Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Eric Winston and Owen Daniels

Tight end Daniels is solid but I do not expect him to command much of an increase. As valuable as a receiving TE that can block is, Smith will remind OD where he was selected and say "we'll give you a decent deal and you can play here where you belong." OD will take the offer.

Winston is a bit different to me. He has eliminated any concern at RT and should be offered a pretty good increase to lock him in for another 4-5 years.

agree about winston. you don't let him hit the market, give him what he deserves. as for daniels............... i like him, but on the cheap

agree about winston. you don't let him hit the market, give him what he deserves. as for daniels............... i like him, but on the cheap

We're going to be around 35 million under the cap next off-season. That money, much of it, will go to :

re-signing Dunta, hopefully

and then extending these guys:
ODaniels
Pitts
Winston
Walter
Demeco

and maybe one or two others...

I don't see this organization being tight with its guys in order to spend in FA. I think the players that show ability and have the attitude Kubes is looking for, they'll be here for a long time. At least, that's my sense for how business is going to be done here.

As much as we all like Owen Daniels, he's not a special or elite tight end by any means. The reason he looks so good to us is because pre-Daniels we had almost no production from the tight end position. Billy Miller was the only other notable receiving tight end in the history of our franchise. OD is a good player and he can be a very good player for us but I think there are other tight ends like him around the league. I don't think OD will ask and exorbitant amount of money, but if the Texans brass feels like he will then let him go. But I see OD as an integral part of our passing game the next few years unless we manage to get someone better than him.

We're going to be around 35 million under the cap next off-season. That money, much of it, will go to :

re-signing Dunta, hopefully

and then extending these guys:
ODaniels
Pitts
Winston
Walter
Demeco

and maybe one or two others...

I don't see this organization being tight with its guys in order to spend in FA. I think the players that show ability and have the attitude Kubes is looking for, they'll be here for a long time. At least, that's my sense for how business is going to be done here.

agreed.

What do Eric Wiston and Owen Daniels need to do to make me happy ?

As much as we all like Owen Daniels, he's not a special or elite tight end by any means. The reason he looks so good to us is because pre-Daniels we had almost no production from the tight end position. Billy Miller was the only other notable receiving tight end in the history of our franchise. OD is a good player and he can be a very good player for us but I think there are other tight ends like him around the league. I don't think OD will ask and exorbitant amount of money, but if the Texans brass feels like he will then let him go. But I see OD as an integral part of our passing game the next few years unless we manage to get someone better than him.

The dude had the 6th most yards of any TE last year. He also had the 6th most catches for a first down. The only guys better were Gonzalez, Witten, Winslow, Gates, and Cooley. Almost 150 more yards than Shockey and Dallas Clark. Of the TE's in the top 10 in yardage, only Gates and Cooley had more yards per catch.

Unfortunately, he had twice the number of fumbles as any of his nearest competitors.

If he can fix that fumbling issue, he's an elite TE.

Wow. Usually when you talk about the Texans, it's who do you let go so that you can find something better to fit that spot, not what do you pay to keep them. I'm glad they have this problem. Both guys are doing well and should get their just pay bumps, but I don't think either one should be getting top dollar. We're still 8-8, and neither one of these guys have made the pro-bowl. Yet.

OPEN Daniels is the $hit! (other than the whole fumble thing).

I expect us to pay him as well as our other staple guys what they deserve. McNair will pay to win. it's just never been an option before.

I think that in the style of offense we run.. a complete TE like Owen Daniels is very important.

He is also young..and still has alot of upside.

I think we should give him a significant payout. Im not saying we should make him the highest paid TE in the league.. but he has been playing like a top 10 TE for us since we drafted him...so I think he deserves top 10 money.. and considering the previously mentioned necessity of a good TE in our offense, and the fact that he is young.. I think we should offer him money on the top 5 side of the top 10..rather than the bottom 5.

Of course..id expect to see some improvements on his ball handling.

The dude had the 6th most yards of any TE last year. He also had the 6th most catches for a first down. The only guys better were Gonzalez, Witten, Winslow, Gates, and Cooley. Almost 150 more yards than Shockey and Dallas Clark. Of the TE's in the top 10 in yardage, only Gates and Cooley had more yards per catch.

Unfortunately, he had twice the number of fumbles as any of his nearest competitors.

Exactly,

I know people want Owen Daniels on the cheap (so they try to devalue his ability), but he has value too and is going to cost a little coin. The guy is one of the best young receiving TEs in the game, and is the best to come out of his draft (the same draft the phenom Vernon Davis came out of).

His only problem is his fumbles and if he can fix that, he's going to be a big piece to the puzzle on this team going forward and making/winning playoff games......so the Texans need to pay him.

no doubt, this year will determine if he has the fumble bug or if it was just a fluke. if he turns it around... $$$ 6th best TE should get top 5 money.

if needed I'd overpay a little for both. hopefully however Rick Smith gets a fair contract extension from each player to stay & be a part of something special :wesmantexanfan:

Tight end Daniels is solid but I do not expect him to command much of an increase. As valuable as a receiving TE that can block is, Smith will remind OD where he was selected and say "we'll give you a decent deal and you can play here where you belong." OD will take the offer.
What makes you think he would take the offer? Just because Rick selected him, when other team passed on him on the other round? So because he was selected in the 4th round, that should be his value throughout his career? He performing much better then a 4th round player should be.

