Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 06-19-2008   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AUSTIN fans! Where are we gonna watch?

Can we get it going at Third Base again? I'll definitely be there for week one. It would be nice to take over that back room again and then ride the winning streak into the playoffs. I'll drag Barrett and a small crew there. Bigwig, will your crew be there? I'll gladly deal with the GM to make sure we have a setup that works for Nitrohonda.

Second, I'm thinking Home Game Caravans! Who has season tickets and drives down in time to tailgate. It might add another dimension to this season's SUperbowl run!!!!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AUSTIN fans! Where are we gonna watch?

Is this game on Austin local channels or Sunday Ticket?

I am nervous about Vince taking over half our games up here...

I would like to join in on a few game this year. Third Base sounds good to me.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #3
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

If they haven't changed their management then no. The manager knows how to work it. He does not like the closed captioning on despite what he may have told some of you people in the past. Period. Because he feels that it would distract from his other customers. I've had him personally tell me this. The only option that he's willing to do is caption them from the Network rather than changing a single TV over and captioning all the TVs would distract the rest of his customers according to him. That's the issue that I'm having with them. The last I heard, he's still the GM there. I was just there about three weeks ago during the day eating while I was waiting for my girlfriend to come out of the plastic surgeon's office right next door which is the only reason I went back in the first place.

I happened to bump into Ben (he's the guy who set up the whole thing for Third Base. Rides a stunt motorcycle. Hard to miss it outside. A sweet black R6 with the transformers logo.). I was STUNNED because Ben is my former Supertiendent's (sp?) son and we grew up with him. It had been 15 16 years since I saw him last. He's very very familiar with the Deaf community and is an expert signer. He used to skateboard with us students growing up since he lived on campus with his father and family. It was great seeing him so I explained the situation to him and he said that he would take care of it!

Alas, the response came back the same from the GM. Ben's now hopping mad and has stated that he would seek further review with the owners of Third Base on the GM's disregard for the ADA laws. He claimed that he was in real close with the owners. I believe him but at the same time, I'll believe it when I see it.

My feelings on the matter remain staunch. The GM has to go before I return to Third Base. Period. I'm fairly confident that he will be gone but until I receive confirmation, I'm going to continue to attend the bar that I went to alone for most of last season.

As for the caravan... ARE YOU NUTS??? I'm SO in! I've got a minivan and a babysitter. Fits seven people. Five open spots. Or.... *shudder* a bus? That option was once offered last season for the Denver game but it fell apart due to lack of commitments (myself included. I had to back out for a reason which I don't remember at the moment. Funds maybe?)
Old 06-19-2008   #4
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Is this game on Austin local channels or Sunday Ticket?

I am nervous about Vince taking over half our games up here...

I would like to join in on a few game this year. Third Base sounds good to me.
Sunday ticket. LMAO.

Time to revisit this...

K-EYE SUCKS! K-EYE SUCKS! K-EYE SUCKS!

http://www.keye42sucks.com/
Old 06-19-2008   #5
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What about Pluckers? I have never been to the downtown one before, so I don't know the setup but if it is like the one in RR it would be an option.

As far as caravanning, I would be probably down for that for a game maybe two. I plan to make it a weekend visiting family on the other side of Houston a time or two (hopefullly my Dad's cancer will be in remission and I can bring him out to a tailgate), and I might do the hotel thing once in the season.
Old 06-19-2008   #6
Mean Machine
Veteran

Rep Power: 114 Mean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey Guys,
I've never met y'all but I live in Round Rock and have season tix to the games since year 1. We tailgate in the Blue Lot, we're the Battle Red Bunch', do come by if you are at a home game.

That being said, after the debacle with keye last year, I got a Dish. But it would still be coool to find a place that Texans fans could call home.
As I see it, at 3rd base we'll just always be a very small niche, since they cater to all games.
We need to find a place that's small, has a good tv, and can truly cater to Texans fans. The Saints have the SHoal Creek Saloon, we need a small place like that.

