Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-18-2008   #1
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who will be the #2 WR???

Who will it be?

Will Davis emerge even more than he did last year and be the TRUE #2 WR next to Johnson??

Or will Jacoby Jones look more like the guy that we saw in pre season and become the #2 guy?

My prediction is that Andre Davis will emerge and have an even better season than he did last year and become a true #2 WR as long as he stays healthy of course.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #2
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who will be the #2 WR???

Walter
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Depends on the situation.
Old 06-18-2008   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Walter
Welp, there ya go.

< End Thread >
Old 06-18-2008   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

None of the above, I think. I predict it will be AJ, of course, and then 2a, 2b, 2c, depending on the situation. They all bring something valuable to the field, so it makes sense to get them all on the field as much as possible, as the situation dictates. I don't think you can say that WR A is good enough that he should be on the field 75% of the snaps, and WR B is the #3 guy and gets most of the remainder.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Ryan Grice-Mullen! Take that to the bank!!!

*ducks punches*
Old 06-18-2008   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
None of the above, I think. I predict it will be AJ, of course, and then 2a, 2b, 2c, depending on the situation. They all bring something valuable to the field, so it makes sense to get them all on the field as much as possible, as the situation dictates. I don't think you can say that WR A is good enough that he should be on the field 75% of the snaps, and WR B is the #3 guy and gets most of the remainder.
When Johnson went down, I thought that Davis really stepped up and made big plays at the right times though. Walters was decent, but I think that he'll end up being the 4th option behind Jones.
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2008   #8
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty sure Kubiak has said several times that Walter will line up opposite AJ on 2 wide sets. So, if that is what you mean by #2, there is your answer. If you mean #2 in terms of production, I'm sure that will depend on a number of factors.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #9
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

The team is re-emphasizing the running game and you should expect this phase of the game to be slightly more than 50% of the plays. Walter is by far the most hard-nosed blocker among our wide receivers. He's almost like a small TE in this regard. He'll see the majority of plays on first and second down.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

As we are talking about a runningback-by-committee approach, I see us having a wide receiver-by-committe approach as well. Johnson will be the obvious #1 all the time but for the #2, I see them switching out guys throughout the game depending on the situation.

However, for the depth chart and to start the game (snap 1), I think it will be Walter. Although, whoever starts the game as #2 doesn't mean they will see more playing time than the others. I think a lot will depend on the matchup against the other teams LB's and Secondaries... and the situation(s) we're in during the game as to who is the best option is to use.

In terms of #2 production (fantasy football), I see Davis having more production than Jones or Walter. I see Johnson having a breakout year... I'm spending my 3rd rd pick on him

I'd like to see some two back formations with Brown and Slaton and then pushing Slaton out in the slot sometimes. Think about the options we can have with some sort of reverse with A. Johnson, A. Davis, J. Jones and S. Slaton all on the field at the same time.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #11
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree that Walter will see the most action.

His toughness, blocking and reliability will see him through. The others have more 'pop' to their game but that isn't what you necessarily need in a good #2.
Old 06-18-2008   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Agree that Walter will see the most action.

His toughness, blocking and reliability will see him through. The others have more 'pop' to their game but that isn't what you necessarily need in a good #2.

I'll go along with this, but I do think we'll see some more out of Davis and JJ this year. If Gibbs can perk up the running game, our already potent passing game will just get better.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #13
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

With the team running as much as we expect at this point in time, we also know AJ is going to be the #1 read on almost every passing play. If he stays healthy, you can expect him to have well over 100 receptions. If any other receiver has 50 receptions, it will be a standout season. The edge will go to the "possession" receiver - the guy who doesn't drop the chances he does have. Walter is a "possession" receiver.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
As we are talking about a runningback-by-committee approach, I see us having a wide receiver-by-committe approach as well. Johnson will be the obvious #1 all the time but for the #2, I see them switching out guys throughout the game depending on the situation.

