Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 06-30-2008   #21
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AUSTIN fans! Where are we gonna watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
ideally i would agree. i know i always reference the packers but it's because i have detailed knowledge of their system since i married into one of their kind. billy's bar over on burnet and handcock is the kind of joint you are describing. the guy who owns it is a packer fan. it's a tiny bar and they pack it in. it's great.

the key to that though is that the owner is a packer fan. just like at shoal creek, the owner is a saints fan... i think you see where i'm going with this. you'd be hard pressed to find a houston texans fan in austin. much less one that happens to own a bar.

if one exists then it's a no brainer. until then, i vote to keep it at 3rd Base. ASSUMING YA'LL SHOW UP. (which i lost faith in last year.) Big Wig was right.

anyways, I vote to keep it there because if you keep changing it up every year nobody knows where to go. (other than those of us who are obsessive and check the message board 5 times a day) on good days there were 20 or 30 people there that i didn't know and had no idea how they knew about the back room at 3rd base.

speaking of the back room, that's kind of the main reason i'd like to keep it there until we find a Texans owned bar. Having that back room to ourselves (IF YA'LL SHOW UP) kind of gives us that "bar of our very own" kind of feel. That and again, it's centrally located. I think that's key. We've got fans spread all over town. If it's too far north the south austin guys have to travel twice as far and visa versa if it's too far south.

If the people turn out, we can turn any medium sized bar into HT central. we were plenty loud for the Carolina game.

as for Nitro vs. The GM... that's appalling to me. I'd like to think someone who is connected could bully this dolt into doing exactly what we tell him.
Let us keep it at Third Base. I feel like the Texans crowd "owns" that place. They gave us good support, because we gave them good support. I think we have some leverage, at least enough to convince Management to do the intelligent thing and turn on one of the toobs to closed captioning.

As far as my attending every week (no one came out after me personally, so i want to be clear that i did not take it as such), I can tell you all right now, I will not be there every week. I think a little north of 50%, closing in on 75% is about right for me, given my family duties. Spec has met my fam, he knows how much I groove on em. It's a blessing and an obligation, one i am happy to uphold.

Point is: folks have responsibilities to tend to. The key to success at 3B, to plant the Texans flag and hold the turf for us, is to reach a sort of "critical mass". If 50% of that mass turns out each week, then we "rock the house, big time." (/quote of squirrelly Russian dude on the Visa commercial)

The Carolina game was absolutely insane. I mean SICKLY insane. Shoulder to shoulder. Beer everywhere. People standing on chairs. It might be unreasonable to expect that every week, but if we can get 4 of those games, plus a "high hum" on most of the weeks, I would dare call that a rousing success.

Let's hold the turf. Let's hold 3B.

best,
rick
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008   #22
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
Let us keep it at Third Base. I feel like the Texans crowd "owns" that place. They gave us good support, because we gave them good support. I think we have some leverage, at least enough to convince Management to do the intelligent thing and turn on one of the toobs to closed captioning.

As far as my attending every week (no one came out after me personally, so i want to be clear that i did not take it as such), I can tell you all right now, I will not be there every week. I think a little north of 50%, closing in on 75% is about right for me, given my family duties. Spec has met my fam, he knows how much I groove on em. It's a blessing and an obligation, one i am happy to uphold.

Point is: folks have responsibilities to tend to. The key to success at 3B, to plant the Texans flag and hold the turf for us, is to reach a sort of "critical mass". If 50% of that mass turns out each week, then we "rock the house, big time." (/quote of squirrelly Russian dude on the Visa commercial)

The Carolina game was absolutely insane. I mean SICKLY insane. Shoulder to shoulder. Beer everywhere. People standing on chairs. It might be unreasonable to expect that every week, but if we can get 4 of those games, plus a "high hum" on most of the weeks, I would dare call that a rousing success.

best,
rick

we need to keep Barrett's fat *ss off those chairs though!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008   #23
3rd and Inches
NFL's La Migra

Rep Power: 1035 3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to 3rd and Inches Send a message via MSN to 3rd and Inches Send a message via Yahoo to 3rd and Inches

Unfortunately, I can't do the bar thing, as much as I'd love to. I will probably be having a couple of BBQ/Cookouts during the season at my house if anyone wants to come.

