone with a history of injuries. Chris Brown does have talent, but if he can't stay upright what difference does it make?

Bell has done time at FB and RB in the ZBS, so I imagine that's why they want to take a look at him.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
This should be expected from signing anyone with a history of injuries. Chris Brown does have talent, but if he can't stay upright what difference does it make?

Bell has done time at FB and RB in the ZBS, so I imagine that's why they want to take a look at him.
It was said earlier in this thread - Bell's time at FB for the Bronco's wasn't chock full of success by anyone's definition, and after a shoulder injury, his game in total was pretty ineffective.

I don't see Bell making this team if they bring him in, but if he's an able body, that in itself may give him an edge over Chris Brown right now!
Old 07-30-2008   #8
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I think Walker should be more concerned...despite his good showing in camp to this point.
Nah, that would set a horrible precedent. There's no way they'd cut Walker at this early stage in favor of Mike Bell, especially with Brown hurt. If all the RBs were healthy and practicing, and they brought Bell in - then I would agree Walker might be the one in more trouble... but the coaches wouldn't slap DW in the face like that. Not six days in.

The only other thing I guess would be if the Texans knew they were going to cut a certain player at a different position - and don't think that they have to bring in another position to fill the void... for example - safety. I think we have seven right now. They could probably cut one without having to bring in another.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 07-30-2008   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
It was said earlier in this thread - Bell's time at FB for the Bronco's wasn't chock full of success by anyone's definition, and after a shoulder injury, his game in total was pretty ineffective.

I don't see Bell making this team if they bring him in, but if he's an able body, that in itself may give him an edge over Chris Brown right now!
Yeah, pretty much. Bell is just getting a look see in case something horrible happens later.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #10
Tejasman
Rookie

Thumbs up Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.

I do not think GK/RS would bring in anybody that they did not think had a chance to improve the team.

Remember Mike Bell beat out Tatom Bell his rookie year.

I think that WR is also a possible cut back to make room for an additional RB.
Tejasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

to me this is just a sign that they aren't totally happy with their backs (the Texans are looking at a "group" of RB's - per rotoworld). If I had to guess, Brown is the player most on the hot seat. It may be unfair to Brown since he is supposedly injured but he looked old and slow when I got a peek at him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=22
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #13
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejasman View Post
I do not think GK/RS would bring in anybody that they did not think had a chance to improve the team.

Remember Mike Bell beat out Tatom Bell his rookie year.

I think that WR is also a possible cut back to make room for an additional RB.
Good call - we have 10 WRs and will probably only carry 4. Probably more likely to drop one of them than a safety.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 07-30-2008   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
...will probably only carry 4.
Really?

Carried 5 into Week 1 last year (plus 4 TEs).

Why is this year going to be different?
Old 07-30-2008   #15
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good call - we have 10 WRs and will probably only carry 4. Probably more likely to drop one of them than a safety.
You have 4 QBs in camp and you need WR for them to throw to.
Old 07-30-2008   #16
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Really?

Carried 5 into Week 1 last year (plus 4 TEs).

Why is this year going to be different?
Did they not carry 4 WRs for the vast majority of the year last year?

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 07-30-2008   #17
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
You have 4 QBs in camp and you need WR for them to throw to.
So you think it's more likely that they'd cut Brown in favor of Bell if Kubiak likes what he sees?

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 07-30-2008   #18
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I believe the times we dropped down to only 4 WRs, it was because AJ was on IR or JJ didn't dress out due to his shoulder.
I think we started out with AJ, AD, Mathis (soon cut), JJ, and KW.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 07-30-2008 at 09:00 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #19
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
to me this is just a sign that they aren't totally happy with their backs (the Texans are looking at a "group" of RB's - per rotoworld). If I had to guess, Brown is the player most on the hot seat. It may be unfair to Brown since he is supposedly injured but he looked old and slow when I got a peek at him.

I think they're happy with the group but certainly not with Brown. I think Brown will be gone by next weekend, judging by the way Kubiak talks about the situation and his body language and tone.

I think they are determined to be solid at RB no matter what happens this year. Partially because of Green's age and injury history, I think they've pre-determined to hit the season with 4 quality RBs and hopefully Walker on the practice squad. Mike Bell, if he works out well, would essentially be replacing CBrown, IMO.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #20
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I believe the times we dropped down to only 4 WRs, it was because AJ was on IR or JJ didn't dress out due to his shoulder.
I think we started out with AJ, AD, Mathis (soon cut), JJ, and KW.

They carried 5 for the vast majority of the season last year and 6 for at least 3 games in the middle of AJ's inactive status and after Jacoby went down. Never 4. \

Four active and 1 or 2 inactive for some games, yes, but I'm talking roster spots (which I think you were too). 'Carry' means on the 53 to me. And in that case 5 is kinda normal for Kubiak.

AJ wasn't on IR. That means gone for the season. He was on the 53 but on inactive game status for whatever amount of games that was....

Last edited by aj.; 07-30-2008 at 09:45 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read