One place, Ihaven't contacted them about it, that fits that bill is La Morada restaurant up at Parmer and Mopac. They have a room, big screen, great food and drinks. We could maybe set up there and watch, get them to get some Texans stuff on the walls, it would be really cool.
Anyway,
just a thought
Gary
sec 637: Gridiron, Texas.
Mean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #7
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

ideally i would agree. i know i always reference the packers but it's because i have detailed knowledge of their system since i married into one of their kind. billy's bar over on burnet and handcock is the kind of joint you are describing. the guy who owns it is a packer fan. it's a tiny bar and they pack it in. it's great.

the key to that though is that the owner is a packer fan. just like at shoal creek, the owner is a saints fan... i think you see where i'm going with this. you'd be hard pressed to find a houston texans fan in austin. much less one that happens to own a bar.

if one exists then it's a no brainer. until then, i vote to keep it at 3rd Base. ASSUMING YA'LL SHOW UP. (which i lost faith in last year.) Big Wig was right.

anyways, I vote to keep it there because if you keep changing it up every year nobody knows where to go. (other than those of us who are obsessive and check the message board 5 times a day) on good days there were 20 or 30 people there that i didn't know and had no idea how they knew about the back room at 3rd base.

speaking of the back room, that's kind of the main reason i'd like to keep it there until we find a Texans owned bar. Having that back room to ourselves (IF YA'LL SHOW UP) kind of gives us that "bar of our very own" kind of feel. That and again, it's centrally located. I think that's key. We've got fans spread all over town. If it's too far north the south austin guys have to travel twice as far and visa versa if it's too far south.

If the people turn out, we can turn any medium sized bar into HT central. we were plenty loud for the Carolina game.

as for Nitro vs. The GM... that's appalling to me. I'd like to think someone who is connected could bully this dolt into doing exactly what we tell him.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2008   #8
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

furthermore, i just did a search for sports bars in central austin and ... ugh... slim pickin's!
Old 06-19-2008   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Hardcore Texan;940339]What about Pluckers? I have never been to the downtown one before, so I don't know the setup but if it is like the one in RR it would be an option.[quote]

Umm, Pluckers is a UT bar. I know the owners and they are UT fanatics. That would be hell! I do like their wings though.
Old 06-19-2008   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Machine View Post
Hey Guys,
I've never met y'all but I live in Round Rock and have season tix to the games since year 1. We tailgate in the Blue Lot, we're the Battle Red Bunch', do come by if you are at a home game.

That being said, after the debacle with keye last year, I got a Dish. But it would still be coool to find a place that Texans fans could call home.
As I see it, at 3rd base we'll just always be a very small niche, since they cater to all games.
We need to find a place that's small, has a good tv, and can truly cater to Texans fans. The Saints have the SHoal Creek Saloon, we need a small place like that.

One place, Ihaven't contacted them about it, that fits that bill is La Morada restaurant up at Parmer and Mopac. They have a room, big screen, great food and drinks. We could maybe set up there and watch, get them to get some Texans stuff on the walls, it would be really cool.
Anyway,
just a thought
Gary

The problem with a small place is that we need it to have DirecTV and the Ticket because we're in Austin and at least 3 games will be blacked out in favor of Tennessee and another game will be blacked out in favor of Dallas.
Old 06-20-2008   #11
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

We had that kind of bar you all were talking about. Owned by a huge Texans fan, free food supplied, yes free, pizza, hot dogs, and killer drink specials. We had this place all to ourselves, but no one showed, only a handful and then no one but myself. The Saxon Pub was the place, but the north austinites said it was too far south, and the the rest didnt shoe because the team was losing, so we moved to 3rd Base.
The Saxon is open to the ides again, or I could find out, but after 6 years of trying to get people to show and coordinating all of it I am done. I have an email list if someone wants it, and I will inquire about the Saxon but thats all I can do. Y'all let me know if thats what you want, otherwise we can do what ever the majority says here, heck I even opened my home to doing it and only Specnatz showed, I have the Ticket and a 56" Samsung , but not going to do that again.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #12
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
What about Pluckers? I have never been to the downtown one before, so I don't know the setup but if it is like the one in RR it would be an option.

Umm, Pluckers is a UT bar. I know the owners and they are UT fanatics. That would be hell! I do like their wings though.
Yes, they are UT fanatics that's for sure. But as a regular at the Round Rock location I can tell you they usually have the Texans games on with sound to support a Texas team. Unless that is the cowpies are playing at the same time, then you know the drill.