I got a 60" LCD HDTV with surround sound.. and y'all are more than welcome to bring brews for yourselves if need be.
Old 07-01-2008   #24
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

best,
rick
The Carolina game was amazing at 3B. I still can't get over how incredibly loud it was. A rousing road win against a favored opponent will do that. When the Texans got that special teams TD after causing a fumble on one of the kickoffs, it was unclear whether or not the TD would stand - but man, when the ref said "after further review, it is a touchdown" that place positively exploded!!

Definitely one of the highlights of the season.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #25
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Where is the 3rd Base located?

Last edited by Hook'er; 07-01-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Hook'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #26
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Just west of downtown Austin - right at the edge of West 6th before Mopac. Ample, free parking, tons of TVs, pretty easy to find and get to.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #27
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

best,
rick
You have an awsome family Rick, and your son is a wildman with lots of energy and I am sure it is a full time juob keeping up with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
we need to keep Barrett's fat *ss off those chairs though!
Is it 3 chairs now that are on IR?
Sponsored links
Old 07-01-2008   #28
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Rep Power: 936 ATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respected

Im totally down for meeting up for the games in Austin. We should get some shirts made. Yeah I know im a dork but I think it would be cool. Maybe with our handle on it as well, in battle red of course.
ATRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #29
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

can we get a car pool from the cedar park/leander area if this goes down at 3rd BASE????????
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #30
Mean Machine
Veteran

Rep Power: 114 Mean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respected

I think 3rd base sounds pretty decent, but....I think it would be great to find a place that is ALL ours, I don't want to be even around cowboy fan, and anytime, we play at 3pm and dallas plays at 3pm, which will happen a couple of times this season, you know who will be pushed to the back.

We just need a place where it's TEXANS fans...Ohio State has taken over Sam's Boat, the Saints have shoal creek saloon, we need our own place.

Just my thoughts, but nevertheless, would like to meet up somewheres with Centex TEXANS fans
sec 637: Gridiron, Texas.
Mean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #31
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRAIN View Post
Im totally down for meeting up for the games in Austin. We should get some shirts made. Yeah I know im a dork but I think it would be cool. Maybe with our handle on it as well, in battle red of course.
That kind of dorkiness speaks to my soul!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #32
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Rep Power: 936 ATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Machine View Post
I think 3rd base sounds pretty decent, but....I think it would be great to find a place that is ALL ours, I don't want to be even around cowboy fan, and anytime, we play at 3pm and dallas plays at 3pm, which will happen a couple of times this season, you know who will be pushed to the back.

We just need a place where it's TEXANS fans...Ohio State has taken over Sam's Boat, the Saints have shoal creek saloon, we need our own place.

Just my thoughts, but nevertheless, would like to meet up somewheres with Centex TEXANS fans
We need to find the owner of a bar that is a Texans fan. Anyone have any ideas or connections?
Old 07-02-2008   #33
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 926 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
That kind of dorkiness speaks to my soul!

I'm the Dork that can set you up! Let me know!
Old 07-02-2008   #34
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I'm all the way in Del Valle but I'd love to join you two. Is this just a two person sort of thing or would you like to have some additional loud Texans fans with you?

I have a place but it's lonesome all by my self on gamedays. You should see the looks that I get sometimes screaming with nobody around me. You should know. We've met.

All I want is one tv with the closed captioning on. I know Pluckers will comply. Just one single TV. The rest do not have to have them on. Just one.
The more the merrier!

I just now saw your post Nitro, sorry for the delayed response. I usually only go out if the game is not going to be on local channels. I a broke down and got the ticket last year a few games in and then even couldn't get one game with the ticket, I think that is the time I bumped into HookinReds. It was not a planned event, but there was him and a couple other Texans fans there as well. Point is, you are more than welcome to join me or anyone for that matter, I am sure the close captioning would not be an issue at all, the bartenders/managers are cool there. But I usually only leave the house if the game is not on local TV. I am not getting the ticket this year, that's for sure. I could certainly plan on meeting up there though even if the game is on locally, just to enjoy the atmosphere and get some awesome wings. Let's keep that idea handy as the season gets closer.

