Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-23-2008   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Eric Winston on the Texans, Alex Gibbs

Ever since I had the opportunity to have lunch at the team luncheon with him his rookie year, I've been pretty impressed with Eric Winston. Sometimes you meet with players, and you don't see much going on behind the eyes. (no, I won't name names). Winston obviously has some snap.

HT.com just posted an interview with him, and it certainly is yet another thing to get you hyped for the upcoming season.

Link to video with some thoughts over at FanHouse:

RT Eric Winston Discusses 2008 Texans, Line Guru Alex Gibbs: 'He's Awesome'

He says more than the awesome part. He talks about how Gibbs is generous with his information, and wants the linemen to understand what they are doing, not just act like robots (speculative hmmmm, maybe a very veiled reference to Sherman??? It took an injury to get Winston on the field his rookie year--it's pretty clear that Winston is a bit of a non-comformist--not a bad teammate but he just has his own mind about things.). Talks about the playoff expectations, some things about his teammates that played well coming off of the practice squad.

It's just nice hearing him talk about these things. Gives you a sense of him.
Old 06-23-2008   #2
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston on the Texans, Alex Gibbs

Season outlook:
Quote:
"you can't just winning the games at home and then going on the road and not playing well. ...we gotta find a way to get over that hump... ...gotta hold court at home and play .500 on the road; maybe better."
Personal Goals:
Quote:
"I want to see us have a 1500 yd rusher... ...if its not one guy I want to see us get 2000 yds as a team..."
I like it!
Thanks T.C., I was about to post this myself.
Old 06-23-2008   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I met Eric Winston at All Access his rookie year and was very impressed with how friendly he was with the fans. He ask me about my granddaughter's jersey, she had on a pink TEXAN one, said he wanted to get one for his girlfriend. He just smiled and chatted with her, she was nine at the time, and she still remembers him. Later, we were walking down the underground corridor and passed him. He stopped and chatted with us for a couple of minutes. I was blown away right then by his size!! That dude is HUGE!!! I liked his attitude then, and I like it now. He's becoming one of my fav TEXAN players.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to tell you folks that Myers played very well in Indy!

And I always appreciate all the information about the Texans!

(No, Myers is far from God). But I do like our chance up there. Better get use to the winning feelings!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #5
whiskeyrbl

Just as good watching it for the 3rd time. Thanx TC
Old 06-24-2008   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Thank you, for the video TC.
Old 06-24-2008   #7
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

As always good info TC.
Sponsored links
Old 06-24-2008   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Great interview. I like Winston a lot and he's quickly become one of my favorites. I find it hard limiting my favorite Texans to only a few, because I love the job Smith and Kubiak have done in bringing in really down to earth players.

The thing I like about Winston is his passion. He's a really smart guy, plays with a lot of passion and seems to be one of those guys Gibbs likes (he's fierce). He plays with a kind of aggressive tenacity. I think he's going to be a really great RT in this league.

Also, this guy is HUGE. He makes the other linemen (6'4, 6'5 kind of guys) look like middle schoolers!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Location: I live in a hole, but stay close to my kind, 'cause they understand what burns in my mind...
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw Winston at All Access this year, and the dude is just a giant.

I like his attitude, and hopefully that is indicative of the team's mindset right now. This o-line knows it is an improved product, but the national perception still lingers about being a sinkhole for sacks. The only way that they will shed that reputation will be for our offense to put up some respectable numbers and win some games. 2,000 yards rushing would be a great place to start.
Old 06-24-2008   #10
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually just watched that video yesterday or the day before. I thought it was very interesting also. Put me in the "impressed" category as well.

Old 06-25-2008   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Winston is probably the best young RT in the game today. Best one we got blocking in space on the second level or out on the edge.
Old 06-25-2008   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

Section: 636
Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

he's also great with a club.
Old 06-26-2008   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

good post TC. seems like only yesterday we're squabbling about not taking Winston in the 2nd rd. back in 06 (DeMeco Ryans, yeah that turned out rather well) then he was still there @ in the 3rd. rest as they say is history. Miami Hurricane players rule now we have Andre Johnson, Eric Winston & Chris Meyers.

y'all know I'm a big draft blogger so next year lets select-

Eric Moncur DE 6-2 252 to bookend Mario in the 3rd. rd

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont know how he does it, but it's crazy, his energy is innate, Pitts said. He doesnt drink a whole bunch of coffee and hes not Red Bulling it, drinking all kinds of things to get him going. He just wakes up and he is like a firecracker, but it's fun to me. I enjoy his energy. Hes out there always having fun, and all he wants is for us to get better.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4439

I dunno, but looks like Gibbs is only adding to his legend with his time here
in H-Town. Great coach, colorful, fascinatng character.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #15
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I know a lot of players do this, but today after practice Eric Winston walked the gauntlet of fans and signed what appeared to be everyones stuff. He was out there a long time and was very nice to the little kids.

He did not have to do that, he was tired and hot, and most likely would have like to have ridden the cart over to the showers.

BTW Dunta was coming down as I was leaving do much the same thing as Eric.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #16
kermit
Veteran

Rep Power: 553 kermit is a quality contributor and well respectedkermit is a quality contributor and well respectedkermit is a quality contributor and well respectedkermit is a quality contributor and well respectedkermit is a quality contributor and well respectedkermit is a quality contributor and well respectedkermit is a quality contributor and well respectedkermit is a quality contributor and well respectedkermit is a quality contributor and well respectedkermit is a quality contributor and well respectedkermit is a quality contributor and well respected

One would have to be impressed as so many players went right up the steps after practice and Winston stayed behind, just to reiterate what painkiller stated.
Looked like he signed everything he was asked to, smiled and spoke to folks.
Nice guy from what I saw.
By the SuperD, Sage did the same thing the next day.
kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #17
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Winston is becoming one of my favorites. I still can't figure out why he never got a shot at left tackle, but I'm very happy he's at RT.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I know a lot of players do this, but today after practice Eric Winston walked the gauntlet of fans and signed what appeared to be everyones stuff. He was out there a long time and was very nice to the little kids.

He did not have to do that, he was tired and hot, and most likely would have like to have ridden the cart over to the showers.

BTW Dunta was coming down as I was leaving do much the same thing as Eric.
Same go for Sage and Zgonina yesterday.
Old 07-30-2008   #19
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Same go for Sage and Zgonina yesterday.
Schaub was there for a time, he was grabbed by some team official and pulled through after about 5 to 10 minutes. He did not get to spend as much time as Winston did.

BTW Ray Rhodes signed a couple of things before the crowd had grown and seemed very pleasant to the autograph seekers.

Also Kris Brown made a quick dash and signed some stuff early.

I want to give credit where it is due. BTW the DL was under the tent signing for a long time. So the team is making a huge effort to be fan friendly and I know the kids will remember the player when he takes the time to talk to them.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The Texans have some decent guys.
JJ was also very good with kids last year as I recall.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read