It's like saying Derek Anderson should be getting paided like a 6th round QB, instead like a pro-bowl QB. Who cares about how they perform in the last couple of seasons, it only matters where they were select right?

You play on a high level so you can be rewarded and recognized on a high level. There are some players that take less money to stay with a team, but OD is still young and haven't gotten a big contract yet. And I see him listening to his agent first and Rick Smith second. I guaranteed another team will offer him much more then a "decent" contract if we don't. Every year a team spend a high draft pick on a TE that can recieve good as well as block, like you said of OD. So why spend a draft pick when you can get a FA like OD who is already proven? We would end up losing OD if we try to lowball him an offer like you think RS would do.

Both players have shown enough to resign them to their second deals here....I don't think this is much of an issue since I can't see the team letting either player walk, but it's hard to keep coming up with something to write about in the long off-season I guess.

Neither guy strikes me as the "I want a top end great wonderful deal right now" type of guys. I don't think other teams are going to want to sign them away for costly 2nd round draft picks or more. I trust that Rick Smith would be able to make all parties happy with a decent contract that won't completely hamstring us money wise.

I'm sure if we have a really good season next year and show potential to be a real team, these guys might want to stay for a little bit cheaper and help build a winning franchise.

I'm hoping too that he can become an elite TE. Then he can make all the coin he wants to!

Dallas Clark re-signed with the Colts on a 6 year deal. The terms weren't disclosed, but I would guess that would be a starting point for Daniels. With guards getting $50 million deals, I would think Winston would be looking for a little more.

But with CBA expired, Winston would be a RFA until 2012 (or until a new CBA is in place). That should help keep the cost down on Winston, somewhat. And it shows just how well the owners negotiated the last CBA. How Gene Upshaw still has a job baffles me.

Both players have shown enough to resign them to their second deals here....I don't think this is much of an issue since I can't see the team letting either player walk, but it's hard to keep coming up with something to write about in the long off-season I guess.

It is in both players interest to hit the open market after the '11 off season. If their representatives are worth damn, that is what will happen. Uncapped year comes along once every seventy years. To miss that would be beyond stupid.

Our FO will really have to earn their money when our 06 draft picks like DeMeco, Winston, and Daniels play out their rookie contracts. They drafted well, now they've gotta make a decision. Do they lock these guys in to long term deals with a hefty price tag attached to make sure they're here for the rest of their prime ala AJ? Or do they let them walk because they're so confident in their ability to draft and coach up their replacements ala the Pats model?

Personally, I say pay them!!!

Our FO will really have to earn their money when our 06 draft picks like DeMeco, Winston, and Daniels play out their rookie contracts. They drafted well, now they've gotta make a decision. Do they lock these guys in to long term deals with a hefty price tag attached to make sure they're here for the rest of their prime ala AJ? Or do they let them walk because they're so confident in their ability to draft and coach up their replacements ala the Pats model?Personally, I say pay them!!!
They have choices to make. DeMeco is defeinately going to be kept.

They have choices to make. DeMeco is defeinately going to be kept.

That goes without saying, Winston as well albeit to a lesser extent. The only one that I could personally see them let walk is Daniels and that would only be if he got a big head and wanted Tommy Kelly largest contract for his position in NFL history type money.

Dallas Clark re-signed with the Colts on a 6 year deal. The terms weren't disclosed, but I would guess that would be a starting point for Daniels. With guards getting $50 million deals, I would think Winston would be looking for a little more.

But with CBA expired, Winston would be a RFA until 2012 (or until a new CBA is in place). That should help keep the cost down on Winston, somewhat. And it shows just how well the owners negotiated the last CBA. How Gene Upshaw still has a job baffles me.

I don't think it is as much about whether the owners got shellacked, or the players got too much with the 60% thing, as much as it is about the rookies being uncapped and making more than veterans with six years or more of service.

It is in both players interest to hit the open market after the '11 off season. If their representatives are worth damn, that is what will happen. Uncapped year comes along once every seventy years. To miss that would be beyond stupid.

An NFL football player doesn't have the luxury of looking forward to a payday that is 3 or 4 years away. Too many things can happen and careers are too short.

To many drops in critical situations IMO. Does anyone have his drop #'s.

I don't think it is as much about whether the owners got shellacked, or the players got too much with the 60% thing, as much as it is about the rookies being uncapped and making more than veterans with six years or more of service.

agree, you can only hope they do something about that. ykw left with alot of cash and that's about it.

To many drops in critical situations IMO. Does anyone have his drop #'s.

He's listed as having 5. That's tied for 16th with a bunch of other people. Of the TE's, Dallas Clark had 12, Winslow 8, , Gates and Gonzalez and Marcedes Lewis 5.

EDIT: OOPS... that's in the AFC alone. When you merge the two, I don't know where he works out. I'll see if I can find the stats and verify that my source is correct.

Don't know where he is in drops, but NFL.com lists him #1 in fumbles but #6 in receptions and 1st down catches.

He's earned an decently paid extension. 3TP is right, they may both wait for the uncapped year - if the owners are stupid enough to let that happen.

Unless we draft some super stud RT or TE they are not going anywhere. And drafting down around 30th-32nd next year I doubt we get those studs.

Back