As far as 3rd Base and the big gathering, I went to the Season Opener last year and had a great time, it was a ton of fun, and I had a blast meeting a bunch of posters and high fiving, etc. But as much fun as it is, I just can't make it downtown that much, maybe once per season. Between the kids, my wife, a few trips to Houston for home games that takes care of most of our getting out on Sundays. And when I do, it's pretty darn convenient and cheap to go down the street to Pluckers.
Old 07-02-2008   #35
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflnutswife View Post
I'm the Dork that can set you up! Let me know!
Nice!!! I wonder if the Texanstalk powers would let us use the name on the shirts. I guess if so we could just use Texans Fan club Austin. Maybe battle red shirts with white lettering .
Old 07-02-2008   #36
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
The more the merrier!

I just now saw your post Nitro, sorry for the delayed response. I usually only go out if the game is not going to be on local channels. I a broke down and got the ticket last year a few games in and then even couldn't get one game with the ticket, I think that is the time I bumped into HookinReds. It was not a planned event, but there was him and a couple other Texans fans there as well. Point is, you are more than welcome to join me or anyone for that matter, I am sure the close captioning would not be an issue at all, the bartenders/managers are cool there. But I usually only leave the house if the game is not on local TV. I am not getting the ticket this year, that's for sure. I could certainly plan on meeting up there though even if the game is on locally, just to enjoy the atmosphere and get some awesome wings. Let's keep that idea handy as the season gets closer.

As far as 3rd Base and the big gathering, I went to the Season Opener last year and had a great time, it was a ton of fun, and I had a blast meeting a bunch of posters and high fiving, etc. But as much fun as it is, I just can't make it downtown that much, maybe once per season. Between the kids, my wife, a few trips to Houston for home games that takes care of most of our getting out on Sundays. And when I do, it's pretty darn convenient and cheap to go down the street to Pluckers.

Which pluckers do you go to, the one in Round Rock ?
Old 07-02-2008   #37
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Which pluckers do you go to, the one in Round Rock ?
Yes, right off of 35 next to Academy.
Old 07-02-2008   #38
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i can honestly say that i never made it past the lemon pepper drums at pluckers. that's all i get and am totally satisfied each time like the first time. i can make it there or to the lakeline location.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #39
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We need to find the owner of a bar that is a Texans fan. Anyone have any ideas or connections?
See my quote below from the first page of this post.

We had that kind of bar you all were talking about. Owned by a huge Texans fan, free food supplied, yes free, pizza, hot dogs, and killer drink specials. We had this place all to ourselves, but no one showed, only a handful and then no one but myself. The Saxon Pub was the place, but the north austinites said it was too far south, and the the rest didnt shoe because the team was losing, so we moved to 3rd Base.
The Saxon is open to the ides again, or I could find out, but after 6 years of trying to get people to show and coordinating all of it I am done. I have an email list if someone wants it, and I will inquire about the Saxon but thats all I can do. Y'all let me know if thats what you want, otherwise we can do what ever the majority says here, heck I even opened my home to doing it and only Specnatz showed, I have the Ticket and a 56" Samsung , but not going to do that again.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #40
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

I would also like to add, that for several years now I have ran the "Austin-Houston Texans fan club" and there is always tons of chatter here but the numbers dont lie. When it comes time to show up at the "voted establishment" based on chatter from these threads they just dont match.
What I am saying here is I have tried so hard every year and it may start with a bang but by game 6 or 8 its really a dud.
I have an email list of over 60 TExans fans who signed up for these watch partys but only a handful really showed up. I made every road game watch party even when I had season tix, and sometimes I was the only one there.
If you all get it going more power to ya, and I hope you do. Anyone who wants to take on the weekly emails and posts and emails I sent out, just pm me and I will turn over "the list".
One off the main issues has always been north or south, and that was never settled, except I did meet a few from N Austin when we were at 3rd Base.
I hope to see all you I met before real soon, lest get it going somewhere, thanks.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read