However, for the depth chart and to start the game (snap 1), I think it will be Walter. Although, whoever starts the game as #2 doesn't mean they will see more playing time than the others. I think a lot will depend on the matchup against the other teams LB's and Secondaries... and the situation(s) we're in during the game as to who is the best option is to use.

In terms of #2 production (fantasy football), I see Davis having more production than Jones or Walter. I see Johnson having a breakout year... I'm spending my 3rd rd pick on him

I'd like to see some two back formations with Brown and Slaton and then pushing Slaton out in the slot sometimes. Think about the options we can have with some sort of reverse with A. Johnson, A. Davis, J. Jones and S. Slaton all on the field at the same time.
Now this is a good post.

I agree with you on Davis. With those back to back KR's and big plays down the field last year, I think that he'll do a lot more of that if Johnson stays healthy.

And I totally agree with your ideas on the reverses. Johnson, Jones, Slaton, and Davis can all make good reverse plays and fake reverse plays to freeze the defense as well. Personally I would love to see the team have Slaton in on pass plays all of the time. I'm a big fan of two back formations especially if you have an elusive guy like Slaton. I've said before that I didn't think Slaton will be that great of a player, but if they use him on a lot of screen passes and throw him out there in the slot quite a bit as well as on running plays than the potential of him being a really good player has much higher chances.
Old 06-18-2008   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

With AJ and JJ healthy for the whole season, it's hard to imagine Davis' production can increase from last year.
It's also hard to imagine that Walter's production can increase.

Especially if we gonna use Slaton some in the slot or as a receiver out of the back field.

It's anybody's guess, IMO.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #16
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

I do expect a lot of three and four receiver sets from the texans this year . I do not like walter as a receiver at all , he has no speed and shows no yards after catch , you may as well start mario as a wide out . Thats just my opinion !
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #17
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
I do expect a lot of three and four receiver sets from the texans this year . I do not like walter as a receiver at all , he has no speed and shows no yards after catch , you may as well start mario as a wide out . Thats just my opinion !
Mario at WR?? A little bit of a stretch ha? I tend to agree with you though. Walter is more of a blocker, and move the chains kind of guy. I think that JJ and Davis have a lot more to bring as far as making plays and potential. I would like to see Slaton catching as many short passes as possible though.
Old 06-18-2008   #18
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not like Walter's Presence when AJ went down was a shrinking violet. People want to rightfully so talk about Davis stepping up but so did KW.

I'm not going to pimp him as a complete #2 but I think considering overall his game and what this offense wants to do I imagine him being a pretty hard guy to get off the field. I do think we'll see lot of different formations this year because we're going to have a deep WR corps and I see no reason why we shouldn't utilize them.

Getting our running game is one thing but if whomever is ready to go at LT when the season starts and getting our RBs to help on blitz pickup could see a much more expanded passing game.

In all honesty I don't care who gets the #2 label but I have confidence that whomever is asked upon for a game to step up is more then capable of doing so.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't back this up with stats 'cause I'm to lazy, but a lot of my memories of Walter from last year was catching a lot of 1st down passes on 3 & 8 and 3 & 10, stuff like that. He always seemed to get clear enough to catch the ball, get the 1st down, and then get tackled.

That's a pretty valuable trait, really.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I can't back this up with stats 'cause I'm to lazy, but a lot of my memories of Walter from last year was catching a lot of 1st down passes on 3 & 8 and 3 & 10, stuff like that. He always seemed to get clear enough to catch the ball, get the 1st down, and then get tackled.

That's a pretty valuable trait, really.
That's very true. If I don't keep making 3rd down catches to move the chains, Randy Moss isn't getting those 25 TD catches
signed Wes Welker

OBTW, Kevin Walter had a better YPC average (12.3) than Welker (10.5) and Walter's long was 46 yds and Welker's was 42. And our offense isn't a throw-first scheme like the Patriots' is.

A.J. and K.W. are the best blockers of all our WRs. As such, they will start (and probably get more snaps) in our run-first offense, just like Ole Miss said.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read