I sent you a PM once but didn't get an answer so I'll ask you here, are you a Pluckers club member and did you get on the plaque on the wall, there's a guy on there with your same username you use here?

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 06-20-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #13
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I am moving to San Marcos to go to Texas State soo i will be close and up for it on away games.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yes, they are UT fanatics that's for sure. But as a regular at the Round Rock location I can tell you they usually have the Texans games on with sound to support a Texas team. Unless that is the cowpies are playing at the same time, then you know the drill.

I sent you a PM once but didn't get an answer so I'll ask you here, are you a Pluckers club member and did you get on the plaque on the wall, there's a guy on there with your same username you use here?

That's not me, I don't think.
Old 06-21-2008   #15
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i live in leander and have 4 season tickets ( cheap seats ), i wanted to make 3rd base for the road games but it's to long of a drive (especially when my wife will drop me of down the street where they have the ticket), i heard it was a nice place. i promised my self at the end of last year that i'd make at least one gathering so i hope you guys figure out something. i'll even make 3rd base if i have to. there's not alot of room here for texan fans between the cowboys and horns
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #16
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm in Round Rock as well, and after making the road trip to 3rd base for about the first half of the season, I started camping out at Pluckers in Round Rock too. They had the games on inside too, but watching at the outside bar was better, even when with the cold, it just made it better. The bar tenders and Managers had a good time with us as well. They would have the Texans, Titans, and Cowboys on if all were playing at the same time...and boot the Titans game to a smaller TV if there was a conflict. Just too convienient for my Bronco buddy and myself to pass up. It's where my buddy and I will be again this year.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #17
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
I'm in Round Rock as well, and after making the road trip to 3rd base for about the first half of the season, I started camping out at Pluckers in Round Rock too. They had the games on inside too, but watching at the outside bar was better, even when with the cold, it just made it better. The bar tenders and Managers had a good time with us as well. They would have the Texans, Titans, and Cowboys on if all were playing at the same time...and boot the Titans game to a smaller TV if there was a conflict. Just too convienient for my Bronco buddy and myself to pass up. It's where my buddy and I will be again this year.
I saw you there last season and said hi, introduce myself, etc. It was during one of the games that keye showed the tits over the TEXANS.
Old 06-23-2008   #18
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I saw you there last season and said hi, introduce myself, etc. It was during one of the games that keye showed the tits over the TEXANS.
...and hope to see you there again this season.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #19
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
I'm all the way in Del Valle but I'd love to join you two. Is this just a two person sort of thing or would you like to have some additional loud Texans fans with you?

I have a place but it's lonesome all by my self on gamedays. You should see the looks that I get sometimes screaming with nobody around me. You should know. We've met.

All I want is one tv with the closed captioning on. I know Pluckers will comply. Just one single TV. The rest do not have to have them on. Just one.
Old 06-29-2008   #20
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWig View Post
We had that kind of bar you all were talking about. Owned by a huge Texans fan, free food supplied, yes free, pizza, hot dogs, and killer drink specials. We had this place all to ourselves, but no one showed, only a handful and then no one but myself. The Saxon Pub was the place, but the north austinites said it was too far south, and the the rest didnt shoe because the team was losing, so we moved to 3rd Base.
The Saxon is open to the ides again, or I could find out, but after 6 years of trying to get people to show and coordinating all of it I am done. I have an email list if someone wants it, and I will inquire about the Saxon but thats all I can do. Y'all let me know if thats what you want, otherwise we can do what ever the majority says here, heck I even opened my home to doing it and only Specnatz showed, I have the Ticket and a 56" Samsung , but not going to do that again.
you continue to break my heart BW. and the sad thing is, you've got every right. man was i frustrated come last seasons end. i just don't understand after those first few games that were SO MUCH FU(KING FUN for EVERYBODY why people didn't keep coming back? and the fact that we COULD have the Saxon all to ourselves is even more frustrating. all i can hope is that when we start winning this will be easier.

in the mean time, i'm going to assume that there will continue to be a centrally located austin watch party until the fan base picks up. lets get it done!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read